Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is best for heating the oil for my veg oil conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is best for heating the oil for my veg oil conversion?

Hi All,
    First time post so hope I get it right. I have been trying to convert a Merc 300D for a while now, but am stuck on how to heat the oil easily and cheaply.

I tried heating it off the exhaust pipe via a 10 mm copper pipe, but the pipe doesn't get anywhere near hot enough. Do I buy a heat exchanger and of what sort and where from?

Do I make one by running 13 mm copper pipe through the middle of some heater hose? What length do I need to get it hot?

Thanks for any help. Good to see the forum happening in Australia. It wasn't there when I first looked.

Erik

Re: What is best for heating the oil for my veg oil conversion?

I think you need a heat exchanger from the radiator fluid. A few other people here have done it (not me though, I just saw the threads).

Take a look at this one here, which links to his website with detailed plans and photos.

I think Tony from West Oz (another forum user) does this too and he is selling the heat exchanger on Ebay.
    Sean

Comment

I have used about 1 meter of 8mm copper pipe coiled in a 2" copper pipe, with coolant in the 2", fuel (either diesel or veg) in the 8mm. It really needs more length to heat the oil properly. It varies between 40-55 degrees C.

Probably more heating before the heater would be a good idea (hose on hose or similar, and a heated tank.
      cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

I have done testing on a 10 plate FPHE in my '79 300D. In 23 minutes of driving, I have switched to veggie oil as soon as the fuel temperature has reached 60°C (around 8 minutes after starting). The oil temperature continued to rise due to HOH and engine heat at the fuel pump. After about 12-13 minutes, the temperature of the oil entering the IP rises again due to the fuel filter temperature rising (warmer oil entering the filter).
        Tony From West Oz
        Vice Chairperson of WARFA
        Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 16 August 2006, 01:44 AM.
        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
        '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
        '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
        '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
        '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
        '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
        '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
        '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
        '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
        '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
        '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
        Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Working...
        X