Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel tank regulations

Hello All,

I have started to begin my SVo conversion of my Apr 94 Discovery, however I have been unable to locate the regulations of installing aheated tank. I have consulted the vicroads website. They have three Vehicle Standards Information (VSI) sheets that I thought might help, namely 8, 20 and 22 but they were not relevant to diesel fuel tanks.

The applicable design rule is probably Australian Design Rule (ADR) 42, general safety requirements, but it seems you may have to purchase these standards.

Does anyone know what the requirements/constraints are for installing a heated fuel tank containing vegetable oil, or can someone redirect me to the source of information that will tell me.

Kind Regards

Scott Hayward

Re: fuel tank regulations

Scott, from my experience;
    There would be no regulations relating to heated fuel tanks, as there are a novel design.
    The requirements would be that the tank is fabricated with baffle(s) and welded in accordance with the appropriate Australian Standard. The tank I had made has a makers name and identification number on it. The filler cap is specially made with 4 melt plugs in it which allow the tank to vent if involved in a fire.

My 70+ litre steel tank cost me $850 6 months ago. The maker refused to add heating coils to it, but I brazed a copper pipe maze to the bottom as a heat exchanger.
    Tony
    Tony From West Oz
    Vice Chairperson of WARFA
    Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 25 July 2006, 11:18 PM.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Thank you Tony for the information,

I think you must be correct about thier being no regulations on it because it is a "new" thing. I have managed to aquire Australian Deisng Rule 42 - general safety requirements for vehicles, and it does not mention anything related to fuel tank design. Reviewing the Vehicle Standard Information, I see that the requirement for the filler on the outside of the vehicle is for petrol engines, so I am fairly happy to proceed.

As for your getting the tank welded to Australian Standards, I don't see why this should be an issue? The tank is not under pressure (I am assuming that the filler cap will allow air to be sucked in. I will test it first.) Which welding standard did you choose? For petrol or diesel tanks? I am assuming there are welding standards for these because it it very dangerous to have volatile petrol going everywhere in the event of a crash. However my mechanic tells me that some fuel tanks are now made out of plastic.

Thanks for the input

Scott Hayward

Comment

gidays guys,
        my powerstroke tank is plastic with 2 straps holding it, this is the factory diesel tank, there is a regulation for l.p.g clyinders mounting brackets which i install, if you install youre tank, make sure the holding bolts have a large plate in front of them so they dont pull through in a accident, this would be roadworthy, tell them it is aussie bloke approved and they should be happy with that.
        cheers mark
        2003 F250 powerstroke 100,000km
        3 cly deutz diesel
        2 cly deutz diesel
        1994 2.8lt hilux 50,000km

Comment

Have you thought of trying a truck wreckers for a small tank off a light commercial truck? I noticed one the other day which was a nice square size and looked like it may hold around 100L or so.

I think if you got something like this which would have to have been certified to be used on the original vehicle in the first place and added some sort of external heating which did not comprimise the tanks construction, you would have to be within whatever regulations are in place.

That said, I am of the belief that WVO is classified as a food rather than a fuel, so maybe you need to be looking under the regs for food transportation?
          As a lot of the oil originally comes in plastic drums and thin walled tins, I really doubt if there are going to be any regs of consequence.

Perhaps you could email the traffic authourity which would give you a written response you could keep a copy of or give them a call with your question and let them find the answer for you?

Comment

Working...
          X