No announcement yet.

Biodiesel Workshop and my first post :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biodiesel Workshop and my first post :)

Hi,
    How do you book to go to the UWA Biodiesal workshop on Sunday 27th August?
    Edit: now Im booked

I havent even begun to make any biodiesel yet as Im trying to learn as much as I can about it but I have one huge advantage, I own a fish and chip shop BUT I use the 50/50 animal fat stuff because 1.Its cheap and 2. It tastes better and we would kill off our customers if we were to change...

At least I can start off with fairly clean oil (good filter) its just hard to keep it liquid form...

Oh and I bought the Tasman book (Simple Biodiesel) already *me/ hides* and I found it a good read for someone that hasnt done anything like this before.
    AMLagonda
    Biofuels Forum Newbie
    Last edited by AMLagonda; 6 August 2006, 03:02 AM.

Re: Biodiesel Workshop and my first post

Originally posted by AMLagonda
    Hi,
    How do you book to go to the UWA Biodiesal workshop on Sunday 27th August?
    Edit: now Im booked

I havent even begun to make any biodiesel yet as Im trying to learn as much as I can about it but I have one huge advantage, I own a fish and chip shop BUT I use the 50/50 animal fat stuff because 1.Its cheap and 2. It tastes better and we would kill off our customers if we were to change...

At least I can start off with fairly clean oil (good filter) its just hard to keep it liquid form...

Oh and I bought the Tasman book (Simple Biodiesel) already *me/ hides* and I found it a good read for someone that hasnt done anything like this before.
    Hi there
    How lucky are you mate May I make a suggestion to you
    If you have two vats in your shop why don't you do a trial run?
    Put up a sign and let your customers know that their have a choice of straight vegie oil cooked fish and chips or your long standing "magic mixture"
    Surely that will give you the feedback that you need wont it?
    It remains me of an episode some years ago
    In Dubbo NSW there was a lot of competition amongst butcher shops The butcher with the best turnover as well as all the other butchers where interviewed by a bunch of final year students from the local Uni doing a degree in marketing
    The most successful butcher said that it was the fact that he sold mince meat at $1.99 per kg others of course had various views as to why they where successful in the face of stiff competition amongst themselves as well as Coles and Woolies
    The students also interviewed a lot of customers that come out of the shopping centre with meat purchases in their shopping to find out what attracted them to the different butchers shops
    It was found that the most successful Butcher was not the lowest price of mince meat but the fact that he was the closest on to the car park and people did not want to carry the meat a longer way than necessary
    The guy put his prices of mince up to the same level as all the other butchers He also employed a couple of young kids on Friday's and Saturdays to carry the meat purchased at his shop to peoples cars
    His business increased further as well as his margin after that
    The guy was convinced that he had the busiest shop due to the low price of mince
    Alas that was not the case
    It may be the same case here may be not
    It will do you no harm to find out and have your vehicles run for a very low cost without risking your customer base
    May be with the healthy eating trip now days you may increase your customer base
    Just a thought, Even though making biodiesel with a fifty fifty mixture is not a problem if you where to adopt SVO precautions in you vehicle(s)
    Cheers
    Chris

</IMG></IMG>
    Cheers
    Chris
    Never give up :)

Comment

Congratulations.
      To seperate the solids/ liquid oils, I filter through a tshirt in a drum. The soild fats stay in the tshirt, the liquids flow through. It is not fast however.

Perhaps a straight veg oil system for using the tallows would be an idea?
      cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Don't worry too much about the animal fat issue, biodiesel made from it will be fine on the warm days. In the depths of winter in the colder parts of this country it may be an issue. I live in warmer parts and I run on bio made from oil just like this all year round. 50/50 tallow to vege oil. Yes its semi solid at room temp say 20 degrees C but the bio will stay liquid down a bit further than this.

Matt
        Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

LOL some customer asked me today what I do with my old oil and my wife quickly told him that our future plans are to make biodiesel and that Im going on a course to learn to make it and hes like "its really hard to do you know" I said "yer I know".

Must be a growing club these home brewers.

Comment

Hey, I'm sure we'd all like to know about the UWA biodiesel workshops. If anyone could post any info in a thread, or as a calendar event that would be great (Tony?).
            Robert.
            Site Admin.

Comment

sustainability.ofm.uwa.edu.au/welcome/biodiesel

UWA Biodiesel Workshop
              AMLagonda
              Biofuels Forum Newbie
              Last edited by AMLagonda; 12 August 2006, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X