Winterization of Cottonseed oil using enzymes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winterization of Cottonseed oil using enzymes

I recently stumbled across an executive summary of some research by the TEXAS FOOD AND FIBERS COMMISSION which stated that they found that room temperature winterization using enzymes was highly effective in removing high melting point saturates from cottonseed oil.

What they seem to have done is fractionate and winterize cottonseed oil at room temperature using a natural process utilising enzymes. While they were clearly using this process for food research purposes, which was to improve the oxidative stability and flavour of foods fried in cottonseed oil, this process would be of interest to us would it not?

What we now need to do is try to ascertain what this process is and how we can adapt it for our purposes.

I'm already salivating at the possibility that we might dispense with filters, and put these enzymes to work.
    bruceT
    Last edited by bruceT; 30 August 2006, 05:51 PM.
    Cheers
    Bruce

1976 W123 300D (3 litre 5-cyl NA diesel running on SVO since June 2006)
    1982 W126 280SE (Sadly is For Sale)
    1993 W124 300D (3 litre 6-cyl NA diesel - being converted to SVO)

Re: Winterization of Cottonseed oil using enzymes

I've now started my "winterization" trial with various samples of unfiltered wvo, which is used cottonseed oil, and some of the HMP oil left over from cold filtering. I've been getting very low returns from cold-filtering my oil from a local takeaway shop. The owner filters it and puts in back into the 20litre drums, so it's free of any visible particles. I've done the water test, and it also appears to be totally free of water.

It has been suggested that I should heat my tank so that I can use my HMP component. However, I don't really want to run anything in my car if it's going to need heat to keep it from going solid. Also, making biodiesel from it scares the crap out of me (methoxide), so I'm looking for a way of converting more of my HMP oils to LMP oils that I can just throw it into my tank.

So far, things are looking encouraging. 24 hrs after the addition of the fat-eating enzymes and bacteria, there is a frothing reaction going on and under the froth is a distinct layer of clear maple syrup-coloured oil, which is approximately 2/3 of the container. The bottom third is lighter in colour, so am not sure if it's "unprocessed fat", dead bacteria, or water from the reaction which has now emulsified some of the oil. It's probably all of the above! Some of it is the bran carrier, and that's clearly visble in the sediment. The untreated control sample is still unchanged, and barely pourable.

This is just a "suck it and see" preliminary test at ambient temperatures to guage what happens and whether it's worth pursuing further, before I do a more controlled run.

Has anyone else here tried enzymes/bacteria to convert high melting point oils?
    Cheers
    Bruce

Comment

Hi Bruce,
      Some time back I experimented with enzymes for the production of biodiesel using ethanol. I seamed to work a bit but I did not follow it along. It would be interesting to see what was the byproduct of your experiment. Try checking the FFA levels in the liquid oil over time.
      GraemeW

Comment

Hi Graeme

All I can say at this juncture is that things are looking quite promising. I've only completed one 20litre batch of HMP oil, but the results were much better than I expected.

It went into the tank today, and I've done about 50km on it.

However, before getting too excited about it, I want to repeat my 1st result at least 3 times.

Are you running BD or WVO?
        Cheers
        Bruce

Comment

Hi Bruce,

My 300D is running on WVO, the system will handle a slurry of tallow and WVO; however, at present I can not pre filter the tallow fraction effectively.

Can you post some more detail on your enzyme experiment, I would like to have a play with that method and see what happens.

GraemeW

Comment

Hi Graeme

Give me a month or so and I'll post the details then. I really would like to be able to post the details now, but I'm hesitant at this juncture because I've only had the one success. I'm a bit perplexed because one sample has not reacted at all. I think it may just be that I did not prepare the enzymes properly. Anyway, if it's a definite goer, then rest assured I'll post the details.
            Cheers
            Bruce

Comment

Hi Bruce
              Have you had any more success with the enzymes experiment?
              Cheers
              Maxwell

Comment

Hi Bruce
                Sorry for the last post. Was looking at the wrong date!
                But please keep us posted.
                Cheers
                Maxwell

Comment

Update: My results with enzymes to convert HMP oils to LMP oils to date have been most inconsistent. One batch works great, and conversion takes 8-12 days, and the next.....nothing at all happens. I suspect that the enzymes I'm using could be pH sensitive, so this is what I'm looking at right now.
                  Cheers
                  Bruce

Comment

Working...
                  X