What happens if you drink the stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens if you drink the stuff?

I sat down to dinner tonight and noticed how the sample jar of BD I had just made looked a lot like the apple juice I was having. This made me wonder - what happens if we drink the stuff? Is BD poisonous?

Re: What happens if you drink the stuff?

Standards grade BD(washed and clear passing the soap test's etc) will give you a good case of the runs for a while and if you drink to much will possibly make you throw up basicly cause the body can't handle large quantities of Veggie Oil as it stands. It would basicly be like drinking Canola Oil or Olive Oil out of the bottle straight.

Not fully converted or washed BD well that is a slightly differnt matter and others round here will likely have the best answer to this one but there would likly be traces of methanol which is really uncool to ingest. I will leave this one to those in the medical know on this area.
    Dave

Comment

aH gAWD,
      You will have only 30 to 45 mins before the whole world caves in,You will feel woobly almost straight way,intense vointing followed by loss of sight in the first 10 mins,massive convulsions,choking of arteries and ....yes you have had it.
      Be close to a phone when you do that.Dial 000,they hopefully will airlift you and you will wake up in an ICU with needles and gadgets allround you.
      Friends and family too ,wandering why did you have to do it this way .Bio fuelers will be mad .

Relax mate you probably will have a crook gut.And if you were ever in Delhi or bali you know what that means.There was a add showing one of the Omph belles drinking the stuff.To prove it is non toxic.

Cheers
      Sauman
      Bali belly+Delhi Belly=Bio dIESEL BELLY

Keep out of reach of children and curious humans.

Comment

Originally posted by Chev28
        I sat down to dinner tonight and noticed how the sample jar of BD I had just made looked a lot like the apple juice I was having. This made me wonder - what happens if we drink the stuff? Is BD poisonous?
        What is wrong with just put it into the fuel tank of the car?
        That is the whole idea
        Must be wrong again, Never mind
        Cheers
        Chris
        Cheers
        Chris
        Never give up :)

Comment

Although I do highly reccomend running cars on biodiesel, I guess a hypothetical question could be- "I found my 2 year old and a half full softdrink bottle of the stuff now what"

From a seminar I went to, to be 50/50 wether you live or die you would need to drink about 17.5 grammes per kg of bodyweight, or the example used if you weigh 75kg, about 1.5 liters it would be even money either way, which is about as toxic as the oil its made from.

Seriously I think storing chemicals in soft drink bottles is illegal because of kids, so keep them locked up. (chemicals locked up is preferable, but either way it will have the same effect)
          Captain Echidna
          Last edited by Captain Echidna; 27 August 2006, 01:57 PM.
          cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

It just looks so good sitting there in the jar. Surely it tastes like apple juice?

Comment

Reading the latest health and nutritional alerts, "Trans Fats" are the latest poisons around. (Do a Google search for Trans Fats.) As your Doctor has probably been telling you for years, Cholesterol and Triglyceride levels in your blood should be a lot lower than they are because of your bad eating habits. These are the same Triglycerides in Veg Oil that we convert to make BD. "Trans Fats" are now popping up in various fried foods, biscuits and chips (crisps). "Trans Fats" are, you guessed it, Transesterified Triglycerides, or BD! High blood levels of Trans Fats will lead to a MUCH higher of heart disease. Wether the trans fats are the CAUSE of the heart disease, or their presence in the blood is a byproduct of a lifestyle that brings on these troubles, I dunno. Having ingested a very small quantity of BD (less than 5ml) when siphoning from from a drum, and getting the runs for 3 days afterwards, I am firmly committed to keeping it away from my innards if at all possible.

I see a grand opportunity for genetic scientists for mutating human DNA in the future so that we process blood triglycerides, in combination with alcohol and KOH/NaOH at body temperatures, to urinate Biodiesel.
              Mazda's Secret Service motto: "Tell 'em nothing, charge 'em double".

Comment

Fats and Trans Fats Explained

FAT A fat is a particular type of chemical compound. Its molecules are shaped like a short flagpole with three long, starched streamers or pennants flying from it. The shapes of fat molecules -- and hence their properties -- differ from one another because the streamers themselves are different shapes. The flagpoles don't count.
                What we popularly refer to as "a fat" in our diets, such as butter or vegetable oil, is actually a mixture of many kinds of fats.
                FATTY ACID Those three streamers flying from the flagpole are fatty acids (FAs): long chains of carbon atoms with a couple of oxygen atoms at one end, tying them to the pole. Our bodies' metabolism breaks off the FA streamers, which are absorbed. Their exact shapes are what determine their healthfulness.
                Common FAs include oleic acid, the primary FA in olive oil, and stearic acid, found in animal fats.
                SATURATED FATTY ACID A saturated FA is one whose molecules are relatively straight. Saturated FAs are unhealthful because they raise the amounts of LDL ("bad") cholesterol in our bloodstreams. They are found mostly in animal fats.
                Butyric acid is a saturated FA found in milk fat (butter).
                UNSATURATED FATTY ACID An unsaturated FA is one whose molecules contain one or more sharp bends or kinks. If an unsaturated FA contains only one kink, it is said to be monounsaturated; if more than one, polyunsaturated. Unsaturated FAs are found mostly in vegetable oils. They do not raise cholesterol levels. Monounsaturated FAs are even considered healthful.
                Olive oil's oleic acid is a monounsaturated FA.
                OMEGA-3 and OMEGA-6 FATTY ACIDS These are polyunsaturated FAs that have kinks in their chains at either the third or the sixth carbon atom from the end. Examples are alpha-linolenic acid, an omega-3 FA and linoleic acid, an omega-6 FA.
                Omega-3 and omega-6 FAs are "essential" FAs because our bodies can't produce them. We have to get them from our foods, such as fish oils, walnut oil, flaxseed oil and canola oil. Omega-3 FAs actually reduce our risk of coronary disease.
                HYDROGENATION is a high- temperature, high-pressure process that changes kinky, unsaturated FAs into straight-chain saturated FAs, by forcing a pair of hydrogen atoms into each kink as a splint would support a broken bone.
                The straightened-out FA molecules can now pack together more compactly, like a bundle of twigs that have had all their crooked twiglets trimmed off. Fats containing these compacted FAs therefore become harder and less fluid. If your soybean- or sunflower-oil margarine hadn't been hydrogenated, you would be pouring it, rather than spreading it, on your toast. Manufacturers use hydrogenated oils in virtually every cake, cookie or cracker in your supermarket to make it smooth, rather than oily.
                Partial hydrogenation straightens out only some of the kinks in the unsaturated FA molecules. The rest are left in their bent, unsaturated shapes. Complete hydrogenation straightens out all the kinks in the FA molecules, making the fats completely saturated, and that's not good.
                TRANS FATTY ACID A trans FA is an unsaturated FA that has been subjected to hydrogenation, but was able to evade the hydrogen atoms and remain defiantly kinky and unsaturated. However -- and this is the crucial distinction -- in the fiery cauldron of hydrogenation, its kink has been twisted into an angle different from that of a normal unsaturated FA. Chemists call this shape of FA a "trans" fatty acid.
                Trans FAs are rarely found in nature; they are unnatural. When we eat a trans FA, our metabolism is baffled by its alien kinkiness and doesn't know what to do with it. So it vents its frustration not only by raising our LDL ("bad") cholesterol level, as saturated FAs do, but also by lowering our HDL ("good") cholesterol level. That double whammy is just about the worst thing a fat can do to us.
                Complete hydrogenation, by the way, as distinguished from partial hydrogenation, does not form trans FAs, because when all of the kinks in an unsaturated FA are straightened out -- no escapees -- there are no unsaturated kinks left, either natural or trans. Not that the resulting saturated fats aren't harmful, but at least they are not as harmful as trans FAs.
                Trans fatty acids are commonly but erroneously referred to as "trans fats," but they are not the entire fat molecules. They are merely the fatty-acid parts.
                The Food and Drug Administration has declared that the only acceptable amount of trans FAs in our diets is zero. Manufacturers don't "add trans fats" to foods, as I have seen stated. What they do is use partially hydrogenated fats for their desirable properties, and trans FAs are an inevitable result. When you see "partially hydrogenated" on a food label, you can bet that trans FA villains are in there. But if the product contains less than half a gram of trans FAs per serving, the FDA permits the label to say "No trans fats."

Comment

Originally posted by Gunner
                  I see a grand opportunity for genetic scientists for mutating human DNA in the future so that we process blood triglycerides, in combination with alcohol and KOH/NaOH at body temperatures, to urinate Biodiesel.
                  Gunner, Man this is magnificent
                  Well what a novel way to do it! This forum is certainly full of great ideas
                  I wonder if green blue algae will be the next best thing to eat so it can be converted into Biodiesel
                  One can then pee the resulting product right into the tank
                  How about that?
                  A walking breathing Bioconvertor genetically modified to produce the most environmental friendly fuel known, fully equipped for the job including the nozzle
                  Our maker thought of everything
                  Cannot wait to see it
                  May be some should stick to Apple juice, in the meantime I will stick to olive oil as my choice of tri not trans, as well as the amber stuff, for a bit of entertainment after work
                  Cheers
                  Chris
                  </IMG>
                  Cheers
                  Chris
                  Never give up :)

Comment

Originally posted by Chris
                    This forum is certainly full of great ideas>>>"Mother of Invention is necessity"...quoting the great man with the tongs.!!!
                    Our maker thought of everything >>>Clever aren't they
                    Cannot wait to see it>>>Hanging out for it!!!
                    Cheers
                    Chris
                    </IMG>
                    Did you folks here know that micro nutrients are being extracted from Urine pits for use as fertilizer.That to in India....and did you know folks, this is serious, one of the ex Prime ministers of India ,Hon Moraji Desai used to drink a part of his own urine everyday as a health tonic.He lived to ripe old age of 90 plus.
                    Now with stem cell stuff going on may be the Raliens(guys who claim to have cloned the first humans) needs to incorporate this in their agenda.That the cloned species will have kidneys that does the transesterification process with 100 % recovery of everything else.
                    You never know these guys may already be on to it.
                    Meanwhile some flash news from vietnam.
                    http://vietnamnews.vnagency.com.vn/s...um=01KAL270806

Cheers
                    Sauman

Comment

Originally posted by Chris
                      A walking breathing Bioconvertor genetically modified to produce the most environmental friendly fuel known, fully equipped for the job including the nozzle
                      Cheers
                      Chris
                      </IMG>
                      You could get in trouble with the Feminist in here(the nozzle bit).
                      Has strong indication that it is a male thingy only.Wait your legal comments Xavier.

Cheers
                      Sauman
                      Personally I see an avenue for developing add on special devices both for males and females.Fancy ones that extract even the last drop.
                      And new cars "Pee Mobile".
                      Will be a tough challange for those with Diabetes.Maybe they can go the ethanol way.
                      Hmm tough challanges for the technologist.

Comment

Originally posted by Sauman
                        That to in India....and did you know folks, this is serious, one of the ex Prime ministers of India ,Hon Moraji Desai used to drink a part of his own urine everyday as a health tonic.He lived to ripe old age of 90 plus.
                        Sauman
                        I think a more accurate way of describing that may be "he did not die until he was 90" I think if I drank some of mine each day, I would be hoping for a sooner rather than latter death!
                        cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

The actress Helen Mirren also famously drinks her own piss every day (or at least she used to)!!
                          Sean

Comment

Working...
                          X