X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple Seperation questions :)

Ok maybe not simple but I will ask anyway

This raging issue with VP and their Blended? Diesel of ?%

I may well be WAY off the mark here but at least someone round here is likely to know one way or the other.

dinoDiesel blended with BioDiesel will produce an end product that you get from the pump or that you can mix on your own. They are totally different chemically but mixed none the less.

What if you had a blend like this and let it settle in a glass jar for a week/or several, is the SG of dinoDiesel and BioDiesel different enough, are the 2 compounds different enough to allow for seperation in a glass jar?

What I am in a long winded fashion asking is could it be possible to purchase a sample of the Blended fuel from say VP and let it settle in a jar to get layers of dinoDiesel and BioDiesel?

Would be a crude test to measure the blened quantity of the mix if it were possible.

I am a total dunce when it comes to chemicals and their properties. Never did like science at school, now I know why I should have payed more attention.
    Dave

Re: Simple Seperation questions

Hi Jacka

OK, petro diesel has a density of about 0.84 g/cm3 and biodiesel is about 0.88 g/cm3. There is a small difference here so you might think that settling is possible. But if you mix the two, you will see that they mix completely, so I reckon that you would see no separation, even if you waited months or years. Instead, I think you would basically get a mixed "diesel" fuel with modified density eg. if 50:50% mix, density would be 0.86.

Comment

Working...
    X