Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• solid WVO

Hi All,

I've been doing a bit of calling around and I landed about 50 litres a week of solid WVO. The lady says its solid at room temperature 20-25, but quickly melt when the heaters are turned on.

I guess I won't know until titration what the quality is like but can anyone say from experience what solid WVO is like. Will the BD have a high gel point/crystal poiint?

Cheers
    Joe
    Joe Morgan
    Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
    http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
    SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Re: solid WVO

Joe, generally if the feedstock is solid at room temperature, then yes the biodiesel will have a high gel point. Coconut oil is an exception to this rule, it is hard at room temperature (even around 25C), however it makes great biodiesel which can get down to -9C. I expect that the biodiesel you could make from your new source might have something like a gel point of 15C, which this time of year is no problem at all.

Even in the winter you could blend it with dino diesel to reduce the gel point.

The easiest way to find out what the gel point is, is to make some and then put it in the fridge. Put a themometer in the biodiesel and watch for it to start gelling, then check the temp.

Many people like the tallow based biodiesels at this time of year because they have a tad bit more btu content than the vegetable oils.

Comment

Nice tip. Great idea.

Cheers
      Joe
      Joe Morgan

Comment

Joe, I think I may have posted this concept before on this forum, but in case I haven't here it is.

Take a series of jars with lids and put various blends of your biodiesel in them. Start with a B100, then B90, B80, B70, etc. You are blending your biodiesel with petrol diesel.

Leave the jars outside, perhaps near a window so you can view them easily. As the seasons change you can view the change in the blends. If B100 starts to gel up, then use B80 in your vehicle.

Usually, if you keep your vehicle in a garage at night, then there is far less cooling of the fuel in your system. Further, the fuel return line from the injector to the fuel tank tends to keep the fuel in the tank warmer.

Some people in colder climates will take other precautions, such as putting heating tape on their tanks, fuel lines and fuel filters. I have even heard of people putting a glow plug in their fuel filter! I suppose if you want to run B100 all year round and you live in Canada, then these things may be necessary.

I couldn't be bothered with all the extra hardware, I would just add a bit of dino diesel.

Comment

I live in the hinterland of sunny sunshine coast, although its been a bit stormy the last few weeks. This winter was very mild however they generally do get frosts through june - august. That might be a good time to find summer and winter blend BD. What ever doesn't gel I can whack into my tank, what does I can store for summer. Hmmm thats not a bad idea.
          Joe Morgan

Comment

That's what my brother does in Washington State in the U.S. He syphons off the clear vegetable biodiesel off the top and then pours the white crystaline mix in the bottom into another drum for the summer.

He gets very good soy bean oil that has had all sorts of meats (chicken, pork, beef) cooked in it. The soybean biodiesel component stays liquid to low temperatures, but the animal fat component left from cooking the meats starts crystalising at relatively higher temperatures.

Another thing you have to watch in the winter is the conversion rate. If you are making biodiesel from animal fats, a low conversion rate will leave substantial unprocessed animal fat in solution. When the temperature drops, the stuff starts clouding up and precipitating out. Generally, if you are making biodiesel out of animal fats (or with WVO with lots of the fats in it), then you should aim for a higher rate of conversion to prevent problems during cold weather.

During warm/hot days you can get away with all sorts of experiments.

Comment

Working...
            X