Biodiesel in a GM 8V71

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biodiesel in a GM 8V71

Hi I'm new here so I not sure if someone else has asked a similar question but.... I own a '79 Denning bus that is my motor home and is powered by a Detroit 8V71 diesel. I was wondering if anyone knows how bio diesel will run in the old two stroke motor?? I live in Tamworth NSW and the winter temps can get down to sub -5 or -6 at times. What conversions do I need?
    Thanks for your help

Re: Biodiesel in a GM 8V71

Check the fuel hoses. If you used the super cheap and nasty variety you may have a problem. Get Gates hoses from a truck shop. Keep a spare fuel filters and change if needed as the bio will clean the crap out of the system. Plenty of other stuff on this board.

Comment

Be wary of using Gates hoses or any other nitrile rubber based hoses.

You need Viton lined hoses (expensive and difficult to get in Australia) or a solid nylon inner hose or even perhaps clear teflon but its pretty soft.

I used gates primaflex with bio and it was softened and porous in a short time breaking down in the presence of biodiesel.

Goodyear(Pirtek sell it) make a 1/2 inch solid nylon inner spray hose intended for chemical spraying but it makes a fine fuel hose with biodiesel. I am not sure what size you fuel line is but it will be close to this or a bit bigger.

Have fun and good luck,
      Matt
      Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Thanks for the tips so far, guys.
        Reg

Comment

There is a dude over in the infopop forum called Barclay brown who is making a WVO conversion for his 72 GM 4108 DD 8v71 . May be you could get onto him and see what he thinks. Failing that my guess would be that it would be OK as long as you check and replaced as necessary any rubber components. That might include an injector pump overhaul.

Joe
          Joe Morgan
          Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
          http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
          SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Comment

Irun my old dozer on home made or should i say shed made unwashed biodiesel its a 271 gm and its screams and smells great to

Comment

Working...
            X