View Full Version : newbie with oil press problems

19th August 2009, 08:51 AM

I'm writing from Argentina. We started extracting soybean oil a couple of months ago and things aren't going so well so far.

We're processing right now 35 tt/daily of soybean in our extrusion plant in Azul, Argentina.

Here comes my woes:

Firstly, my screw press is expelling quite a bit of expeller over the top of the press. Our technical advisor and plant developer says it's quite commonplace. I wonder how on earth this can happen with a brand new press.

Then we're also having a serious problem with the filter press. We're producing 150 l/hour of crude oil and the filter gets completely clogged in no more than 36 hours average.

A second technical opinion said we may be grinding the beans too much. They said soybean gets best ground in halves, 1/4's and 1/8's for best pressing. We are grinding a kind of coarse flour which, according to these second opinion leaves to much fine solid particles in the oil which goes unpressed and ends up clogging the filter.

As you can see, I need help so whoever is out there with some posible solutions for my plant, I'm all ears.

Tony From West Oz
19th August 2009, 10:38 PM
This forum is devoted to people making biodiesel and / or using Used Cooking Oil (Waste Vegetable Oil) as a fuel for our diesel engines.

I have moved this post to the OFF-TOPIC forum and allow it to stand in case any forum members are able to offer you advice on your problem.

Don't hold your breath on getting a useful reply as very few members are rural based and even fewer would have pressing experience.

20th August 2009, 06:28 AM
Txs Tony.

Great forum indeed. I'm planning to move to making biodiesel whithin the next year, so this forum will be of great use, I guess.

20th August 2009, 09:13 AM
Naval as Tony says this is a bit out of our depth, but I have mucked around with pressing oil from mustard seed in a home made press, but not a screw press. I found I had to settle my newly pressed oil and draw it from the top before filtering it as there is a lot of crud in the oil after pressing. Heating it got fast results and also cured the oil for my purposes ( fuel). I also found if we didn't let the seed dry for at least a week before pressing, they tended to block everything up, just like any green waste compared to dry waste.

Maybe you should settle your pressed oil for a few days or so, or centrifuge the crud out, to speed up your process.

Ole Guy
17th September 2009, 03:45 PM
Maybe you should settle your pressed oil for a few days or so, or centrifuge the crud out, to speed up your process.

Any suggestions on how (centrifugal) this can be done easily or with home made devises?

I saw one post where someones said they used and old washer,
but never responded when asked for pictures or details.