Is PH of 8.00 ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is PH of 8.00 ok?

My first Dr Pepper batch is cloudy and still drying. The SG is 0.88. The Ph using a calibrated electronic Ph meter is 8.00. Is this ok or does my mix need further washing? The last wash, #6 had very clear water under the BD. Thanks.

Re: Is PH of 8.00 ok?

Hello Aussie1, Congratulations on your first successful batch of biodiesel!

Unfortunatly, contrary to Popular misinformation on the internet, the SG and pH of your biodiesel is about as meaningful as it's voltage and air pressure.

pH is an index of the concentration of Hydrogen Ion (H +) in water. Since oil (Biodiesel) is not an ionizing solvent, it has no free hydrogen ions and therefore, it does not have a pH per se. If the oil contains materials which when mixed with water supply hydrogen ions to the water phase, then these will register when the pH of the water phase is measured

Tilly

Comment

What testing can be done to ensure that the BD is suitable for your vehicle before you put it into the fuel tank? If you follow all the "instructions" including washing and drying the BD is that it?

Comment

There is a government laboratory that will test if your fuels meets Australian and International standards. It will cost you a pretty penny and you will need to give them a few litres.
        Joe Morgan
        Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
        http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
        SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Comment

Hello Aussie1

For quick Pass/Fail back yard testing there are two tests I am aware of:
          Jan Warnqvist's Conversion Test
          and
          World Famous Dr Pepper ASTM Reprocess Technique (Pat Pend)

Tilly

Comment

Thanks Joe, Thanks Tilly. I'll try out the back yard testing. My BD was cloudy (being fresh) so I heated it to around 105c and it looked fantastic. As it cooled it became cloudy again although not nearly as bad. Why is it so? Aussie1.

Comment

Hello Ausie1

Because there is still water in your biodiesel.

Tilly

Comment

As I suspected, thanks Tilly. Aussie1.

Comment

heating your fuel helped some of the water drop out, When it cooled cloudy again there was some left. You could 'polish' the fuel by filtering it with a filter that removes trace water and unwanted solids.

Comment

Hello Mike

Water filters tend to not work very well.
                    It is best to get the biodiesel crystal clear at room temperature before running it through a filter.
                    In Aussie1's situation putting the biodiesel into another pan, leaving the little puddles of water behind and re-heating should get rid of the excess water.
                    Once the biodiesel is crystal clear at room temperature the remaining water in solution will do no harm and will not be removed by a filter.

Tilly

Comment

Gents, After leaving my BD in the jar on the window sill overnight, it had cleared up very nicely by the following morning. Looks good enough to drink! It was only slightly cloudy once it had cooled down from heating, so hence it did not take long to clear. I'm going to use the "Jan Warnqvist's Conversion Test" on it tomorrow. Aussie1.

Comment

Working...
                      X