• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vow2, inline glow plug fuel heater

Anyone know anything about these?
    Vow 2
    http://www.vow2.co.uk/vow2.htm

I'm currently running 100% WVO in my 2.8l Hilux with a heater (from radiator) just before the filter, cold starts are a slight problem so am thinking about the Vow 2 unit after the filter but before the pump

ANY THOUGHTS!

Glenn

Re: Vow2, inline glow plug fuel heater

It looks very interesting, though for a 2.8L you would need the VOW2B, which draws 26A, seems like quite an additional load on the poor battery and alternator (not that I know much about auto electrics). And you would still have your injector pump full of cold oil on starting. Also most people recommend having some sort of filter as the last thing before the IP, even if it is a little in-line one.
    I'm interested on your Hilux setup, are you using the stock diesel tank for SVO?
    1990 LN106 Hilux - Currently planning 2-tank system

Comment

check out the Vegtherm, it's stocked in Australia.

Comment

Hi Sputnick,

If you are using a coolant heat exchanger before the filter, a single glow plug heater just before the IP is all you'll need. It just so happens that I have an unused VOW 2A in line heater that is for sale if you want It was for a 300D Benz set-up but now I blend
        Price? What ever is on the site (30 Pounds?) at the current exchange rate plus Oz postage.

cheers, Michael

Comment

Which part of the radiator are you tapping into? The in cabin heater part heats up a lot quicker than radiator hoses. On my toyota the fuel into the engine is up to 50 before the temp guage on the car is up to 1/4.
          cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Just a word of caution

Inline glowplug Heaters should go before the filter. If you put it after the filter and a bit of biodiesel carbonises onto the glowplug and breaks off it will go straight to the IP and could cause problems

Comment

Hello
              I have a glow plug heater that I made my self.Takes two glow plugs,to thermatic switches and a temp sender.Works a treat.I set one temp switch for the low temp to turn of the system if the oil gets below 50 degrees.the other temp switch controls the glow pugs and is set to turn of the plugs at 100 degrees.The temps gauge is there to make sure is all well.Under the oil gallery is a water gallery.When the water heats up enough the glow plugs don`t come on.
              Cheers

Comment

Hi Folks, I've been very busy taking Vegiecars to festivals and talks TV and magazines for the last while, so haven't had time to be involved in the forum - but hopefully I'll have some more time now that the pressure is off.

I produce a glow plug heater here in Australia. It is based on a glow plug from a landcruiser, is thermostatically controlled to turn off at 90 and back on at 75, and is supplied complete with wiring looms, relay and switch all prewired for convenience.

The unit has been designed to be fully serviceable with parts easily replaced from a local auto supplier if necessary. The unit includes a high temperature fire retardant thermal insulation to increase the efficiency of the design. We sell these for $220 plus postage.

This unit is great for boosting the heat prior to an injection pump, but some customers have reported heat loss after the injector pump before the injectors. For this I have developed a set of flexible line heaters that are wound around the injector lines just before the injectors, helping to raise the temperature levels back up into the desired 70 to 90 deg zone, to ensure the fuel is atomised properly offering a clean burn.This is also supplied as a kit complete with wiring looms, relay and switch. We sell these from $250.

I originally designed the injector line heaters to assist with cold starting when we had forgotten to purge the vegetable oil from the fuel lines, and have found it highly effective as an "insurance policy". Some customers are using it for repetitive cold starts as a single tank system but a two tank system is still recommended as there are a host of issues that are related to cold starting on WVO.

I hope to have time to build more content into the Vegiecars web site in the next couple of weeks which will address some of these issues.

Regards
                Marcus

Multifuel Diesel Vehicle Conversions