No announcement yet.

would this idea be helpful for buying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• would this idea be helpful for buying?

I have been looking through the forums over the last couple of days and noticed quite a few queries regarding locations where BD could be purchased.

I have been working on another little project with whale watchers and thought the concept might be helpful here.

I made a few changes and produced this (arbitrary test points only)

http://www.telepoint.biz/biodiesel/nsw.php

Forget the bit about cybertracker for the moment (unless everyone has a PDA with GPS) and work with the idea of an input form collecting the details as shown.

Any point in proceeding? would it be helpful?

Geoff
    Telegraph Point NSW
    Landcruiser GXL '96 - 80:20 blends
    Pug 1.6 HDi - 308 Touring Wagon - definitely not game :-)

Re: would this idea be helpful for buying?

Hey Geoff, I love it.
    If you want some space on this site (or sydneybiodiesel) to put the page, let me know.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Comment

I have a PDA with GPS and would be happy to get the GPS locations as I travel around if that would be helpful?

Don't get to the Nth Shore all that often but do travel south and Newcastle and Taree at least 2 or 3 times a year.
      Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Geoffwin
        I have been working on another little project with whale watchers and thought the concept might be helpful here.
        I read this and I thought you were going to suggest we start using Blubber.
        HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
        Canberra

Comment

some stuff did drag over from the previous project, I am quite sure that whales would be suitable but probably better not to go there.

Does anyone have some real data now? would require decimal lat and lon as well as some info re: location (as per popup). Email to me.

Any suggestions as to additional info required, and if enough have PDA and GPS I am happy to put a small sequence together to collect data (in cybertracker).

If you understand what I am saying and you have real data I am happy to give access to DB to enter info (for a few) As mistakes could be messy please be sure you know what I mean before volunteering :-)

Geoff
          Telegraph Point NSW

Comment

Ok I don't have any gps locations at the moment but could get both Ingleburn and Minto VP outlets which sell a blend of whatever B?

I have just downloaded cybertreker so I don't know it just yet but am always up for learning Just need to work out how it works I would be up for some pointers etc on how to make it work if you happen to know.
            Dave

Comment

thats great, cyberttracker allows you to create a "sequence" which is basically a series of input screens on your PDA (using stylus), this info is saved on PDA until it is synched with your PC when it is uploaded into the database.

The database info can then be exported in a number of ways that can then be put straght into the DB and so show up on the maps.

Have a play with a couple of the example sequences with cybertracker to get the idea, it was originally produced to all conservation related data, the GPS function allows for accurate placement.

I will put together a sequence for the BD collection, when you are at a BD location you run the sequence and enter the data (name address etc) and save.

Another option is a data input form, basically you could use the GPS to get the lat lon and then manually enter the data into the form - the lat lon info is the critical part, if it is wrong the icon will not show at the right spot.

I have just updated the links in the navigation bar to show individual state and territories - any feedback appreciated

Geoff
              Telegraph Point NSW

Comment

Cool if you can put together a sequance for thr data collection I will start on it straight away could be fun another use for GPS/PDA other than street dir.
                Dave

Comment

That's excellent! Similar to this www.biodieselamerica.org.

Not sure how you have configured things but I understand that Gmap now has reasonable support for Australian post codes.

share the cost of commuting

blogging for the socially conscious

Comment

The setup there is slightly different, I am unsure on how much support there is for Aus. postcodes but reverse geocoding will not fit into my current schedule.

I had a number of options to allow data entry, at this stage I thought it important to be able to "vet" entry and allow only data that had been checked physically. This is a bit more intensive but allows for greater confidence.

The process is fairly straight forward and if someone (perhaps state reps?) wanted to help by receiving information, checking validity and then doing the data input this would achieve a fair bit.

Unfortunately I will be offline for about the next 8 weeks (from this friday) so my input will be limited during that time.
                    Telegraph Point NSW

Comment

I'm sure that we might have some volunteers in at least some states to review the data before it gets officially released.
                      Perhaps the best way forward from here would be if you could provide a brief structure/outline for what you would expect people to do in order to make this work. If you can tell us exactly what processes we should follow in order to make sure that the data gets to you in a manner that is useful and easy for you to work with, then we can take it from there and go gathering the data while you are away. Hopefully if the instructions are clear and the people follow them properly, then when you get back in 8 weeks it should not be too time consuming for you to input the data. If you are able to/want to delegate any of this stuff, maybe there will be some people happy to help - sort of like an open source project. It could be really good if a few people got together and cooperated to build something bigger.
                      Also, if you need any hosting for it, I'm happy to help - just ask.

Cheers,
                      Robert.
                      Site Admin.

Comment

We are moving on a bit with this, basic info required for input (at least in the initial stages)> For at least now the maps will remain at the current link www.telepoint.biz/biodiesel/

Have a look and play, please get back if there are any problems or questions.

Latitude (decimal Lat only): eg -31.500555
                        Longitude (decimal Long only): eg 148.465733
                        Business Name: eg Freds Biodiesel
                        Address: eg 53 Jackson Way
                        Address: eg Unit 12
                        Town: eg Telegraph Point
                        State: eg NSW Vic Qld Tas WA SA NT
                        Postcode: eg 2522
                        Business Phone: eg 0265859483
                        Observer: eg Geoffwin
                        Date - eg 08/08/2006
                        written like 06/08/2006

If people wish to email this data to me I will enter it, I ask that people first check the map to ensure that the business has not already been entered.

Please also ensure that the data is accurate, the data in the DB should also be able to be exported as waypoints for various GPS navigation systems.

Geoff
                        Telegraph Point NSW

Comment

Originally posted by hdj80
                          I read this and I thought you were going to suggest we start using Blubber.
                          There's been about 8 tonnes of it available on the beach at Dixon Park (Newcastle) since yesterday afternoon!
                          http://www.abc.net.au/newcastle/stories/s1708447.htm

..Neil

VW Touareg R5 TDI

Comment

For those who know of locations and can get accurate lat lon co ordinates for biodiesel producers / suppliers I have created a quick data form at

http://www.telepoint.biz/biodiesel/data.htm

I suggest that you check any coordinates with google earth before submitting (these data will come direct to me for the next few days) and make the details clear.

If all looks good I will enter the data.

Points to consider -

make sure google earth is showing decimal lat / lon
                            tools: options: view: lat/lon: select decimal)

If the imagery on google earth is good for the location (take a look at Port Macquarie NSW and compare to Rutherford NSW) zoom right in and place the cursor on the site being recorded and read off the co ordinates.

Fill in the form and the job is done.

Geoff
                            Telegraph Point NSW

Comment

Thanks Geoffwin

Already done Ingleburn and Minto CHecked them on goggle earth and looks OK but goggle earth did not provide real good detail at either of those points so just taking pot luck!

Hope that helps
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X