Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VW 2.0tdi cant run bio

Hi all
    I was on the verge of buying a vw 2.0tdi but asked I vw if it can be run on bio. The answer was no not even a blend so im sorter leaning against it now (shame it was a steal!) Any body got some info on this?

Cheers

Re: VW 2.0tdi cant run bio

You may care to read this, as far as I know its a fear campain, it illogical and misinformed.

http://www.biofuelsforum.com/sydney_...biodiesel.html

It may help to ask Robert exactly this question too.

Matt
    Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Thanks for your reply ive pm Robert

Comment

Dieseldude, personally, I think that VW Australia's position on this is a big pile of steaming horse poo, but I am not really well qualified to make that statement publicly .

Now, I am by no means an expert in this, I'm just a bloke (who like you) thought that this looked like a nice car for biodiesel. I actually seriously considered buying one (and may still) and thus investigated in my own way. I've not got any hidden info, or even any reply from VW (they completely ignored all my requests). Anyway, everything that I know on this issue, I've already posted in here.

So, where to find it? Searching on terms like "VW" in this forum might help (if there are not too many), but there are also some issues like particulate filters which may be relevant to search as well. I'll try and collect a few links for you to start you off: VW's position on biodiesel; Some discussion on particulate filters; Some more specific discussion on DPF; and finally, another thread that sums it up and has a few other links in it that are worthwhile following. There are more of course, but you should be able to find them all from there.

At the end of the day if ever you have any problem in any vehicle and the manufacturers can weasel out of being responsible, they will. Bad batches of fuel are one of the favourite methods, so covering this eventuality with a warning, will make it easy for them to say things like "we can't replace your faulty brakes under warranty as you used biodiesel".

Finally, I'll leave you with an excellent link that another VW owner posted up a while ago telling of several current release model VWs driving across 14 countries on 2 continents (25,000kms) on biodiesel. Seems that they were quite happy to promote their vehicles running on biodiesel in other parts of the world, while locally in Australia treating biodiesel with the same contempt that our own Federal Government seems to be. A real shame really, for everyone, for the biodiesel users, for VW's lost sales and especially for the planet.
        Robert
        Administrator
        Last edited by Robert; 27 July 2006, 12:48 AM.
        Robert.
        Site Admin.

Comment

Thanks Robert for your replies!
          So have you purchased a vw?? I was on the verge of a 2.0 tdi 29000!!!For me although the car isnt mega bucks i still dont want to run the chance of stuffing the damn thing up, id hate to think of the repair costs!! I need some concreate evidence that maybe not now but in the future a 2005 spec vw can run happily on the slick stuff with vw aproval. I dont mind running petro diesel for a bit then if its passes tests start using bio. I know you can stick almost anything in a diesel and it will run but for how long is my concern i dont want to end up under the damn thing!! We need an insider at vw to tell us the hard facts!! Maybe some cheap bio would be a good bribe.

Cheers

Comment

No, I'm not up to renew my Land Rover until March next year, so I have a bit of time to make the decision still. I can't remember what I wrote to them about now, but I'm sure I was going to offer to only ever run the car on B100 commercially produced to Australian Spec from day 1 and let them look at it for their own education. I was quite annoyed that they just never bothered to answer me at all.
            That last link I referred to, where several new VWs drove over the Americas on biodiesel might be a good example of whether the new VW will work, but sadly it still differs from their official position.
            They will pretend in some places in the world to support bio by saying that they have no problem with 5% biodiesel, but this is still a long way from real support. I have heard of some fleet buyers demanding they still offer a warranty for the vehicle to run on B100, but for the rest of us individual buyers, it is a little harder to negotiate with them.
            Personally, I'd be prepared to take the risk of buying one and trying it. I severely doubt I would be having to fix the car as a result, but my only question remains would I buy a car from a company who has just ignored all the correspondence I have ever sent them as they consider it too difficult to answer.
            Robert.
            Site Admin.

Comment

Point taken
              But being a little sympathetic towards VW at least they are making quality diesels and are trying to head in the right direction while trying to survive along the way. Personally I wouldnt reconmend using bio if i knew theres a chance of cars comming back from people putting poorly made diesel in. Selling cars is there bread and butter!

Comment

Agreed. Like I said, I've still not made the decision. I just tend to get a little bolshie about biodiesel . They are nice cars, but it is not just VW who are behind, particularly in Australia. Land Rover also told me that I couldn't use biodiesel, but I still did, I guess VW would be the same for me.
                Robert.
                Site Admin.

Comment

Robert, mate I can only add that it should be a sham about this but look here

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/foru.../610104208/p/1

If it were me I would try some well made fuel in it and see what happens. I do not think you will harm anything by using it once and by this I mean of B100.

A fuel warming device is not required for an intelligent user. The car will return very good mileage on diesel so if you like it buy it and try b10, 20 or 50 or nothing.

Peugeot say the same thing about my car but it seems to run fine. 307Hdi 04 model.

You choice at the end of the day, your money too.
                  Matt
                  Biodiesel Bandit

Comment

Why is VW Australia saying the opposite to VW Germany???. B10 is LAW in Germany!!!!LAW LEGISLATION!!! In GERMANY YOU CANT BUY ANYTHING BUT B10 or greater.
                    Lets face reality---The Oil corporations are in bed with the car manufacturing corporations having wild sex, and little johnny howard is makin' dirty movies of it.
                    FEAR comes from lack of understanding!! You dont fear something you know all about. The Gov. relies on FEAR, George Orwells book "1984" was a prophecy not fiction. We now live in it, 1984 is mandatory reading for politicians.
                    Go to VW Essendon as i recently did, and and you will see a showroom filled with Diesels. Ask the salesman about Biodiesel and he will reply with sudden fear "Whats that?".
                    darren leonadas
                    Last edited by darren leonadas; 28 July 2006, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Hi Folks,

I have recently spoken to a source within a certain German auto maker. And here is the reason for their no BD policy here. FUEL QUALITY. They are worried about the quality of the "homebrew" BD. And as the "industry" is still "green" (excuse the obviously terrible pun) they still believe even commercial BD may suffer from QC issues.

I have been told that in QLD it should be no problem because there is some QC up there(??). Also been told there should be no prob anywhere else as long as the fuel is up to standard.

If your at all worried use a blend rather than B100.......in fact this was stated to me as they are aware of the German B10 thing. .I obviously can't state that your warranty will remain in force, but as I like many other people are considering a car capable of running on the stuff it is interesting to note..

Comment

Hey Radman99, I come from Qld but what's QC? Only kidding!

I do mine my the seat of my pants, check once, check twice, measure, assess and then maybe do it and document it! Learn by experience that way.

I agree with your assesment of the situation, there is really nothing stopping any diesel from running biodiesel apart from its quality. Make it well and they will come.

Matt
                        Biodiesel Bandit

Comment

Originally posted by Matt

Peugeot say the same thing about my car but it seems to run fine. 307Hdi 04 model.

Matt
                          Matt I have an '05 one of these, I don't suppose you have alink to the pug information?

I was just going to ask the local dealer but I have an idea of what they may say.

Geoff
                          Telegraph Point NSW
                          Landcruiser GXL '96 - 80:20 blends
                          Pug 1.6 HDi - 308 Touring Wagon - definitely not game :-)

Comment

should have looked first

http://www.peugeot.com.au/PEUGEOT/AU....home&FFFF1765

The use of Biodiesel has been examined by Automobiles Peugeot in consultation with expert representatives from Biodiesel producers, refiners and injection equipment manufactures. The Peugeot HDi range of vehicles can successfully operate on Biodiesel which meets or is equivalent to the EN14214 Standard to a maximum blend of B30.

Biodiesel fuels which do not meet this standard or exceed B30 should not be used as it may affect the longevity and performance of the vehicle and will void elements of the manufacturer’s warranty.

I guess I will need to ask what elements?

Geoff
                            Telegraph Point NSW
                            Landcruiser GXL '96 - 80:20 blends
                            Pug 1.6 HDi - 308 Touring Wagon - definitely not game :-)

Comment

Peugeot will not say anything and as for invalidating your warranty, the same goes for dirty mineral diesel, they will run as fast as they can away saying we will not cover that. All car manufactureers will do this. Fuel in no way is covered by a warranty.

As for problems above B30 then tell my car what it is, I know of another 05 or 06 model running B100 to with no real issues apart from a slight power drop. Mine is the same.

Try it if you are game otherwise don't, your call but it does work quite well enoughjt to be used as a substitute. I have unitl now used 20% methanol in my batches which I wash very well and dry likewise. This would give me 90% + conversion of the oil leaving < 10% oil etc. I am not really happy with this and will be working towards 25% methanol to give me 95% + conversion (by reclaiming methanol)

Let me know but as for the Golf's and Audi's with the same moter they would fall intot he same boat. VW content requirement satisifed.

If you want to furher this exchange please create a new one as a Peugeot thread as as to not make a mess of this VW thread.

Matt
                              Biodiesel Bandit

Comment

Working...
                              X