Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best car to get for someone who knows nothing about cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best car to get for someone who knows nothing about cars?

I'm looking to spend about 10 grand on a diesel car so that I can get on the Biodiesel train. So far I have only found 4 wheel drives which are a little intimidating as I know nothing about cars and how to tinker with them. Does anyone have any recommendations for us auto-challenged eco-warriors?

Re: What is the best car to get for someone who knows nothing about cars?

I've just been in the same position as you, and I ended up getting a 4WD for around that price, but I wanted one anyway. Trying to get a cheap diesel sedan/wagon in Australia is very difficult, as it's only in the last couple of years manufacturers have started offering diesel variants of smaller cars in any quantity (such as the new Astra).

You could get an old Merc in good condition for around that price, such as an early 80s 300D, which are supposed to be one of the most bomb proof cars around. Although at that age you couldn't expect even a Merc to run perfectly without some TLC being spent on it. There are a few WVO users here have them, so they may be able to help.

Also there are some older diesel Peugots, but again I wouldn't want to buy a cheaper one without knowing it's been well looked after, and being able to do some maintenance myself.
    Sean

Comment

you could go an get just about any older toyota dual cab ute, or nissan for that money second hand.

Nice agricultural engines in em no fancy dancy eletronic crud to have havoc played with it and if you can find a friendly mechanic to do the work on it he might even show you how to go through the routine works of it.

As a bonus parts are relatively cheap.

Dave

"In a Landrover the other car is your crumple zone."

Comment

A Malvern Star with a Shimamo internal hub transmition. ??
        (only joking) Just because its a Diesel doesn't mean it has to be a big chunky 4WD. Even GMH is bringling out their Holden Astra in a Diesel these days. I have a 1980 Mercedes Benz 300TD which i am very happy with, and have not had any drama with the fuel change , considering its 20 years old and been running on fossil all that time.
        I paid $9000.00 for it , but its in really good nick. I sometimes feel i may have been ripped off, when i see online in the trading post the same car (no photo) for $4000.00
        If you've got ten grand to spend, why not get finance for the other $13,000 and get a brand new Holden astra or any of the European HDI cars.
        If your worried about getting good Biodiesel up to spec. Then Just get any old donk. The classic five cylinder series of diesels in Merc.s and Toyota 's and Landrovers is a reliable donk.
        Good luck.
        darren leonadas
        Last edited by darren leonadas; 13 August 2006, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Tata Motors has a model called Indica.It's doing very well in India.The car was designed for Indian Roads.A lot of people are swearing by it.Yes it runs on BD ...no worries.
          It is priced very well to.They have a office in Brisbane.Worth investigating.As you could get a new car.Spare parts are cheap to.
          Give them a go.

Cheers
          Sauman

Comment

SCOTT,, If i had my ten grand over again, (thats what my budget was too) I wouldn't bork at this one, Merc. benz for $10,000.!
            Its in Victoria, but i'm sure you could find something similar in Sydney,
            Cheers Darren.

Comment

That is an interesting question but so hard to answer.

First thing that comes to mind is that if you know nothing about cars before you buy one, you will still know nothing after you buy, so whatever you buy will make no difference .

Ok ok, the second thing that comes to mind is:
              If you know nothing about cars, why would you buy one in the first place ... (?) no sorry forget it.
              If you know nothing about cars, buy a new one, for the next two years the dealer will make you feel right at home (meaning he will make sure you feel like you know nothing at all) and charge you accordingly until the warranty runs out and you run out of the dealership wondering where did those $2000 for the last service go.

Third...If you know nothing about cars, why buy diesel? Diesel engines are notoriously specialized and require special knowledge, special tools, fastidious cleanliness, and other attributes usually not found among professional mechanics particularly between the ears.

Forth....I know I know you want a diesel engine to play with Biodiesel. Uff oooright ...so here we go:
              Buy a naturally aspirated engine not a turbo. Buy a run of the mill brand like Toyota or Nissan not some fancy new European car who's instruction manual includes 5 classes of yoga to change the glowplugs.
              Buy an older model without electronics, you will be able to do something like changing the air filter and if you are adventurous, prime the pump when you run out of Biodiesel.
              An older 4 cylinder Toyota Hilux or a Nissan King cab or even a Patrol with some room to stick your head in and look around may be just the ticket. Of course I would prefer a Mercedes 170D to tinker with but that is just me http://www.practicalclassics.co.uk/p...;p=-1630656632
              4WD are good cars, I own one, they do cost more to keep on the road but they are also more fun.

</IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG>

Comment

After reading the posts, I think this perhaps is not a possible question to answer, as we all have different oppinions as what is "not knowing much about cars" and what we need a car for, as we are all different.

By some definitions, there is talk of rebuilding engines, and I consider myself knowledgeable, but would not consider doing a rebuild. (perhaps I am getting old, or the more I learn the more I realise I dont know)

My thoughts on the merc in the trading post (a w124 model, 5 cylinder diesel, 420,000K's) is it has too many miles, but my use is often "critical" (no phone service, often on a 400k trip, school the next morning as a teacher, which means you cant call in sick without preparing for the relief techer)

Someone says 4wd are fun. I am sure they are, (I they allow people to get stuck in more remote areas) But apart from getting a boat stuck on a ramp, I have never needed one.

What I consider to be the best diesel I dont own, and actually sold one knowing it, because it did not suit my needs. I guess it is what are your needs? Do you have a family? Will things falling off it annoy you? What are your mechanical abilities?

Here are some diesel picks, in non 4wd. The only two I have owned, so will not comment on others.

The merc (own a 5 cylinder one, drove a 6, not much different)- Dont plan on good pickup. OK for room, and travels at speed limit well after a delay. Robust engine.

Gemini- getting old, but great cars. Ok in traffic, can swap drivetrain into a petrol body, fast. (I did get booked for 117!) Not much room though.
                cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

I have a 2 wheel drive twin cab 1994 hilux diesel. It is simple, very reliable, cheap for spares, plenty of go once its wound up (will go 130), and economical (8L/100km). Will run well on bio. I would go a toyota much more than a nissan. 3 weaknesses, rubber timing belt, aircleaners, and need to change oil at 5000km (they go bang around 8-9000km)

Comment

Yes go the Toyo... I agree.
                    What is that going "bang" at 9000km?
                    As for changing oil, any diesel of any make should change oil at 5000K as clockwork if you want your engine and turbo to last.

Comment

Hi Scott,

I have just recently been in your situation. I wanted a family can that my wife could drive and would be reliable and economical.

I purchased a 1896 W124 300D, exactly the similar as the one in the Trading Post for $8500, but it only has 290,000kms on it. The w124 is actually a 6cyl engine. It has been reliable since I have owned it. I have serviced it once with no problems. I have had a few minor probs with door catches stuffing up, but they can be replaced. Also I am having probs with a couple of relays that control the wipers, cruise control and also the trailer lights. These problems are symptomatic of an older car, but are not insurmountable. I suggest finding a good local mechanic of the vehicle you choose and trying to get their help. I have also installed a new MP3 player as the old tape player was stuffed.

I am getting about 8ltr/100km in town and hilly country driving and am very happy with the car over all. I have not yet started making biodiesel yet, but am getting closer, so I can't wait to see how see goes on B100. The only draw back is the lack of power in acceleration, (we've dubbed her Queen Mary!). I am used to turbo diesel work utes which go like racing cars. Actually now that I'm used to the Merc, I find them too toey. Make sure you test drive some cars and do a lot of internet research.

Good luck,

GM
                      Change the world, one diesel engine at a time...:D

Comment

I have run my 95 hilux 2WD dual cab on BD for around 3 years. It seems to have a bit less range than on petro-diesel. I always get someone else to service it because diesels are a bit of a mystery to me. However, as someone else wrote, these cars are very simple and reliable. The mechanic loves it! Get someone to check the glow plugs as soon as you buy it. They are cheap to change, and diesels don't start too well in winter if they are dead.

Comment

For $10,000 you could buy a late model low km Ssangyong Musso.
                          They are a Korean manufactured 4WD SUV with the Old Technology Mercedes 5 cylinder diesel with the legendary Bosch inline injection pump.

The ones made in 96- 97 and sold by Mercedes did not have a turbo and liesurly driving was the order of the day.
                          In 98 Daewoo took over and and put a turbo on the engine which was a big improvement.
                          They are Now back on the market as a dual cab, with the same engine and mechanicals.
                          Definatly ride like a car and NOT like a truck. NO computers, just brand new Old Mercedes Diesel Technology that was the gold standard for indirect injection diesels.

Make sure there are NO leaks anywhere from the engine and transmission.

Tilly

Comment

And change the oil in the diffs, so that you don't have a problem like Tilly did while travelling to WA.

Water enters the diff breathers if the diffs arer warm and a creek crossing is done. The water affects the oil and somewhere down the track, the diffs give up the ghost.
                            Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                            '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                            '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                            '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                            '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                            '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                            '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                            '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                            '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                            '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                            '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                            '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                            '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                            Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Working...
                            X