land wanted to lease for new crop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• land wanted to lease for new crop

I am looking for land to lease for NEW crop in Australia to produce Biodiesel.
    Looking for around 4/5000 acres

Re: land wanted to lease for new crop

Originally posted by rainboaussie
    I am looking for land to lease for NEW crop in Australia to produce Biodiesel.
    Looking for around 4/5000 acres
    Hi
    Can you tell me what is the NEW crop please mate, I may be in a position to help
    How much water does it need? How long do you want the land for?
    Cheers
    Chris
    Cheers
    Chris
    Never give up :)

Comment

Hi Chris,
      The crop is Jatropha /a oil producing bush or small tree .
      Rainfall requirements are minimul around 7/8 inches /yr -prefers summer rainfall
      I am perhaps looking for only a small area this year (2006) for a trial ,but with the option to lease a larger area .
      I would prefer waste land if possible ,as good cropping land is much better to be kept in normal crops --this crop will grow on marginal lands ,not used for other purposes .
      If successful in Aust ,the trees last 30/50 tears and should start to produce a worthwhile crop after 3/4 years

Regards

Calvin Muller

Comment

Cool Stuff,
        At least someone in Aus is giving Jatropha a go.Please have a read of the Jatropha thread in here.As there is a lot of controversy in Australia regarding it.
        Also before you go about selecting the variety do a well researched study.There are about 931 ientified varieties identified.And about 60 species being cloned as we speak.
        If you need any help re selection and stuff give me a shout.
        Also have a look at Chinese Tallow.Chris has done a detailed posting on the same.
        But mate it's great to see someone willing to give Jatropha a go.Which state are you in as in 2 states it has been declared as a noxious weed by our govt. .Without off cource much qualified information for the public.In fact Mr.X has called it the Internet Plant
        Must admire the guys ways of disemminating knowledge to the public.

Anyways please feel free to give me a shout anytime if you want to know more about jatropha and the multi compound extracts and compounds that the Plant produces.

Cheers
        Sauman
        P.S.:Have a yarn with Chris.He will also throw some light regarding plant selection.

Comment

Originally posted by rainboaussie
          Hi Chris,
          The crop is Jatropha /a oil producing bush or small tree .
          Rainfall requirements are minimul around 7/8 inches /yr -prefers summer rainfall
          I am perhaps looking for only a small area this year (2006) for a trial ,but with the option to lease a larger area .
          I would prefer waste land if possible ,as good cropping land is much better to be kept in normal crops --this crop will grow on marginal lands ,not used for other purposes .
          If successful in Aust ,the trees last 30/50 tears and should start to produce a worthwhile crop after 3/4 years

Regards

Calvin Muller
          Hello Calvin
          Mate where are you on this? this IS A DECLARED weed in this country Unless you have spoken to the department and there is a change of law in the last few weeks I would strongly suggest you check your facts before you go anywhere with this one
          Sorry about that, I do not want to enter into any lengthy to and fro on the merits of Jatropha either
          That is the Law of the land as it stands
          Cheers
          Chris
          Cheers
          Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Sauman
            Cool Stuff,
            At least someone in Aus is giving Jatropha a go.Please have a read of the Jatropha thread in here.As there is a lot of controversy in Australia regarding it.
            Also before you go about selecting the variety do a well researched study.There are about 931 ientified varieties identified.And about 60 species being cloned as we speak.
            If you need any help re selection and stuff give me a shout.
            Also have a look at Chinese Tallow.Chris has done a detailed posting on the same.
            But mate it's great to see someone willing to give Jatropha a go.Which state are you in as in 2 states it has been declared as a noxious weed by our govt. .Without off cource much qualified information for the public.In fact Mr.X has called it the Internet Plant
            Must admire the guys ways of disemminating knowledge to the public.

Anyways please feel free to give me a shout anytime if you want to know more about jatropha and the multi compound extracts and compounds that the Plant produces.

Cheers
            Sauman
            P.S.:Have a yarn with Chris.He will also throw some light regarding plant selection.
            Hi man
            I am out on the cold on this one Sauman My mate just got a huge fine as well as a three year good behaviour bond ( he was in contempt of court as he voiced his view of the situation rather strongly ) over serrated tussock another nasty weed
            Worst of all it spread from the next door property which is owned by some Gov authority
            But he coped it really bad Three court appearances $8 K in cost's as well as a fine and a bond Plus a very expensive clean up excersise of the weeds Not a good thing
            Cheers
            Chris
            Cheers
            Chris

Comment

Chris
              You are right mate.
              Keep out of there way.Thanks for the advise mate.I get carried away at times
              Keep smiling and shining
              Cheers
              Sauman.

Comment

New imformation on Jatropha >
                There are 163 varities of Jatropha species
                According to reply from AQIS ,there are only 6 of these varieties quatantine from being imported into Aust .
                We are sourcing a NON quantined variety of seeds from India ,and I am sure questioning the likely hood of whether the plants could spread like weeds .I ,for one ,being a farmer ,would certainly not be interested in importing anything like weeds
                Will keep you updated
                Calvin Muller

Comment

Good work Calvin, glad to hear that the strain you need is not one of the quarantined varieties. I'd be very interested to see more info on this topic and I would like to get some real info available for other farmers and the biodiesel community in general about growing Jatropha in Oz.

Which variety were you looking at planting here that IS allowed?

Am I right in thinking that there is still some concern that even if you planted this non-quarantined variety, there is still concern that it will spread like a weed?

(I may move this subject to a new thread once we get some more definitive info on it.)
                  Robert.
                  Site Admin.

Comment

Calvin,
                    Great Stuff.I had given the Jatropha thing to be a dead issue in Oz.
                    We need to talk.
                    I will be in Oz soon...hopefully.
                    Been involved in the Jatropha Revolution in India for last 14 months.
                    If not all strands are declared a Noxious weed then it is a bummer.We can really win on this one.In fact there are actually 931 varities identified so far.Few cloned varities and lot of work happening here in India.
                    We have a pilot plantation that is bearing upto 45% oil.
                    But again expelling and seed prep is the key.
                    Like de cortication,stage wise expelling ,preferably 4 stage expelling so that final oil content in cake is reduced to about 7~7.5%.

Mate would love talk about it.have you got skype?

Cheers
                    Sauman

Comment

If it passes quarantine we need some more information on this crop.

Frost tolerance?
                      Temp tolerance?
                      Water requirement?
                      Pest susceptability?
                      Soil type?
                      Nutrient requirements?
                      Harvest technique?

Are we beter off using proven farming practices to grow crops like cotton, soybean, canola for their oil producing capabilities??

Comment

Hi Folks,
                        A lot of study and research has to be done if at all were are serious about introducing Jatropha In oz.I am involved in this thingy for quiet a while now.
                        More then just making a fast buck ,this plant has many many uses and the deravatives and excat species ,selection etc. needs to be undertaken seriously.
                        If you go through my earlier posts on the subject you will know what I mean.
                        The best upfront option would be to get the Govt and a few Uni's involved to carry out the research on behalf of potential farmers to be.
                        That way a systematic analyisis region wise can be conducted.Species identified,soil testing done,weather conditions defined...all that.
                        As of yesterday,there are 1032 varities identified worldwide...so you know the humungous task.Plus a few varities are being cloned in Agrentina and Brazil and Mallia

So in my oppinion if someone wants to involve in Jatropha farming and plantation in oz.They should first involve and carry out in debt research in collaboration with Institutions and Govt bodies.And proceed from there.

Just jumping the gun and going head on may result in disaster.

Cheers
                        Sauman

Comment

Hi Sauman,
                          I am on Skype and Yahoo --Will be back home tommorow Thursday evening --let me know your call name plz ..
                          Calvin Muller

Comment

Hey Calvin, just put your skype/yahoo deatils in your profile, then they will appear at the top of your posts under your other info (you will see Sauman's are there in his post before your's).
                            Robert.
                            Site Admin.

Comment

Rainboaussie,

If it's any use to you, I have 5 acres of marginal (that's being kind) land in central Queensland.

A far cry from the 4-5000 you are looking for, but it also a concrete floored shed and a newish poly tank.

I have long been toying with the idea of growing Jatropha or Chinese Tallow trees there, then processing in the shed, all powered by my own product run in a diesel genset. You know, the utopian self sustained pipe dream.

If you can show me that it's not illegal to grow in Queensland, and want to either come up here or supply me with seedlings, I would be agreeable to running a pilot plant type trial of your idea.

The land is already absolutely infested with "mother of millions", which is a declared noxious weed.

I have a couple of diesel rotary hoes coming as well, and had planned to try an assault on the place, to clean it up.

I wouldn't know much about the agriculture, but as an instrument fitter with extensive experience in pipe fitting, pumps, valves, etc, I'm sure I could knock up an awesome reactor.

Around this area, ethanol is on everyones wish list. If it could be made using ethanol (which most say it can't), you might find some real support round here.

At least until some big oil lovin' pollie decided to smash us like bugs.

The only thing that concerns me is that I have read that Jatropha is highly carcenogenic, even from just handling it. I have also read that there is a Mexican variety that is low on the toxin that causes this.

Would love to see something like this happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X