Diesel Mechanics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel Mechanics

In another thread it asked to list Bio friendly service workshops. Saw this ad in 4WD Monthly September 06 issue, page 193.

Berrima Diesel Service
    ph 02 48771256

In their 10 point checklist
    No 4 :Setting up injectors to atomise and burn Australia's poor quality fuel. Using Biodiesel? We can tune your vehicle........

At least there is someone willing to advertise for Bio work. It would be interesting to hear their opinion on Bio use in engines.
    Unfortunately they are nowhere near me. Does anyone have any experince with them? An interview put on the forum would be great. Might bust some myths.

Re: Diesel Mechanics

I am not sure about Berrima but Cooma Diesel can rebuild and calibrate your pump, new calibrated injectors post them off to you so you can get your local guy to install them. In fact your local guy probably sends the pump to Cooma Diesel anyway i.e. if you have a Toyota. Pumps have to be set on a Injector bench (they have proper name can't think of it at present) and they cost over $100,000 each Cooma have 4 of these the newest is a computer operated a really awesome piece of kit.

Tuning a diesel engine (as long as it is in good nick) only requires the injector pump and injectors to be calibrated for the fuel you are using. and a mechanic to fit the bits to the engine and set the timing.

So it sounds like Berrima have a bench with Biodiesel in it for pump calibration. That is good news.... Berrima are one of the big guy's out there but I have heard varying reports??? My work will always go to Cooma they have a great shop and staff are brilliant....

My last tune up cost $2300 that included Injection pump rebuild/calibration, 6 new calibrated injectors and install.

You should do this every 140,000km's approx
    HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
    Canberra

Comment

There really isn't any need to recalibrate the injection volume and/or pressure when using biodiesel, it is only the injection timing that may need a bit of a fiddle.

Biodiesel burns a bit quicker than petrol diesel, so you may have to retard the timing a bit. I set my timing half-way between the optimum for biodiesel and petrol diesel. That way I can go either way, and since there is usually a blend in the tank, it is spot on.

Comment

Terry Syd
        I was only referring to the 140,000km's vehicle maintenance schedule. Then get the pump setup for Biodiesel if you have the option....

Did you notice any difference in the engine when you retarded the timing?
        HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
        Canberra

Comment

OK, now I'm on the same page. Yeah, getting the injectors overhauled on a regular basis is a good idea. I had a mate with an injector overhaul business and he had a unit where you could put the injectors into a clear plexiglass device and regulate the pressure to all, say four injectors at the same time.

He could match up the point where all four would open at the same time. He could also see at glance if the spray patterns were uniform. Sometimes the nozzels would be damaged or dirty and the patterns were completely stuffed. Instead of a spray, you might be getting dropplets or a stream of fuel. Definitely worth the expense to get the injectors matched and spraying properly. Go to someone that can use that equipment. Purchasing rebuilt injectors off the shelf is an act of faith.

Biodiesel has a slightly different spray pattern than petrol diesel. If I remember correctly, only coconut biodiesel has exactly the same spray pattern as #2 diesel. I suppose if someone had a uniform source of feedstock, he could have the injectors set up for the biodiesel made from that feedstock. If a person was running a SVO conversion, it might pay to have the injectors set up for that fuel.

About the timing. Since biodiesel burns a bit faster, the 'rise time' of the pressures is a bit sooner. At part throttle, where the cylinder charging is reduced, this translates into a bit more throttle response and low end torque. This is because the complete burning of fuel occurs closer to top dead center instead of sometime well after TDC.

However, once you give it full throttle the rise time occurs too soon and the engine is having to compress a burning mixture that is trying to expand. This translates into a bit less top-end power.

For me, I find the optimum timing using biodiesel at full throttle, then back off the timing just a tad. This puts the timing 'in the ball park' for both petrol diesel and B100 at full throttle. The difference between the timing for petrol and biodisel is only a few degrees, so splitting the difference works for me, especially with a blend in the tank.

Comment

Terry Sid
            What are the symptoms of injectors needing an overhaul?

Comment

Rough idling may be the most reliable symptom of the injectors needing an overhaul/clean. Some of the cylinders aren't firing as well as the others.

Comment

I wish they would get their heads out of the sand...

I just called a well known injection mechanic today to see if I could organise some tune ups on my LC and I asked about Biodiesel. Well did I get it "No warranty, Bad stuff, Kills everything" I was really pissed off.. They said that they have lots of examples of poor bio and I said that I am in contact with over 10,000 people world wide and I have not heard of a problem... But oh no they had all the examples there on hand....

Anyway I just could not be bothered.....
                HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
                Canberra

Comment

Local in down town Fyshwyk (deliberate misdirection there)? I know the place, that is a real pity, take a sample of yours over and educate them, they need to open their mind a bit. Mind you they know diesels!

Matt
                  Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt
                    Local in down town Fyshwyk (deliberate misdirection there)? I know the place, that is a real pity, take a sample of yours over and educate them, they need to open their mind a bit. Mind you they know diesels!

Matt
                    That's the ones and - YES - that is what makes me so wild is that they know diesel's and probably better than anyone else in Australia and are really nice guy's, But their head is stuck in the sand (or is it). I didn't mention it before but......(this was also mentioned by the mechanic that I ended up booking my 80 in with) the problem they said was not so much with the well made Home Brewed Bio but the guy who couldn't give a toss and also the distributed bio????? I know some guy's in this list do buy it from the bowser but..... I have in the past had bad dino diesel in my 80 and that isn't nice and bio I believe lends itself even more so to contaminants when stored in the wrong/poor conditions, so was my understnding.. Really I hope that that was a uninformed comment. Please correct me.....

That is a good suggestion Matt "I WILL TAKE THEM A SAMPLE" In fact I will give all the mechanics I see a sample.
                    HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
                    Canberra

Comment

Working...
                    X