Speed trials 300D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed trials 300D

I was recently approached with a challenge to my title as 'The fastest Merc in oz' I wrote that one night after a few sherberts and didn't think much of it until other merc owners commnted or recently challenged so me as always accepted the challenge for a laugh and to hopefully learn something.

The rules

Stopped, foot on brake at idle GO - 60kmh and same technique foot on brake at idle - 100kmh.

i want as many 300D's ( and others) to get in on this:

My Elsa 300D 83 model self built standard tuned by my ear and seat of pants NO Mods

0-60 7.15 sec
    0-100 17.97 sec

whats your average???
    Cheers Nick.
    Cheers
    Nick.
    Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW
    sigpic

Re: Speed trials 300D

Nick,

I can not understand how Elsa gets those times.

As per our PMs, the figures for the TurboFatmobile are:
    0-60 10.5sec
    0-100 25 sec
    This is much faster than any other of our 300Ds, including the W123 6 cylinder 300D.
    Boost 0.5Bar, fuel pressure 10psi @ IP inlet. Engine only has ~1000km following complete overhaul & is still very tight, so these times should improve with mileage.

My speedo reads high (72@60km/h, 115 @ 100km/h), verified by GPS. Times are to 72 and 115 indicated speeds.

Anyone care to contribute to the information here?
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Dave,
      Thanks for the feedback on yur times. You may also wish to GPS verify your speedo 60 and 100 km/h points as mine are out significantly. I believe it is the original speedo as it has the Cruise Control pickup on it.
      The Fatmobile is very slow from idle and this is where I feel that it will benefit most, especially in traffic.

I have been researching the internet to see what adjustments can be done to improve the no boost (ALDA) and full boost power (Max Fuelling adjustment)
      When I have worked it out, I will post it for all to see.
      This information may have linited application though as this IP is not fitted to MB imported cars, but may be similat to '77-'80 300Ds with the earlier IP.
      There is also some information on improving performance on the OM603 engine which may relate to the IP fitted to post '80 W123 300Ds as well as the W124 300Ds.

Regards,
      Tony
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

I am sure my first gear has a problem (the only other 300d I have driven was quicker off the mark) but last I checked 0-100 it was in the realm of 28 secconds.

I could see about fixing it, or just let the wife continue to drive it.....
        cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Nitro does not need to mix with the fuel, it goes in as a gas with any air you are using.

Regards,
          Tony

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Nitro does not need to mix with the fuel, it goes in as a gas with any air you are using.

Regards,
            Tony

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

I'd love to measure my times on both my cars and post them up here, but we're off to Alice on Thursday so don't have time before I go. Plus it's difficult to find a flat straight road around here, but I'll give it a go when I get back.

Have others used the speedo or GPS? I have checked mine and one reads pretty accurate and the other reads about 5-7km/h too fast.

If you use GPS you need to use one that updates rapidly or there could be a bit of a lag. Although with some of the times we've been posting here a 1 second error is a pretty small percentage!
              Sean

Comment

Tony i believe your mistaken in regard to nitro. Nitro is a liquid fuel used in R/C aeroplane engines in a blend with caster oil and some other nice stuff. its usually mixed between 1 and 15%.

I thing your confusing it with Nitrous oxide (NOS) a gas injected or fogged into an engine or its airstream for masive temperary HP gains.

I know what you mean pangit with reagrd to GPS being slow to update. Thats why i ran my times off the speedo then checked the speedo against the gps at constant speeds.

my speedo was within 1% error at 100km/h and thats the best my gippus will do.

Early mercs start in second gear ALWAYS unless placed in low gear. after 1980 they start in 1st.

does anyone know where the old guide for buying a w123 diesel has gone?? the link has dropped offline maybe some one has it on his harddrive???

ta Nick.
                Cheers
                Nick.
                Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW
                sigpic

Comment

Nick,
                  Thanks, I didn't realise that there were other forms of Nitro.

My apologies Dave.

Tony

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Nitro methane is a fuel and needs more oxygen to take advantage of it - used mostly in supercharged engines as the s/c helps add the extra oxygen.
                    Nitrous oxide (NOs) is used to add extra oxygen so you need to add extra fuel to take advantage of that - off topic I know but this is the off topic area.
                    Well done Nick for building the fastest diesel merc in Oz. It's amazing what care and attention to detail can achieve.

Comment

You guys are crazy>>>>>> i love it

Comment

Working...
                      X