Africa a green gold rush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Africa a green gold rush

(automatically updated/inserted from The Big Biofuels Blog)

Africa is becoming a the next battleground for biofuels, according to an article in Speigel on-line. The story was pointed out to me by David Benson, a regular commenter on the blog.
    To me it points out the need for informed free consent by the people affected to the deals that the biofuels companies are offering. It also points up the robust ethical approaches that companes should be taking to ensure that locals are not squashed by people in power in the countries that they want to operate in. It also points up the need for transparancey in the payments that companies make in the processes of gaining permits and permissions.

I do take issue with the idea that small farmers are the best way to exploit the African land. Look at Zimbabwe as an example of what happens when industrial farming for cash crops is replaced by susbistence farming... Ok the situation is complitcated by the kleptocracy which runs the country.

I wonder if any of the companies mentioned in the Speigel on line would like to story would like to respond?

More (from The Big Biofuels Blog)...
Working...
X