Waste Oil Supplies in ACT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waste Oil Supplies in ACT

Hi everyone. I never realised that these regional forums where here!

I live in Qbn and buy my bio from either Marulan or Sydney when im up there. Most of the time Im running my ute or regular diesel due to lack of supply of bio down here.

Im about to get my ute converted to run on WVO aswell. (2 tank system) I realise that people dont want to give away too much about their suppliers, but I was just curious as to whether ACT bio/wvo users had any difficulty in securing sufficient supllies of waste oil, and whether you have to pay for it, or it is given away to you.

Cheers
    Have a nice day. :)
    AngusF

Re: Waste Oil Supplies in ACT

Angus,
    You will find that we are quite helpful here in Canberra and in fact once settled here you may get offered supplies as occassionally we may pickup a extra pickup that we don't need and then offer it up for grabs...
    Firstly how much wvo do you think you will need?
    Secondly find supplers that will cater for your needs. i.e. not much point getting a Fish and Chip shop that moves 200litres a week unless you can either use it or off load it.
    Since you are in Queanbeyan I would suggest that you hit up any resturants locally often they will dispose of 10 to 20litres a week and to get someone to pick it up is often difficult.... I know of one that is already being collected..

e.g. I have 5 pickups that give me about 200litres a month

You may get lucky and find one that will supply all you need but be prepared to have many pickups. then again if you happen to get too much there maybe some of us running low that could help out moving it for you...
    hdj80
    Last edited by hdj80; 21 August 2008, 09:23 AM.
    HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
    Canberra

Comment

I have about 4 pick ups at present and get on average 500ltrs a month. I give away about 150ltrs a month to one of the guys here. My biggest pick-up I pay $1 for a 20ltr can.

The key is to provide a service. For two of my suppliers I return the empty tins to them as they have moved to a bulk delivery system, but still need the tins to remove the waste. For others they just want to get rid of the waste as they don't have enough for the grease man and it's a pain for them to remove it to the dump.

Try the restuants and pubs around Queanbeyan, the big oil users like KFC, Maccas and the fish 'n chip shops already have theirs removed for them and will be reluctant to change. Best time to go is in the evenings, but before the restruant gets busy.
      Maverick
      Canberra

Comment

Thanks guys for the info.

Yes I have got a small supply of oil (about 200lts) which is settling and waiting for my converison to take place. The reason I asked the questions was that I went to a place in Queanbeyan about 2 months ago to enquire how they disposed of their oil and the dude took me out the bank and showed me his entire cool room almost full of 20lt cans of cottonsead oil. Probably well in excess of 600lts. I didnt commit to taking it then as I still wasnt confirmed that I was getting the conversion done. I went back the other day to collect it ( as I am now booked in for the conversion) and he had already gotten rid of it all and told me that he had other people coming around looking for his oil since then.

So I was just trying to gauge whether they was sufficient supply of free oil in the region for everyone or whether people were having to pay for it to secure their supplies.

Thanks again for the info.
        AngusF

Comment

Oh, and with regard to having too much oil, I have just bought a 1200lt above ground fuel tank on ebay to store my unfiltered oil and I have an old 400lt fuel oil tank I will use as a settling tank. So if you have excess oil that you cant store or use and need to off load it somewhere, I am happy to help you out and come and collect it for you.

Thanks again for all your info.

Gus.
          AngusF

Comment

A mate of mine did some thing similar with a large stock pile of oil and when he want back found the same. On thing you learn quickly is you never say "not now" to a supplier, you take as much as you can right then and there and come back for the rest latter that day. As I said you have to provide a service or they'll quickly find some one else who will.

SWMBO has learned to live with oil cans.
            Maverick
            Canberra

Comment

Working...
            X