Swapping tallow for cottonseed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapping tallow for cottonseed

I'm interested in making some biodiesel out of tallow or other similar harder fat, but I currently only have access to cottonseed oil. Is there anyone in the Melbourne area who would be happy to do some kind of swap, litre for litre?

Cheers, Steve.

Re: Swapping tallow for cottonseed

Hi Steve,
    Just wandering why you would want to use tallow when cottonseed makes good fuel?
    Cheers Maxwell

Comment

Sure, cottonseed makes good fuel!! I just wanted something a bit different to try as well and apparently it has a bit more 'go' in it. Perhaps someone could correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers, Steve.

Comment

Yeah, I reckon from experience animal fat makes biodiesel with more Umph. We once has a batch of chicken fat, which made great fuel, It definitely had more Umph, and had an amazing aroma from the exhaust, Much like KFC. These days Chicken abatoirs throw away most of the chicken skin which contains all the fat. Aparently it takes the skin of 22 chickens to make one litre of Biodiesel.
        Go here and read about how the Vietnamese are making BD from Fish fat. Apparently the Vietnamese make 30,000 tonnes per anum of tinned catfood from Mekong delta catfish farms for the US petfood market. But to make it consumable for Cats they have to cook out the Fat in the canning process. The Vietnamese have most of their power derived from diesel generators, and diesel pumps run the fish farm pumps.
        darren leonadas
        Last edited by darren leonadas; 24 August 2006, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Hi All,
          Thought it a bit rude to ask why, but glad I did!
          Never thought of chicken fat. Would any one know how much oil out of 1kg of fat,what sort of waste is there.
          I figure that the lighter oils are going to be harder to get as more people
          find out about biodiesel and won't want to have the hassle of tallow.

Cheers,
          Maxwell

Comment

That's cool Max. We all have to learn these things from somewhere. I only wish my boss were as understanding!! We can't be expected to automatically know everything!!

Comment

Tallow makes wonderful fuel too. Just do not expect touse it incold climates or cool ones for that matter. It has to be warm to use it.

Matt
              Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Its a fantasy of ours to dumpster dive a lyposuction clinic. Imagine telling people "my car runs on the arse of Fat people."

Comment

Lard ,tallow,animal fat makes excellent BD.However they have a high FFA .The industry practise is to either hydrogenate it or mix it with another oil that has a low FFA to arrive at a balance.
                  I don't see any reason why this principle of mixing cannot be used by us fringe dwellers.
                  Then we can be unbiased in saying
                  "Our car runs on fat from all kinda arses".

Cheers
                  Sauman

Comment

Dumpster diving a liposuction clinic - sounds a bit like Fight Club (for those who have seen it. For those who have not and make biodiesel, or soap, you must see it, you'll get the parallels)
                    The first rule of Biodiesel Club is "Do not talk about Biodiesel Club". The second rule of Biodiesel Club is "Do not talk about Biodiesel Club"...

Of course, you could always ask a liposuction clinic, they may just consent (with patient approval) and it could make some great publicity. This guy here in NZ has done just that for his round the world boat trip.
                    Robert
                    Administrator
                    Last edited by Robert; 25 August 2006, 12:02 AM.
                    Robert.
                    Site Admin.

Comment

Sauman, with the greatest respect I would like to point out that Tallow does not necessarily, or in my particular case, definately does NOT have a high FFA. In fact Tilly who frequents here has said the same on a few occaisions. (Please correct me if I am worng on that though Tilly, the FFA count, not where you frequent).

Anyway it has no more FFA when fresh than oil, I have made batches of pure tallow, 75%,50% etc etc and all titrated well below 5 in my case. All made fine bio. The higher the precentage of tallow the more the bio looked like Rose wine though.

Hydrogenation is for something else and may well make it have a high FFA but pure tallow (aka Frytol) is fine. Just gels a bit higher than the bio made form vegetable oils. I have no choice in my process of excluding it and have only ever had a hint of gelling (apart from one experiment at someplace at -6 Celsius).

Keep up your commentry, its great to see. My daughter was grossed out on the thought of liuposuction, although my bio partner is fascianted by the possibilities! Me I am kind of agnostic on my feedstock but have a very deep respect for the planet and all who occupy it.
                      Matt

Originally posted by Sauman
                      Lard ,tallow,animal fat makes excellent BD.However they have a high FFA .The industry practise is to either hydrogenate it or mix it with another oil that has a low FFA to arrive at a balance.

Cheers
                      Sauman
                      Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert
                        Dumpster diving a liposuction clinic - sounds a bit like Fight Club (for those who have seen it. For those who have not and make biodiesel, or soap, you must see it, you'll get the parallels)
                        The first rule of Biodiesel Club is "Do not talk about Biodiesel Club". The second rule of Biodiesel Club is "Do not talk about Biodiesel Club"...

Of course, you could always ask a liposuction clinic, they may just consent (with patient approval) and it could make some great publicity. This guy here in NZ has done just that for his round the world boat trip.
                        Robert, Your cybor nose never ceases to amaze me (earthrace) Thats another one i'll be appropriating for the MBDC site.
                        The caustic burns in "fight club" are a little over dramatised, Mine dont look nearly that bad, Bloody painful though. (the melbourne biodiesel club does not recomend failing to follow OH&S proceedure when working with KoH. Rule #3)
                        darren leonadas
                        Last edited by darren leonadas; 25 August 2006, 01:48 PM.

Comment

G Day Matt,
                          You are right that FFA of animal fat may not be much higher then WVO.
                          But all that depends on the source of fat and environment .As exposure to water ,moisture causes hydrolysis and ffa increases.
                          Same like the case with vegetable oil used for cooking when it comes in contact with steam during the cooking process.
                          If you are happy with ffa values about 5 that that is cool.I am sorry I had my Industrial or commercial cap on when I made that comment.For in the BD industry the ffa limit is 0.5 to ensure process dynamics and standardisation of process parameters.

That is why hydrogenation is done in the Industry to super saturate the animal fats and then mixed with other feed stock of low ffa to arrive at 0.5 ffa max.
                          With regarss to liposuction.Hmm.....thats definetly a place to shop around for fat.Would be interesting if someone from the forum rocked up to one of the clinic and asked for the fat.Wander wether there will be prize tag for it.For they charge I am told an arm and a leg for the liposuction process.

Cheers
                          Sauman

Comment

I wonder what the best feedstock for fattening humans is...

Comment

Originally posted by RASTEVE
                              I wonder what the best feedstock for fattening humans is...
                              Sending humans to the parliament house will definetly be a way to increase obesity.Like 50lbs each month.
                              Watch main stream media for 4 hours a day is another.20lbs each month
                              Sending some one to the US senate will put on 100LBS OF PURE FAT IN A WEEK.

Take your choice.Life is full of choices.
                              Cheers
                              Sauman

Comment

Working...
                              X