Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BP ultimate ? does it sound like bio diesel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BP ultimate ? does it sound like bio diesel?

I came across this:

BP Australia - Products and services - Fuels - BP Ultimate - BP Ultimate Diesel

Higher cetane, cleaning ability, reduced Nox...

walks like a duck...

Does any one know for sure?

Re: BP ultimate ? does it sound like bio diesel?

Walks like a duck .....

Still smells like dinosaur dung to me.

BP does not sell biodiesel blends, or at least did not last time I searched the BP website.

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

No, doesn't sound at all like biodiesel to me, but could very well have a smidgeon in it to improve lubricity. However I doubt they wouldn't advertise that.

Comment

They have had this on trial in Perth for some time.

Check out this link below for VW forum site and one of the members was
        trialing it but did not see much improvement on fuel economy which is something they state you should find happens.
        Neil.
        BP Ultimate Diesel for Perth People - VWwatercooled Australia

Comment

looks like a duck....

Would BP describe chickens in a duck like manner to try and get more of the duck market?

Would BP spend more in one year changing their logo to a sun than they spent on renewables?

Well the second one is yes, probably the first too.
          cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

My search of the link above failed to reveal anything on bildiesel and also the BP page linked from the above link also did not mention biodiesel either.

A quick search of the BP site reveals this page Biodiesel search - first result
            Which states that "BP does not currently market any biodiesel blends."
            Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
            '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
            '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

David,
              The post in the VW site was made over 12 months ago and there was no reference to biodiesel or bio diesel on that forum topic either.

I agree that the word "currently" implies that they may or may not be "currently" selling biodiesel, depending on the writing date of the original document. One would hope that BP would try to keep the information on their site relevant.

Perhaps I am expecting too much from them.

BTW, did you get the info you wanted on the MB vacuum pump rebuild ?

Regards,
              Tony

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Can't imagine BP adding Bio to their fuel.
                Bp is the official fuel that VW recommend and the first thing you notice
                when filling a VW is the "NO BIOFUEL" on the inside of the fuel door.

Comment

Originally posted by neil View Post
                  Can't imagine BP adding Bio to their fuel.
                  Bp is the official fuel that VW recommend and the first thing you notice
                  when filling a VW is the "NO BIOFUEL" on the inside of the fuel door.
                  Maybe, but my BMW also has that written on the fuel filler cap and I have an official statement from BMW saying that B5 is just fine. The reason, they claim, is that manufacturers can have up to 5% biodiesel in their distillate product without legally needing to declare it.

Anything above that and the consumer needs to know apparently. Maybe the BP Ultimate Diesel is B5?

Regards,

Paul
                  Two BMW 120d (April 2007 & June 2008)
                  Both running B100 (from WVO) since new
                  26,000km & 27,000km @ 3/4/09 and going strong! :)
                  web.mac.com/nitramluap/Biodiesel

Comment

G'day,

BP"s website refers to the marketing of Biodiesel products in Australia. BP is certainly one of the largest, if not the largest investor into Biodiesel cultivation and research in the world.

Oh, and incidently BP invests more money into solar R&D, production, marketing, education than any other private sector corporation. These policies were created during the era of Lord Browne as CEO, and although the current management of Peter Sutherland have continued to support alternate fuel investment , there is considerable shareholder disapointment at a lack of support from various governments and motor industry sectors, including suprisingly, the contined irrational attacks from the green left. In the current economic climate it will become increasingly difficult for the directors of any major oil company to withstand shareholder demands to reduce unprofitable alternate fuel investment, especially as the rapid advances in electric propelled transport capture the public imagination.

BP's has actually increased investment into maritime biodiesel production , despite the reversal of the oil market price for bunker oil and marine grade diesel.

Comment

If I was a money hungry petrochemical company, scared of people comming up with an alternative to my product, I would put R&D dollars into the alternatives so in the event of something being discovered, I would hopefully own it. A bit like if i sold fuel for back up generators, I would also develop and sell solar panels as well. I would also write product descriptions sounding like biodiesel, so people would think they dont need to use biodiesel to not screw up the planet, but my fossil fuel would do nicely.

Of course if I was interested in the environment, I would be trying to push as much biofuel as possible, so as the cost of oil went up I sold more biofuel, not announcing record profits (of about 9.9 billion dollars a quarter) Sure could make a lot of biofuel for that much.....
                      cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Well Captain, it would appear that in your eyes BP can't do right , no matter what they do!

What is it that you so resent ? Is it that BP have successfully supplied a considerabe part of the energy source that made the incredible advances of the twentyth century possible? Is it the incrediblely expensive, risky, and capital intensive, research and development undertaken by BP into such widely diversifiedoil products as plastics, medicines, fertalisers, etc.. all extremly beneficial to mankind.? Is your resentment based on the inevitable environmental down-side of any major human advance.(you seem to ignore that even Biodiesel has environmental critics!)

Or does your resentment really stem from an envy of BP generating a profit for it's shareholders? (therefore BP must be an evil and sinister organization?)

You say you could produce a lot of biodiesel for $ 9 billion a quarter? I presume you would do this altruistically! Ah, but thats the problem isn't it? no one will give you $9 let alone $ 9 billion without a hope of return. Even modern governments are not that foolish. Easy to say, but do you possess the political, organizational, business experiance to manage such a vast enterprise?

What ever BP's motives, if BP can produce a non polluting energy product to replace the dirtiest of all fossil fuels, BUNKER OIL, for maritme use, then BP will have done more for the health of the planet, than all the hopeless dreamers and hobbyists put together! Anyone, truly concerned for the health of our oceans would be encoraging BP's efforts and giving credit where credits due! Oh, and I hope that such a product increases BP's profits, as this may provide incentive for other corporations to produce similar solutions.

Comment

xavier, get a life, and one that doesn't totally rely on BP. Didn't I see on TV this morning (whether it is accurate or not, I don't know - maybe a little understated) that BP made an 83% profit in the September quarter in Australia? Yeah - not ripping off the customer are they?

Comment

Originally posted by xavier View Post
                            What is it that you so resent ?
                            That BP sells a product that is damaging the environment, possibly irreversably, for profit.

Frankly medicines and plastics will be of little use if the environment is uninhabitable. Mind you so long as there is a good dividend on the shares there will be some rich corpses about.......

Comment

Originally posted by xavier View Post
                              SNIP

What ever BP's motives, if BP can produce a non polluting energy product to replace the dirtiest of all fossil fuels, BUNKER OIL, for maritme use, then BP will have done more for the health of the planet, than all the hopeless dreamers and hobbyists put together! Anyone, truly concerned for the health of our oceans would be encoraging BP's efforts and giving credit where credits due! Oh, and I hope that such a product increases BP's profits, as this may provide incentive for other corporations to produce similar solutions.
                              While BP may be able to produce a fuel which does not pollute as much as bunker oil, I would like to see how much $ they have put into its production as compared to the $ they put into bunker oil production.
                              How many litres / tons of this fuel have they produced, compared with the one it is better than? I bet they have produced much less than 0.00001% of the amount of bunker oil they have produced.

Just because they CAN do it, doesn't mean that they WILL do it, or that they will continue to do it once they have the publicity for the research outcomes.

Well, back onto topic.

Does anyone know if BP are selling any biodiesel / blends in Australia at all?

Regards,
                              Tony

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Working...
                              X