Adding a 2nd shot of methonal!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a 2nd shot of methonal!

One commercial BD system I came across added a second shot of methonal after the first reaction had ended. Their system later recovered any excess methonal but the text said that it aided in separation.

Comments? Anyone want to try this?
    G

Re: Adding a 2nd shot of methonal!

Hello gwalker

This is the 2 stage Base/Base method that has started to become popular in some biodiesel circles even though there have been not tests performed to show it accomplishes anything other than increasing the amount of time you spend making biodiesel.
    I have performed tests that shows if you use the base/base method with lightly used oil you can save about 1g NaOH per litre WVO reacted, however it produced no better biodiesel than the single stage method.

The chemist Neutral has performed tests that shows a conversion of 99.89% is achievable in a single stage with new oil.
    100% is impossible.

I suspect where this method is used in commercial settings that have huge reactor tanks and they can not insure complete mixing/reaction of all the oil.
    I also understand that Commercial producers use more chemicals than home producers typically do in any case.

I think the 2 stage Base/Base method would also be useful for home producers who have a reactor that is not particurlarly well designed.
    This is especially true with reactors that allow the glycerine layer to start settling out while the reactor is still running.

Tilly

Comment

Re: Adding a 2nd shot of methonal!

Tilly,

Thank you for your logical and easy to understand reply.

G

Comment

Working...
      X