Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elements The end of a saga?

Hi all
    It appears that people are having difficulties in obtaining a satisfactory element for their reactors
    I have posted a link to a site that provides an answer to the issue but at a cost that I consider to be a bit on the high side
    This is a professional unit specifically designed for biodiesel production over a 44 Gallon drum, here is the link,
    THE PRICE IS around $450.00
    http://www.grimwoodheating.com.au/OT...ankheaters.htm
    I had a lengthy discussion with some people as to what the biodiesel producer will look for as well as a price that makes it a reasonable proposition
    I am of the view that we can do something around Half that price
    I asked for a 1.25 or a 2 inch screw fitting with 2400 watt element capacity, that is 10 amps, including a variable thermostat 40-110 C with a knob all wired up, as well as a 2 metre lead and plug
    In other words you weld a fitting to your tank screw in the element way you go
    Stay tuned, supplies of this element will be available from the Melbourne Chapter
    Cheers
    Chris
    Cheers
    Chris
    Never give up :)

Re: Elements The end of a saga?

Hi Chris. Any updates on this heater. Regards Paul.

Comment

I also emailed and asked Grimwood their pricing on this Special Biodiesel heating element, but the response I got was close to $600 and that was in the last month or so, can find the email at the moment, but it was extremely pricey...

Comment

I priced grimwood and another major company only ten dollars difference, they cost about $580 that was about 4 months ago.

But the element is made to handle very caustic solutions, so maybe it would last much longer than the normal hot water element.

Comment

Intresting.

I have spoken to a Electrician friend of mine and you can get a standard uprite hotwater heater element for $45 and then add a themo controler with a remote thermo couple to measure temp away from the controler eg. closer to the tank and heater.

Usally they would use 2 of these for a 200L tank but the elec said that heating to around 55C with a single element with moving liquid would be OK cause of the movement and not just convection heating.

Not tried this yet but this was the plan for my cooker if I could have sourced a supply of Oil.
          Dave

Comment

Thats the path i will go i think i havent priced normal hot water elements yet but i think they would be fine, everyone else is using them and i havent seen any problems with them mentioned.

Would like to know what the smallest wattage required for 150lt of oil is, i dont really want to use a 2400w as that means i cant circulate and heat at the same time with one power point, would prefer to use a 1500w or at the most a 1800w so that i can heat and circulate at the same time from the one power point.

Comment

Originally posted by Dodge
              Thats the path i will go i think i havent priced normal hot water elements yet but i think they would be fine, everyone else is using them and i havent seen any problems with them mentioned.

Would like to know what the smallest wattage required for 150lt of oil is, i dont really want to use a 2400w as that means i cant circulate and heat at the same time with one power point, would prefer to use a 1500w or at the most a 1800w so that i can heat and circulate at the same time from the one power point.
              Use 2, 2400W elements in series, so each gets 120V instead of 240, each will provide 1/4 of rated power, giving a total of 1200W with a low heat density.
              Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
              '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
              '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
              '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
              '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
              '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
              '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
              '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
              '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
              '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
              '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
              '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
              '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
              Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Hi all
                I got a call from the supplier last week asking me what I thought of the prototype element as he has send them off to me
                I have not seen them as yet
                I have made a call to the man today
                It seems to have gone missing in transport
                Any way we now have an electronic solid state thermostat with it all for under $200.00 as well, which is pleasing
                I do expect to have a result on this guys
                I am sorry about the delay it seems that the gremlins got into the act
                Will keep you posted

Cheers
                Chris
                Cheers
                Chris

Comment

Ok
                  Tracked it down The courier mob could not find us
                  Amazing we occupy a 4 acre site
                  Never mind The package found is way back to the manufacturer
                  It is on the back to us now should have it tommorow with a bit of luck worst case Monday
                  If it arrives Tommorrow I will post photos up
                  Cheers
                  Chris
                  Cheers
                  Chris

Comment

Have to reply to this one guys, call Stokes Australia in Melbourne. They will make up anythign for you and have a large range of commercial elements suitabel for bio. State what you are going to do and ask them for the ones with some corrosion protection and best of all they make long ones with low energy density (ie the amount of energy given off over the surface area of the element).

I use 2 1800W elements in series to give me 3600W which is 15 Amps at 240V but the energy density is down around 3W/square cm. They are about 800 mm long and are folded back on themsleves for at least about 2m of element each.

Anyway they cost about $130 each from memory so look them up and call them, all they do is make heating elements! The have a 2 inch threaded base too.

http://www.stokes-aus.com.au/

No affiliation at all, I just shopped there!
                    Matt
                    Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt
                      Have to reply to this one guys, call Stokes Australia in Melbourne. They will make up anythign for you and have a large range of commercial elements suitabel for bio. State what you are going to do and ask them for the ones with some corrosion protection and best of all they make long ones with low energy density (ie the amount of energy given off over the surface area of the element).

I use 2 1800W elements in series to give me 3600W which is 15 Amps at 240V but the energy density is down around 3W/square cm. They are about 800 mm long and are folded back on themsleves for at least about 2m of element each.

Anyway they cost about $130 each from memory so look them up and call them, all they do is make heating elements! The have a 2 inch threaded base too.

http://www.stokes-aus.com.au/

No affiliation at all, I just shopped there!
                      Matt
                      Thanks for that Matt
                      There is no question about Stokes or any other element manufacturer They will make just about anything
                      The arrangements with the people I have put in place are:
                      The element will be for heating oil
                      It will be 2400 watts only drawing 10 amps
                      It will be supplied with a socket
                      It has a built in Electronic thermostat from 0 to 99 Degrees C
                      or 40 to 110 C with plus or minus 1 degree variation
                      It will come in 2" or 1.5" bsp as well, with the right socket ready to weld on
                      Available Australia wide! from any electrical wholesaler and just under $200 dollars gst included any where in Aus
                      I would have thought that this is a very fair deal for all in this forum
                      If I was to add up what you have posted it will be closer to the $350 dollar mark if you include a thermostat with the same features
                      You also need to weld glands to place the bulb inside the tank immersed in the oil something you dont have to do with this element
                      I have tried to simplify all aspects of the heating element issue for our users here the manufacturer has told me that he is prepared to alter whatever we need given sufficient feedback from people
                      I think that this is a good result so far
                      Cheers
                      Chris
                      Cheers
                      Chris

Comment

Thanks tony, i had forgot about that idea.

Sounds good to me $200 is a good price, looking forward to seeing some
                        pics.

Comment

OK
                          Here it is as described prior have a look at the shots
                          We need feedback on this fellows
                          Now there are two versions depicted there one with the fixed temp thermostat the other with the electronic thermostat
                          The first one has a s/s cover over it the other is remote mount with the thermocouple attached to a 1.5 metre lead
                          Slip the end of the lead into the tube welded already into the element and mount the electronic display int the box any where convenient
                          Cheers
                          Chris
                          Second photo next posting
                          Chris
                          Last edited by Chris; 27 August 2006, 12:54 PM.
                          Cheers
                          Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Chris
                            OK
                            Here it is as described prior have a look at the shots
                            We need feedback on this fellows
                            Now there are two versions depicted there one with the fixed temp thermostat the other with the electronic thermostat
                            The first one has a s/s cover over it the other is remote mount with the thermocouple attached to a 1.5 metre lead
                            Slip the end of the lead into the tube welded already into the element and mount the electronic display int the box any where convenient
                            Cheers
                            Chris
                            Second photo next posting
                            Second image here ( upload is crap )
                            Cheers
                            Chris

Comment

They both look good, so how much are they.

Comment

Working...
                              X