Clear All

• black iron pipe fittings

I'm looking for 3\4 inch pipe fittings as used in the appleseed processor
    eg. crosses,threaded pipe, tees,ball valves as they dont react to bio
    im looking for someone in sydney that may stock them
    any help much appreciated
    sigpic

Re: black iron pipe fittings

you can always buy the galvanised fittings from bunnings and sit them in hydrochloric acid until they stop fizzing (5 min). HCl is at bunnings too.

Comment

Hi Captain Caveman,

Black Iron Pipe fittings are available (at least here in QLD) from 'Blackwoods'

Now I am not famillar with suburbs of Sydney or surrounding areas but the names on the back of the latest catalogue are, Alexandria, Brookvale, Penrith and Smithfield, also about 15 regional areas as well.

I used Gal fittings and did the same, just bathed them in Hydrochloric Acid from the pool shop. Painted them with paint after they had been wahsed and dried.

Regards John H

Comment

Thanks for the replies great idea thats what i'll be doing why didnt i think of that???
        sigpic

Comment

Hi All you fitting strippers
          Yes you can do that end you will get a good black fitting
          Keep in mind that Gal fittings are produced from Cast iron where black fittings are made out of steel
          Galvanised fittings even stripped are OK for screw in them together no problems but attempt to weld them and you have issues
          Nonetheless the resulting material after stripping them in acid makes excellent soldering fluid commonly known as "spirit of salts"
          It is sold at a pretty good price known as "Bakers Soldering Fluid" a common brand so don't tip it out keep it and use it for any soft solder jobs it is as good as the stuff you pay good money for
          Cheers
          Chris
          Cheers
          Chris
          Never give up :)

Comment

I have found stainless steel fittings to be cheaper than black iron. Strange as it sounds. I was flabbergasted at how expensive black iron fittings are. Stainless isnt cheap, but it doesnt rust and looks great. I get my stainless fittings from BOC mining supplies.

Comment

Hmmm, I stripped the galvanised fittings as per Chev's suggestion, and in less than 24 hours they were covered in rust! Now it won't be a problem to rub the rust off with wet & dry and paint them, but won't they rust on the threads or inside the pipes where I can't paint them?

And won't that make it impossible to take apart if the threads are rusted together? Or will the biodiesel keep the rust off?

On the other hand, what's wrong with leaving the galvanised coating on?
              Sean

Comment

How long did you strip them for? Just a couple of minutes until the fiz stopped?

If you leave the gal on then the zinc can react and contaminate your bd.

What I did was to rub warm veg oil over the fittings after they were stripped and then wipe them with a rag - no rust.

Comment

Working...
                X