Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How toxic is biodiesel/glycerine when made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How toxic is biodiesel/glycerine when made?

I understand that the methonal, KOH and their mix, are a very bad substitute for tomato sauce on a hamburger, but after the biodiesel and glycerine are made, are they any less toxic to humans, animals, plants and the environment?

George

Re: How toxic is biodiesel/glycerine when made?

Under making biodiesel there is a thread "what happens if you drink the stuff".

Basically although everything starts of nasty, the idea is it all reacts with each other, leaving chemicals that wont turn the fats in your skin to soap or dissolve your eyeballs.

the biodiesel winds ups up being similar nastyness to the oil it was made from, and the glycerine can be used as fertiliser/ compost.

Of course you could use SVO if like me, I failed chemistry at schoolmconsistently, and was better at tech, but it has its own problems.
    cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Biodiesel itself is less toxic than table salt and can be drunk if you feel like it. There is a level that it becomes toxic so be warned. The glycerine itself is full of methanol before its either distilled off or evaporated out. I would not recommend drinking this before the methanol goes out as its quite toxic. You can read up on this elsewhere search on "MSDS Methanol".

Then the glycerine is quite sweet but the alkalininty of it is qute nasty as there are soaps made from your favourite catalyst (NaOH or KOH) and I suppose some left over catalyst too if its not all made into soap.

So there you have it. Its a lot less nasty after being made apart form the methanol but recover that and you away.

Be warned about composting the glycerine, sure it goes well but the concentration of KOH (preferably not NaOH as its toxic to plants) gets too high and will kill things anyway. Just ask my nut tree.

Matt
      Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Biodiesel itself is less toxic than table salt and can be drunk if you feel like it.
        i would like to add a disclaimer to this:

If drunk try to avoid burping or farting as you may prove to start dieseling....

anyone care to admit tasting it??? how is it??
        Never tried myself I guess it's because its the first fuel i have ever brought a pump for. Ie no siphon
        Cheers
        Nick.
        Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW
        sigpic

Comment

I've not tried drinking it myself, but there's a Youtube video kicking around with Daryl Hannah (who is a biodiesel evangelist) drinking some.

Ah yes, here it is:
          [youtube]TKyprtCRiGE[/youtube]
          Sean

Comment

Originally posted by RODEONICK View Post
            anyone care to admit tasting it??? how is it?

While converting over 16 vehicles I often had to help prime the system by sucking on the fuel hose on the filter out let. I tasted biodiesel many times - It does not taste as bad as dino diesel and I did not get high or feel sick after. I do not recommend drinking it of course.

Cheers
            Fitian
            <><

Comment

While the toxicity of biodiesel has been discussed above, there has not been any discussion of the toxicity of the biodiesel by-product.

I believe that the by-product contains:
              Glycerol - A sweet substance which, while being an alcohol, is not an intoxicant like the smaller alcohols like Methanol and Ethanol.
              Soaps - The neutralisation of the Free Fatty Acids in the oil forms soap from the caustic and FFA. Soaps can burn the gullet and stomach if ingested.
              Solid contaminants - burnt foodstuffs, and dehydrated foodstuffs while not at all toxic are unpalatable.
              Methanol - Methanol is toxic and there is a significant amount in the by-product layer. In humans, this can cause blindness and death.

As a rough guide, if 20% methanol is used in the process, the by-product from processing 200 litres of biodiesel will be around 40 litres.
              • Approximately 40 - 50% of this will be methanol (16 - 20 litres of methanol).
              • Approximately 40 - 50% of this will be glycerol and
              • Approximately 1 - 15% of this will be soaps and solid contaminants.
              Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
              '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
              '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
              '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
              '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
              '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
              '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
              '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
              '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
              '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
              '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
              '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
              '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
              Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Tony, I don't fully buy that. I often boil my by-product to vent off the methanol, prior to making soap. I definitely do not lose 40 -50% of the material, in fact the loss is barely noticeable. I think most of the methanol is converted in the biodiesel-making process, and only a small percentage remains in the by-product. But I am no chemist...

Comment

Yorta2,
                  What ratio of oil to methanol do you use? Is your processor sealed to prevent methanol loss?
                  Methanol to 11% of the volume of oil is used as part of the biodiesel. The remainder is either evaporated, stays in the biodiesel or remains in the by-product layer. If you use 15% methanol, then you would only have a max of 4% remaining in the biodiesel and byproduct. (eg 30 litres Methanol in 200 oil - 22 litres used in process, 8 litres remain in the by-product and biodiesel, or is evaporated off)

A friend of mine tested his fresh biodiesel and only lost about 0.5% of it's volume when bubble dried to remove any remaining methanol, so I presumed that would be typical. Perhaps this is not the case for all biodiesel? If soaps are high, methanol can be combined with soaps (keeping them in solution), until the methanol is evaporated off.

I used simple maths to work it out. I frequently make simple mathmatical errors. If you find them, please advise so that I can correct the errors.

Please advise what amount of methanol you use in the reaction, the volume you lose by drying the biodiesel and the volume you lose by drying the by-product.
                  Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
                  '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                  '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

Tony, I use 20% methanol in my reaction (100 litres of ricebran oil, 20 litres of methanol, and NaOh for the methoxide mixing), water wash the fuel after draining my by-product. I air dry the fuel, but of course that has nothing to do with the by-product. The glycerol mixture is poured into drums and when I require some to make soap, I scoop it out of the drums, heat it to liquify it, measure off 5 litres, and boil it to evaporate the methanol. As I said, very little is lost - I don't need to measure it, as it is pretty insignificant. Of the 5 litres that I boil, I still have pretty near to 5 litres left afterwards with which to make my lye soap.

Comment

Is it stored in air tight drums?
                      Is your processor sealed to minimise loss during processing?

the stoichometric(sp) ratio for triglycerides is around 11%, dependant on the type of oil. The shorter length triglycerides like palmate and stearate require more % methanol than the longer chain triglycerides like oleate, linoleate, etc.
                      As you are using rice bran oil, I doubt that you would require any more than 11% methanol.

Where is your methanol going??

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Tony, I store my fuel in airtight drums, and the by-product generally is, but not always. My processing reactor vessel has a vent on top (an old tyre valve with the core removed). I find that is enough to prevent pressure buildup - it hisses when I add the methoxide, and I do this while the oil is pump mixing, but just slightly vents during the remaining mixing period. I don't know where any excess methanol goes...

Comment

When distilling off the meth from 500 litres of glyc. by-product I used to get around 180-250 litres methanol back....

I used 20-25% meth/vol oil (difficult to measure accurately with that set-up)

What I noticed was that you need to get the by-product to above 80 deg.C before much in the way of meth came off.....

I used to stop distillation at 90 degrees....

Hi Tony! How you doing!..OK I hope-Long time no see....

Comment

Hmm, I heat my byproduct to around 160-170 degrees F (which is below 80 degrees C) and stir it for about 10 minutes to vent off the methanol - perhaps I need to go higher. I thought that would be high enough.

Comment

Working...
                            X