Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling and in need of fuel

Hi all,

We are embarking on our annual trip from Melbourne to Southern Queensland in our WVO converted GQ Nissan Patrol. I am carrying what I believe will be enough fuel to get to the Gold Coast, and will be looking for some supplies to continue our trip, and make it back home again. If anybody has some spare WVO that I can buy it would be greatly appreciated. We are also looking for the odd backyard to pitch our tent from time to time.

Love to hear from you.

Regards
    Marcus
    marcus@vegiecars.com

Multifuel Diesel Vehicle Conversions
    Powered by Waste Vegetable Oils
    3 Waratah Avenue
    Belgrave Vic 3160

Re: Traveling and in need of fuel

If you want to make a minor () detour, perhaps I can help you out with a few hundred litres.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

wondering your time of travel and also how far into qld

Comment

Hi Tony, would love to detour over your way, but will have to wait 'till next year. Greasy... Warwick Wednesday, Gold Coast Thursday - Noosa Monday. And thanks to Aaron for the offer of fuel, I'll be calling you tomorrow.

Regards
        Marcus

3 Waratah Avenue
        Belgrave Vic 3160

Comment

Well I'm back in freezing Melbourne, arrived last night. Thanks to everybody who emailed offering fuel for our trip. As it turned out I was able to carry enough onboard to travel 2000km at a time, and refuelled with Aaron near the Gold Coast twice - it was just too easy!

Our round trip of 6000km cost us about $240 compared to around $1200 - $1400 if we were running on Diesel. We were using the no purge system that I have installed, so didn't need to use a drop of Diesel, and I don't think we would have been able to do it so cheap if we were trying to sponge Biodiesel of the good folk on these forums.

A local to me here has departed on a trip to WA and is looking for some top up's along the way, his email address is bazpas@iprimus.com.au , and I have his phone number available as well. I'll send you his details Tony, and yours to him, but if there is someone in Adelaide that would be great too.

Thanks again to everyone for their generosity. I look forward to topping up some fuel tanks for other travellers. Maybe we could start a register online here somewhere?

Regards
          Marcus

3 Waratah Avenue
          Belgrave Vic 3160

Comment

Marcus,
            I will be happy to provide some veggie for your friend.
            Have him call me on 0428 920 881 when he is getting close to Perth. Evenings would be best for me, as I get very busy at work.
            Regards,
            Tony
            Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
            '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
            '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
            '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
            '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
            '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
            '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
            '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
            '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
            '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
            '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
            '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
            '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
            Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Greetings from New Zealand. I only found this site today and joined, so PLEASE bear with me. I am new here,not a computer genius but totally committed to the use of WVO or UVO as one of our American cousins prefers to call it. I am learning about "veggie powered vehicles" by trial and error (quite a lot of EACH I might say !)
              My background in this area is as follows. I bought a SSangYong(think that's how you spell it) pick up truck, about a year ago. It was already converted and came with a 1000 litres of veggie oil, which was "cleaned" in front of me in my garage I have used about 900 litres of the oil up to now and what is left in the 1000 litre tank is so thick that it won't go through a paper towel (filter) when HEATED!!!
              I have had quite a lot of used veggie oil in 20 litre drums in my garage for quite a while and decided this weekend that it was time to start making my own fuel. Believe it or not, my first effort was at the kitchen sink. I got the dirty oil out of the drum, poured it through what you might call a large tea strainer to get rid of "the lumps," into a 2 litre hot water jug. I heated it up and then poured through a regular coffee filter which I put into a funnel. It worked fine, but OHHHHHHHH so slowly! I then had the BRIGHT? idea of using a regular (old) coffee purculator, the theory being that if WATER would go through, why wouldn't strained waste veggie oil? I destroyed the coffee machine in very short order. I then found an old commercial coffe urn on "TradeMe" which I got for NZ$45.00. The idea behind this behing that since it was "heavy duty" it might work!! YEAH RIGHT! I poured the oil through the tea strainer into the urn and switched it on. The oil got HOT but didn't move, all we got was lottsa smoke in the kitchen! I have a VERY longsuffering wife!! Well, NOW we have got it pretty well figured and can produce about 2 gallons an hour. The procedure, for now, is
              1) Empty dirty oil from 20 litre drum into plastic 4 litre water jug (ex Woolworths)
              2) Pour oil through tea strainer into 2? litre hot water jug (mentioned earlier)
              3) Heat oil
              4) Pour through "filter system" into commercial coffee urn. I think to use the word "system" may be a little "OTT-Over The Top," but here is what "the system" comprises. We place 2 paper towels in the coffee urn metal filter, stand the the metal filter VERY CAREFULLY on top of a colander and place the colander over the coffee urn, which holds about 15 litres. EUREKA, it works a treat! Initially I placed the paper towels directly in the but, since the colander "slopes" all the "bits" ran to the middle of the filter. My aforementioned, dear LONG SUFFERING, wife had the idea of using the coffee urn filter and as a result of having a "flat" as opposed to a "sloping" system, the filters (paper towels) last quite a bit longer. One thing that crossed my mind, and is part of the reason for this lengthy "whateveryouliketocallit" is that our "system" is portable!! "Traveling and in need of fuel," COULD take with him a hot water jug, paper towels, tea strainer and some sort of filter holder and stop at any "chippy" He would, of course, need electricity to heat the oil, but I reckon he could find that easily. The local newspaper would probably be VERY interested in helping as it would make a great story.
              As I said, I am very new at this and am learing. This is my first attempt at making my own veggie fuel and am pleased with the progress from regular coffee filter in the kitchen, to large coffee urn on the back porch producing 2 gallons an hour. I found some fascinating websites over the weekend, in between the 2 gallons an hour. One that I recommend 100% to those who may not know it is Home another one is PlantDrive Home Page they are both US sites but the fryer to fuel one shows a home oil filtering system which looks simpe enough for even ME to build and the parts should be available even here in New Zealand. I hope that readers will find this of interest and, perhaps, of assistance in some way. I hope to hear from others, especially anybody in New Zealand, who is into WVO as a fuel .
              Regards
              Geoff. Waterhouse-Bay of Islands, New Zealand

Comment

Hi Geoff, thanks for your (lengthy) reply. Great to hear that you've got it all happening over there in NZ.

I'm a cheat, I get my "fuel" already filtered to 4 micron from a Fish and Chip shop. Most of them are doing it these days. Then it just needs to be settled for a couple of weeks.

You said that you got your vehicle already converted, with 100l of fuel - was this from Envirocar? If so, why aren't you getting "fuel" from them?

Regards
                Marcus