Dr Pepper query!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr Pepper query!

I tried my first test batch yesterday using the Dr Pepper method using new oil. The oil was available in 750 mls so adjusted methanol (188 mls) & caustic soda (3.75 gms) to suit. methoxide was made up successfully the day before. Heated oil slowly in a saucepan to 57c. Poured oil straight into a clean dry orange juice bottle (probably should have used a Dr Pepper bottle!) then poured the methoxide on top. I then capped the bottle and shook it briskly for around 30 - 40 seconds. When I set the bottle down and kept watch for around 10 minutes I noticed that I had a toffee coloured layer about 15mm thick on the top. I decided that I had not shaken the mix violently enough so shook it again. This appeared to do the trick. I gave it another couple of shakes over the next hour or so. When I checked it this morning some eighteen hours later it appears to be (from what I've seen and read) normal ie, small dark layer on the bottom and the cloudy BD on top, however there is a very thin toffee coloured layer (about 3mm thick) on the top. Could this thin layer be unreacted methoxide as I had at the start? If so can it be mixed in or removed somehow?

Re: Dr Pepper query!

Hello Aussie1, congratulations on yor success!

I will just make a note of that in my "Royalties" book.
    What looks like a thin layer on top is actually the meniscus of the biodiesel. It took me more than a few days to figure that out.
    We look forward to you continued success!

Tilly

Comment

Re: Dr Pepper query!

Tilly, thanks for the reply your cheques in the mail!
      I had to look up me-nis-cus;
      "The curved upper surface of a nonturbulent liquid in a container that is concave if the liquid wets the walls and convex if it does not."
      Makes sense to me. My next step will be to drain the glycerine etc and wash the BD. If that fails I'll be back.

Comment

Working...
      X