Maps for biodiesel locations OZ & NZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maps for biodiesel locations OZ & NZ

The thread actually started here as a suggestion to show where biodiesel can be bought.

http://www.biofuelsforum.com/general...or_buying.html

But it has moved on a bit from there, I have updated the maps and nav bar a bit as well as made a few minor changes to the output. Couple of links in my sig.

Have a look and supply some data if you can. NSW is the only map to have data so far so the best bet is to look there first.
    Telegraph Point NSW
    Landcruiser GXL '96 - 80:20 blends
    Pug 1.6 HDi - 308 Touring Wagon - definitely not game :-)

Re: Maps for biodiesel locations OZ & NZ

Gee you're good Geoff - you even included my suggestions!

Now we just have to get some more data in there.

Eventually we could include a digi photo of the servo itself when you click on it perhaps so you know what you are looking for?
    Cameron
    Last edited by Cameron; 5 October 2006, 06:51 AM.

Comment

all quite feasible but it won't be this lad :-) , when there is enough data entered and we are struggling to provide the bandwidth to the site because of its popularity we can value add.

Lets see how it goes first
      Telegraph Point NSW
      Landcruiser GXL '96 - 80:20 blends
      Pug 1.6 HDi - 308 Touring Wagon - definitely not game :-)

Comment

Yes, kudos to Geoff for the map and his site. Immeasurably useful and helpful to us all.

Now the following burdens need to be shouldered by us:

1. The data collection. Those of you with a GPS, great, those of you without, you can use Google Earth to look up the coordinates (as explained here). The more that people submit, the better the map will be.
        We also have a bunch of listings of biodiesel sellers elsewhere that can be called on. If someone wants to look up their address on google earth and input them, this would be a great help. Perhaps you could also collect data from Paul's site which has some listings. It would be wonderful to collect a complete list and have it available to all. Maybe the folks in WA could input Gull's servos and list them as B20?

2. The hosting and bandwidth issue - I can help out with this, but not in the short term, I have to find some more "integrated" ways to bring this Google mapping ability into the forum. It can be done, but it will take me a while. If it ends up taking me too long, then Geoff, I'm happy to get you an ftp account (as I said I would before) and you can simply upload the site over to this domain. Either way, I'd be happy to assist with this great project.

Now everyone get out there and collect some data for this great idea!
        Robert.
        Site Admin.

Comment

Well, as some of you may have noticed, this map that Geoff suggested is now integrated into the forum ("biodiesel finder" link on the top bar). This means that only forum members can contribute locations to it and it can be easier to manage the data.
          I've already added a few entries to the map (as has Gunner, but when I went to edit it, it removed his name and put mine on. ) It would be great if some of you could also add some locations now so that the map gets well populated.
          I've easily looked up the Lat/Long coordinates of the couple I entered from the site that Geoff suggested here. It is really not hard, so have a go.
          I might also email SAFF and Gull and ask them if they can get the proper coordinates for each outlet, otherwise we'll just have to add them in by the town, rather than the exact address (as I have done with the 2 recent listings for these suppliers).
          Also, Paul Martin has a list here, which people could use to add locations with.
          People could also add Volume Plus servos, but with a warning of course.

I'd like to offer some sort of incentive to get people to add this information (as I get a bit annoyed with doing it all myself), but I'm afraid that I don't really have anything to offer you except perhaps a "running on biodiesel" sticker that we had made for sydneybiodiesel. So please if you can all do your bit to populate the map, it will be useful to everyone.
          Robert
          Administrator
          Last edited by Robert; 4 October 2006, 10:33 PM.
          Robert.
          Site Admin.

Comment

can some updating please be done on this map?
            http://www.biofuelsforum.com/vbgooglemaphse.php

i've sent in co-ordinates for biodiesel sellers in December 06 and they haven't appeared on the map yet.

the independent fuel outlet in jerilderie has closed, so it needs removing
            there are other possible sites which normally have biodiesel which I know of, but supplies dried up at the end of Feb here and I'm not listing anyone who isn't currently selling biodiesel

Comment

Originally posted by drlizau View Post
              can some updating please be done on this map?

i've sent in co-ordinates for biodiesel sellers in December 06 and they haven't appeared on the map yet.

the independent fuel outlet in jerilderie has closed, so it needs removing
              there are other possible sites which normally have biodiesel which I know of, but supplies dried up at the end of Feb here and I'm not listing anyone who isn't currently selling biodiesel
              Sorry, that was me, I got a private message from you, but I deleted it before I had the chance to act on it as I get so many.

The map is in a bit of a need of an overhaul in the user-friendlyness department. That is to say that although it is quite possible for any registered member to add locations themselves, not many people actually can work it out.

I've smattered some instructions around in threads in here, but I'd like to have instructions available on the map itself.

In the mean time, this should get you going:

To start with, go to the map and say "add elements". Drag the map around so that the bit you want to mark is in the centre and then zoom in until you find it. Double clicking will add a red marker and the coordinates of that marker will show under the map in the text boxes for you. A single click will then re-position the marker if you want to fine tune it (just make sure you are on maximum zoom when you do to get it as accurate as possible). Fill in the appropriate fields with the rest of the information you want to put on the marker and then click the button at the bottom to commit it.

Easy eh?

Alternatively, you can also use this site to do reverse geocoding, which will allow you to type in a street address and it will return you the lat/long coordinates for you to paste manually into the fields in the "add elements" form.

I hope that helps.

I have removed the Jerilderie marker as well. Let me know if you need any help with it.

Cheers
              Robert.
              Site Admin.

Comment

Just one question. Is there any way to edit the info after it is added? Just in case something is entered incorrectly, or more information needs to be added to a place marker.

Comment

Editing can be done, but I have restricted this from being done by people who are not moderators. The user permissions system on the map are a little bit limited and would allow users to edit other people's markers, which is not ideal. As such, only moderators are allowed to edit or delete markers, but normal registered users can add them.
                  If you make a mistake, or want to change something, just contact me, or another moderator and we will help you.
                  Robert.
                  Site Admin.

Comment

Working...
                  X