Blending with Avgas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blending with Avgas

If any of the members here have first hand experience could you please share blending ratios?

Let's keep it short please.

Thanks
    Fitian
    <><

Re: Blending with Avgas

I use 2 qt. to 10 US gals. of WVO blend, mix it up. seems to help for cold starts.
    thx Ron

Comment

Dave, if you know that qt means quart, then I am sure you can figure it out. However, remember that one US gallon does not equate to one Imperial gallon before you do the calculation. You should know that 1 qt (US) = 946.352 mL, or that 2L = 2.113 qt (US). For imperial measurements, 1 qt (Imperial) = 1.136 L, and 2L = 1.761 qt (Imperial). Does that help? (Oh, I think I have that right - quite a few years since we in Australia made the conversion from Imperial measurements, and almost as long since I had to do the American conversion for aircraft fuels)

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Jones
        What the hell is a Quart??
        David,
        I will help you here, the ratio being suggested is "2 qt. to 10 US gals. of WVO blend".

As a quart (qt) is a quarter of a gallon (in whatever variety you like), the ratio is 2/4 :10 ie 1/2:10 or 1:20.

I hope this helps.

Tony
        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
        '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
        '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
        '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
        '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
        '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
        '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
        '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
        '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
        '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
        '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
        Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

i think that some clarity is needed:

Avgas = high octane petrol for piston engined aircraft (similar to petrol)

Avtur, Avcat, Jet A1 etc etc = well refined kerosine type fuels for aviation gas turbine engines. (similar to diesel)

i just don't want to see anyone confused.
          Hope this helps
          Cheers Nick.
          Cheers
          Nick.
          Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW
          sigpic

Comment

Hi Fitian

Simply put, Avgas should not be used as a blend fuel as its octane value is too high. Hi octane means the fuel resists ignition, more so than low octane which ignites more readily. Diesel fuel use a cetane value which is a measure of the oil's ability to ignite readily. Theoretically, a diesel engine should be harder to start using an Avgas blend.

If you must blend with diesel, use the lowest octane fuel you can. Somewhere on this forum there is a post on this subject, unless it was lost in the CRASH
            Cheers
            Bruce

1976 W123 300D (3 litre 5-cyl NA diesel running on SVO since June 2006)
            1982 W126 280SE (Sadly is For Sale)
            1993 W124 300D (3 litre 6-cyl NA diesel - being converted to SVO)

Comment

Sorry for the mixups!
              but in USA I have always bought milk, and fuels,and any type of liquid,
              by 1 US gallon,
              1/2 US gallon, or
              1 Quart. I think quart is from old England,not sure
              there is also a pint which is, 2 pints equal 1 quart,also from old England
              1st time i seen a Litre was in a soda container about 15yrs back, HMM!
              soda is called tonic in northeast USA, carbonated drink in some parts,
              YUP! it sure is a mess, talk about a messed up world, we can even messup the world of money, and stock markets!
              but look at the fun were having.
              OH! yes, what about this ounce thing,(OZ) is that from the Wizard??
              or is it Australian, damifino!
              Thx Ron

Comment

Fitian, I blend using used veg 10%-15% Kero or Jet-A1, 5% ULP or Avgas and the reccommended amount of centane boost.
                Hope this is what you were after.

Crobarr.

Comment

Thank you all for the info.
                  All your replaies are highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
                  Fitian
                  <><

Comment

A friend of mine who works in a jet aircraft hanger gets alot of free jet-a1 fuel (they have to drain the tanks of the aircraft quite often, and are not allowed to reuse the fuel in the aircraft) and he runs it in his diesel with 5% 2 stroke oil. He reckons it's down on power slightly from running diesel.
                    I'm experimenting with a 20% jet-a1 mix in my filtered WVO, and it seems fine.

Comment

Originally posted by bruceT View Post
                      Hi Fitian

Simply put, Avgas should not be used as a blend fuel as its octane value is too high. Hi octane means the fuel resists ignition, more so than low octane which ignites more readily. Diesel fuel use a cetane value which is a measure of the oil's ability to ignite readily. Theoretically, a diesel engine should be harder to start using an Avgas blend.

If you must blend with diesel, use the lowest octane fuel you can. Somewhere on this forum there is a post on this subject, unless it was lost in the CRASH
                      While this is an old thread, I thought I would update it with more recent findings. The issue of cetane seems to be irrelevant with blending various kinds of petrol with waste oils to make diesel fuel; thus Avgas should be just fine as a blending agent, as well as jet A, which was also mentioned down thread.

Comment

interesting info, rethinking about it, probably wouldnt make any difference anyway.

Avgas is expensive anyway ,(unless you get free). and JetA is close to diesel fuel , it just makes my engine more noisey at idle.

Comment

Originally posted by ronbros View Post
                          interesting info, rethinking about it, probably wouldnt make any difference anyway.

Avgas is expensive anyway ,(unless you get free). and JetA is close to diesel fuel , it just makes my engine more noisey at idle.
                          The point of blending aviation fuels in diesel fuel blends is these fuels can be acquired free or cheap out of date. If JetA causes your diesel engine to be noisy, then it sounds like you are putting too much into your blend. JetA is 50% kerosene and 50% petrol, so it should be blended at about 25-30% with waste oil, although it is best to check the viscosity of your blend with a viscup.

Comment

I'm a new member, previously in aviation . don't know why anyone would use Avgas, its expensive, its a type of petrol formulated for use at altitude...
                            Its now only commonly available as 100LL (100 octane Low Lead) the higher octanes 100/130 and 110/145 previously used in high performance aero engines are not easy to get if at all. Unleaded auto petrol at 90+ octane is not much different to 100LL, although I don't think any petrol would cope with a diesel engine's higher compression pressures.
                            Jet Fuel (Jet AI) is a form of kerosene and from experience works well in Diesel Engines but has a low lubricating value (lubricity). Aircraft engine fuel pumps are designed for the fuel. An Automotive Diesel using Jet A1 would need an additive to limit the wear in the fuel pump. 5% 2 stroke oil seems too much and too expensive, 50 to 1 (2%) 2 stroke oil lubricates a whole 2 stroke engine, and in this case you only need to lubricate the the fuel injection pump.
                            Jet A1 in the mix is ok! filtered WVO ? How does it perform? How did you arrive at 20% mix? does it stay blended?

Comment

Hi Jeffrey,
                              Originally posted by Jeffrey S. Brooks View Post
                              JetA is 50% kerosene and 50% petrol,
                              Indeed it is not. Jet A as well as Jet A1 is 100% kerosene (not counting the 0.1% of additives that may or may not be present).
                              tillyfromparadise
                              Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 5 December 2011, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X