PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Mangna AWD 100% Ethanol

Scanlan
22nd February 2009, 01:58 PM
Hi there I have reached 100% Ethanol for a couple of weeks now with no problems, however when cold will take a couple of minutes to warm up.

Almost out of ethanol now only 300 liters left, don't won't to go back to petrol.

Regards,

Chris Scanlan.

Captain Echidna
22nd February 2009, 04:27 PM
how have you been getting ethanol? I am toying with the idea of a magna and ethanol.

Scanlan
23rd February 2009, 08:08 AM
I got the Ethanol from CSR Sugar, they have a range of denatured ethanol, The agent in Tasmania was Motor Sports. You can get ethanol with 2% petrol or 5% methanol which is what i have been using. Just ring CSR and ask them how you can buy it from them you will have a list of names to compare prices.

Next time i will get the 2% Petrol and 98% Ethanol, It cost about the same as petrol so no savings and I bought 1,000 litres. I am plain on getting a license to make it legal and use wood gas to distill and produce biochar to make my soil more fertile so that i can grow more sugar beet.

Also replacing my lpg gas use with methane made from potatoes and manure, working with a water tank maker to help me build a anerobic digester and storage unit. Once I have enougth biochar will use methane instead of wood Gas to distill.

Hopefuly by the end of next year will be energy free with no cabon foot print, And if I only use biofuels produce by my property it will put to rest the net engery agrument of ethanol to rest.

Regards,

Chris Scanlan.

ps I have notice once you have run a engine for a long time on ethanol it dosnt like going back to 100% petrol.

Typhoon
22nd July 2011, 03:40 PM
I would personally stay well away from methanol as a mix in any fuel, it tends to be quite corrosive.
I'm quite interested in your Magna ethanol experiment, I have 2005 here I have been considering modifying for E85.
Have you had your car's ECU scanned for codes after running ethanol? I would be concerned about running out of injector capacity on 100% ethanol.
Unfortunately, your engine is designed to run on petrol and the poor cold running is a side effect of that. Short of blending some petrol, the only fixes are going to be vehicle modification, like fuel rail heating to help vaporisation when cold, larger injectors or a cold start injector etc.