No announcement yet.

An 11% fuel saving addition to the car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An 11% fuel saving addition to the car?

Anyone see mythbusters? They seemed to get a 11% fuel saving by covering the car in golf ball style dimples. They used clay, so obviously that wont work in the real world, as they were able to ignore the loss of getting the extra weight up to speed.

So if I got a camping matress (one of the thick foam ones) cut out dimples and stuck it to the merc, would this work in the real world? (although I suspect my fuel savings may be ofset by having to purchase time with members of the opposite sex, rather than getting it for free)

And I guess there are lots of reasons why cars dont have them already, but do you think we will see them in the future?
    cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Re: An 11% fuel saving addition to the car?

Cool, next time we get a big hail storm I will park the troopy outside to get the dimple effect for free.

Oh hang on, a 11% saving on fuel that I get for free.

God bless, froggo.
    HJ45 Landcruiser Troopy
    Home made 2 tank system
    Blending in main diesel tank
    SVO/WVO Converted 18/01/08
    http://www.biofuelsforum.com/svo_users/3667-hj45_troopy_conversion.html

Comment

Hay ya don't have to go to such drastic lengths to get that effect. Sand it down and spray with 50 cans of Hammered finish paint.

Should do the trick. Dimples are not as big as in golf balls, but should give lets say 50% of the 11% saving. Then if you also do the underbody that will increase it even further.

Comment

Sorry I should have been more specific. The golf ball dimples were to "Scale", ie about 2 inches across! Of course you would look like an idiot driving around like this, it would be over rated and not really that effecitve. Fiberglass pryass body panels in this design could be good sellers.....
        cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

I see. I was thinking dimples like on a golf ball, but it's more like the dimples left by a gold ball.

Forget the paint. Just go for a drive up and down the fairways one Saterday morning. I'm sure they will oblige and give you dimples.

Comment

Originally posted by Qwarla View Post
            I see. I was thinking dimples like on a golf ball, but it's more like the dimples left by a gold ball.

Forget the paint. Just go for a drive up and down the fairways one Saterday morning. I'm sure they will oblige and give you dimples.
            Or just park it out in a hailstorm. Most try to get under cover before a hailstorm. Insurance companies will love this news. No more payouts for hail damage, in fact they will probably collect a levy to cash in on your fuel savings.

Comment

Hi All,

My car is serverly hail damaged and the number of people that ask is it hail damage. Well now I tell them it is golf ball dimpling to get the extra 11% fuel economy, but you only get about 8%. MInd you the 11% is ofset buy all the wind resistance because of the roo bar and the wind drag from the twisted metal from where I keep hitting them.

Cheers Gene

Comment

This technology has been used for years, you find it on stealth fighters for anti detection and speed, modern swim suits, big ship anti fouling, dolphins, many other fast moving fish species and is being trailed on new submarines, fast patrol boats and racing yachts.

The anti whaling boat sunk by the japs had a form of this on it's lower hull, I had a good look at it when it was in Hobart. Instead of pushing the object through the water or air, this method creates a small suction so the object is sucked through the water or air, reducing drag and energy use.

Comment

Very cool! With the solar car designs in the various solar challenges, this feature could lead to a more readilly available and accessible solar car

Comment

Working...
                  X