Shelf Life of Methoxide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shelf Life of Methoxide?

Can anyone tell me if methoxide has a shelf life? It would be stored in an air tight container out of sunlight and in a reasonbly cool place. At this stage I will only be making small quantities of Biodiesel and I would prefer to make up a larger batch of methoxide and use it as required. Thanks.

Re: Shelf Life of Methoxide?

Both methanol and the NaOH or KOH are hydroscopic, which means then suck up the moisture big time if you give them a chance. However, if you keep the container closed from the atmosphere you prevent the moisture from getting to the methoxide.

In the early days, it was one of those urban myths that you had to 'fresh' methoxide for a batch.

I have used methoxide that has been stored for more than six months. It worked just fine.

Comment

In the past, I have proposed the use of a concentrate methanol / caustic solution which could be diluted to suit the titration of a particular batch of oil. This means that the concentrate could be made to a standard g/l ratio which is, for example, twice the concentration required by the worst oil you have access to (perhaps 100 g per litre of Methanol).
      I do not know if this concentration is possible, but this is an example only.

If you titrate an oil at 5 g/l. With a catalyst amount of 5g/l, you need 10 g/l NaOH (w/vol oil). If using a 20% v/v methanol, you would require to use 100ml of the concentrate (giving 100g NaOH) and 100ml of methanol per litre of the batch, (giving a total of 200 ml methanol.)

As liquid measures are simpler than weight measures for many home brewers, thie would be an easy process, to be done art leisure. Making up a concentrate based on the package size of the NaOH would eliminate the weighing process and provide a "bulk" amount of the concentrate, to be diluted depending on the titration and batch size.

Providing that the concentrate and methanol were kept in sealed containers and labelled accordingly, I see no additional hazards or issues for the user.

Your comments would be appreciated.
      Tony

ps. A question for the chemists amongst us: How much NaOH can dissolve in a litre of Methanol?
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Thanks Terry & Tony. I have access to a lab with three chemists, fume cupboard various scales and equipment so will make up batches there. I'll keep that in mind Tony regarding the concentrate as I may not have access to the lab etc for ever. I'll also keep watch for the replies from the chemists.

Comment

Working...
        X