No announcement yet.

Shock - horror - Bunnings bag failure.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock - horror - Bunnings bag failure.

I have only used a Bunnings shopping bag to filter about 3,000 litres of WVO and today - catastrophic failure It cost me nearly $1 I wonder if I can take it back and get it replaced on warranty.
    The worst thing is that I don't have another Bunnings bag in stock and will have to go back to a Coles one till I next get to Bunnings (I was there only yesterday - if only I had known). I believe (subjective) that the Bunnings bags filter better than the Coles, as well as having a greater volume capacity.

Re: Shock - horror - Bunnings bag failure.

well written dave i to am sorry for his loss
    regards coy.

Comment

Oh dear, I feel for you.

Dave says it all much better than I could have, especially as I'm just a bit choked up at the moment.

Tim - who runs two Bunnings bags alongside each other, extremist that he is
      Toyota Landcruiser 1988 HJ61 Manual Wagon
      12H-T turbo Direct Injection.
      Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80°C output, 12mm fuel lines
      Start up and shut down electric fuel pump feeds IP direct.
      Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.

Comment

ROFL. tooooomuch Dave! . That was gold.
        Johnnojack
        4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
        Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

The best thread on the site..

Maybe the admin could consider making this one a sticky, so new WVO users can prepare themselves for the darker days of filtering..
          TroopyHZJ75

225,000km on WVO and counting
          1991 HZJ75 Landcruiser Troopy
          Two Tank System- 90ltr Dino / 140ltr WVO
          30 plate HE
          CAV filter
          20 plate HE
          2 x 6 way pollack valves (one for delayed purge changeover)

Comment

Originally posted by Nuddy View Post
            I have only used a Bunnings shopping bag to filter about 3,000 litres of WVO and today - catastrophic failure It cost me nearly $1 I wonder if I can take it back and get it replaced on warranty.
            The worst thing is that I don't have another Bunnings bag in stock and will have to go back to a Coles one till I next get to Bunnings (I was there only yesterday - if only I had known). I believe (subjective) that the Bunnings bags filter better than the Coles, as well as having a greater volume capacity.
            Commiserations Nuddy!!

I too had a Bunnings failure today that was nearly a disaster.

I currently have a 200L drum sitting on a Bunnings basket that I "borrowed." Today the basket collapsed at the back!!

Fortunately the drum which is over half full (and obviously too heavy for the borrowed Bunnings base) tipped back against the shed wall which propped it up.

SAVED!!

Time to get that new shed and filtering setup!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Jones View Post
              Your not a real SVO'er till you have had a spill of at LEAST 200L!

Once you have passed that right of initiation, You revise your entire setup and take steps to make sure you never have a spill anything like that ever again!
              I dunno! This came close:

http://www.biofuelsforum.com/svo_use...mendation.html

Also, I'm taking the easy way out by learning from the mistakes of all you SVOers!!

Comment

Oh David, David, David,
                You are obviously a man with too much time on his hands. This is the downside of the level of automation that you have now achieved in your oil processing.

I too suffered at the failure of a Bunnings Bag or two. Mind you the earlier ones were very poor quality and Bunnings improved matters although they had the hide to put their price up from something like 69c to what I think is $1 now!

Since then I always place one bag inside another and have them both suspended over my course filtering drum. I'm amazed at how much wvo can be poured in at one time (60-70lt) and that they can take the weight with no problem whatsoever.

Pretty sad that we have to whinge over $1 bags really but better than whinging over the price of commercial fuels!
                Laurie
                PS Dave, my source of avtur dried up. Bummer.

Comment

Went to Bunnings yesterday and found that they have 2 types of bag. The more expensive one ($1 vs $0.79) is much tougher looking but does appear to have a coarser weave so may not filter as effectively. Still I paid the extra and have it working now.
                  The interim coles bag was very slow to filter and has a small capacity, 15 litres?
                  The new bunnings holds about 40 litres and so far is filtering faster than the coles but not as fast as the old, sadly departed, light duty bunnings.

Comment

Dave if you keep up with this quality of post I will need to find a waterproof keyboard/ computer. I have already stopped drinking while looking at your posts, however spittle is likely to cause early corrosion I suspect.
                    Keep it up.
                    Chris
                    cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

hey dave you are so brilliant, you have made my day once again.

Comment

Chris,
                        While David's posts have stopped you drinking, they have turned a non-drinker (me) to drinking!
                        Laurie

Comment

Oh No! My new bunnings bag has failed after only 100 litres.
                          Lucky I took Daves advice and bought 2. Unlucky I bought the more expensive ($1 vs $0.79) ones that I thought looked stronger.
                          I am now on my second $1 bunnings bag and will drop in at bunnings again tomorrow and get 2 x $0.79 weak looking but actually stronger bags.

Comment

Oh no Paul at this rate of spending at Bunnings you'll soon be doing the sums on using dino diesel instead. Westfarmers shares however will be reversing the commodities crash.You may even be down to just the shirt on your back! Then you could use your shirt to do the filtering. I find XXOS Tee shirts are great, they last months and if you could be bothered you can even wash them in a bit of hot water and glycerine. At the Op shop they are the same price as Bunnings bags.
                            Johnnojack
                            4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
                            Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

About 40 litres into bunnings bag #3 and another failure - perhaps they hold too much oil?
                              Bunnings Thornleigh only had the new (weaker) type bags today. Will try another store tomorrow. Meanwhile in Coles I found a jute bag ($2.99) and bought it. Looking a coarser weave I thought this might make a better 1st stage filter. When fitting it up tonight I noticed it has a polyethylene coating on the inside so maybe it is oil-proof. Will find out in the morning.
                              Maybe I'll just go back to the coles bags if I can't find the old style bunnings.

Comment

Working...
                              X