Diesel land speed record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel land speed record

I wonder whether Wing Commander Andy Green could be persuaded to do another run using biodiesel?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...5273540.stm?ls

http://www.jcbdieselmax.com/html/home.php
    geewizztoo
    Last edited by geewizztoo; 23 August 2006, 12:07 PM.

Re: Diesel land speed record

Now that would be a coup for the cause! No reason why he couldn't reach similar speeds with biodiesel.

Andy Green is of course the same guy who broke the sound barrier in ThrustSSC, as mentioned in the article. What it doesn't mention is the chief designer is also the same guy (Ron Ayers) who designed ThrustSSC. Also I believe Richard Noble (the main man behind SSC) was involved in its early stages.
    Sean

Comment

Yeah, great news !! But what about a biodiesel Bathurst winner ! I wonder if it would be possible given sufficient funding ?

Xavier

Comment

I really like the one about a Bathurst winner on Bio Diesel.
        I know some guys in the circuit.Maybe when I get back to oz...i really need to do some serious lobbying with these guys.
        We could actually do it.
        Show the world the Aussie spirit and faith on bio fuels.
        Man that is goer.
        Got me evil brain thinking.Good one Xavier.Will give it a shot.A damn good shot at it too.
        Will get David Miller the starter of the race a good nudge and get his veiws.
        Will keep the news coming.

Cheers
        Sauman

Comment

Wouldn't be possible in V8 Supercars as neither Holden or ford ( or anyone else in Australia) produce a V8 diesel sedan which would be a fundamental entry requirement.

As there are no shortage of V8's from GM , Ford and Dodge in the states, It may be possible to enter a vehicle in something like the sports sedan class where you are basically allowed to shoe horn any size engine in any size car.
          Being competitive may be another thing however as sports sedans lap most tracks faster than V8's.

Offshore power boat racing may be a better bet as I am fairly sure their is a diesel class in that Catergory.
          I believe the last attempts at the atlantic crossing record in a powerboat was done in a diesel engined craft so maybe someone could persuade Richard Branson to have another crack at it on Bio Fuel :0)

Comment

I Like the boat idea too.Around the world on bio diesel.
            Wander if anyone has done that yet???
            Why not someone from this forum.
            We could get heaps of advertisement mileage out of it.
            Coming to think of it it would be the best reality TV till date.Hmmmmm
            time to give Channel 9 a call????What do you reckon folks???
            We could get the whole thingy sponsered ......Food for thought.

Cheers
            Sauman

Comment

Yeah, the round-the-world power boat record attempt is scheduled to happen in Sept-Oct this year and on biodiesel too. But I'm not sure of the current status. Remember this post?

http://www.biofuelsforum.com/using_b...ght=power+boat

Comment

Working...
              X