Garden Hose and Poly Pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garden Hose and Poly Pipe

Does anyone know what happens to garden hose and poly pipe (black garden irrigation pipe) when used with BD?

Re: Garden Hose and Poly Pipe

Garden hose being made of rubber will disolve into a nasty black goo, dont do it.

Polypropylene is fine but it will weep when used to hold bio be warned and trust me but please do not ask how I know! It may depend on the quality of the polypropylene but somehow I do not think so. It does not break down at all (thankfully) so its fine for transport of the liquid.

Matt
    Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Re: Garden Hose and Poly Pipe

Originally posted by Chev28
      Does anyone know what happens to garden hose and poly pipe (black garden irrigation pipe) when used with BD?
      While I am not using it for biodiesel, only unheated veggie oil, I have used a cheap reinforced garden hose as a fuel line for 18 months now with no problems. It is green in colour and (on-special) cost $5.99 including fittings for 15 metres of the hose.

Polythene hose should be fine with biodiesel, but is not suited to areas where the temperature could exceed 50°C, as it loses rigidity and if under pressure may baloon out or rupture.

Nylon Air line is rated to 2MPa. It is available in a range of sizes and does not appear to be affected by biodiesel (sample in a jar for 3 years) or veggie oil. I tested it as the inner hose of a HIH for over 12 months with no problems. I am using it as the fuel flow and return lines for a HOH on my latest Mercedes 300D conversion (since Dec'05) with no problems. It can be supplied in Natural (opaque, but you can see air bubbles in the fuel ) or Black.
      Tony From West Oz
      Vice Chairperson of WARFA
      Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 30 August 2006, 12:40 AM.
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Working...
      X