Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palm oil

Hi folks,
    I am looking for information on using waste "palm oil" cooking oil. The drums it comes in is marked "Pure Vegetable Oil" which would lead one to believe it is a healthy oil to cook in, but if you look at the side of the drum it is 55% saturated fats. I won't eat food cooked in this stuff I only want the oil to run my car on, but I am afraid it may have the same effect on my cars arteries as it would on mine!!

I have access to a reasonable quantity of the product, but am finding it is a bitch to process and use. I live in a colder climate, often down to 0c to 5c at night. I tried processing some of this stuff and all seemed ok until I washed it and it cooled and I got a solid mass. It liquifies again easily when I apply heat, but then solidifies when it cools. The info I have says it has a cloud point of 15c.

I tried mixing it 2/3 palm oil and 1/3 cotton seed oil and it certainly improves the problem. I have been carrying 2 bottles around in the back of my ute for weeks and watching it each morning. When the pure palm oil bio is solid the 2/3-1/3 mix is often still quite liquid. But I have found both gelled on a number of occasions(b/cold mornings). I am about to try a 50/50 mix and see if it is any good for my winter fuel.

Has anyone else tried this stuff and had any luck. I imagine it will be a good fuel in summer. I hate having a good supply available and having to knock it back. I really don't want to add dinodiesel to it if I can help it.

I know the purists will tell me that the use of palm oil is decimating the Malaysian forests, but that doesn't alter the fact that it is being used and I am only interested in the waste product, I certainly would not buy it fresh.

If anyone can give me some advice please do so.

Also what is the difference between "cloud point" and "pour point".
    Cheers, Jumbo.
    </IMG>

Re: Palm oil

I see you are winterising your fuel....

Buy yourself a $30 Aquirium heater and after you make your bio and it is in the washtank keep the heater on about 26 degC and it will wash fine then clear up a treat.

All you have to do through winter to keep processing is to keep the bio warm.
    HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
    Canberra

Comment

Working...
    X