Biodiesel from waste mineral oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biodiesel from waste mineral oil?

can anyone tell me whether it is possible to make diesel (not really bio) from waste mineral oil?
    Everything is possible. It's just a matter of engineering, probability and time.

Re: Diesel (distillate) from waste mineral oil?

Apparently it is.

I understand it to be a cracking / distilling process.

See www.freediesel.com.au and Australia4wd.com and here where it has been discussed

One of the guys from australia4wd.com has built what I describe as a pot still and has used the fuel produced in a hilux.
    glenos

Comment

Re: diesel from waste mineral oil?

I used to have a link to website for a crowd near Geelong that made fuel from waste oil. They cracked / distilled the product.

The link went dead years ago and I never found any reference to them after that.

It is not a good environmental practice to use old sump oil as fuel. It has many metal continants and pollutes heavily.

Cheers,
      Paul
      Brisbane
      80 series TDi with 100K on B100
      2005 Audi A3 TDi B20-B50 60K on BD
      1993 Daihatsu Rocky - B100 20K on BD - all good!

Comment

Re: Biodiesel from waste mineral oil?

There was a thread on infopop that went for an incredibly boring amount of pages about this but I never saw the conclusion. A guy bought some plans over the net to make an oil producing contraption and was building it. Supposedly he did make a fuel from it but it was supposed to be a continuous proccessor and I never saw if he got it perfected or not.

From what I did read it was some sort of craking / distillation process that was supposed to not only make a fuel from mineral oil but veg oil, turkey guts , old tyres, plastic and a heap of other things.

If your question is more along the lines of can you make fuel from mineral oil using the biodiesel reaction process, I believe the answer is no.

Comment

Hello Glenos

The Process sold on the Free Diesel Site sounds like the process where you run whatever comes out of a garages waste oils drum through a filter to remove solids and acusorbe beads to hopefully remove water and then mix with Diesel fuel as required to lower the viscosity to a point where your engine will run.
          On the site you linked to it says:
          '◊ NO CHEMICALS TO ADD.
          ◊ NO RUNNING or OPERATING COSTS.
          ◊ YOU DON'T NEED ELECTRICITY, GAS, ETC TO RUN THE PLANT'

It sounds as if it is probably something like "This Site

"What is BLACK-DIESEL or Black oil fuel additive ?
          Used engine/machine oil - to -"Black-Diesel" process!
          Black-oil is made from many types of micron filtered engine and other lubricating oils with the fatty acids and other water bound contaminates removed by hydrous ion-adsorption process. Our special ion-adsorption beads make the process easy and inexpensive! When Black-oil is mixed with Diesel it becomes Black-Diesel.
          Our special hydrous ion-adsorption beads make the process easy and inexpensive! The hydrous ion-adsorption beads can be regenerated forever by burning them in an oven every few years. No alcohol is needed - just pump used machine oils in on one end and out comes usable Black-oil on the other end. The Black-oil is then mixed with 20% to 50% Diesel fuel to become Black-Diesel and used in any Diesel type motor, jet turbine or oil burner. NEVER go below 20% Diesel!!!!
          NOTE: Black-Diesel fuels may tend to smoke if insufficient amounts of Diesel fuel are added to the oil. If the burner chamber is kept VERY hot and additional air is injected into the exhaust at the source of ignition smoke generation will be greatly diminished!
          We recommend you start with 50/50 mix at first and see how it burns in your engine.
          Smaller engines run seem to better with higher Diesel fuel to oil ratios while on the other
          hand we have seen very large 300 HP+ "CAT" engines run on up to 80% black oil with ease."

I Personally would NOT use or recommend this procedure

Tilly

tillyfromparadise
          Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 8 September 2006, 12:05 AM.

Comment

This idea of mixing used motor oil into diesel/biodiesel has been floated around for a while. There was a thread that discussed this concept on the infopop forum about blending used motor oil into the WVO prior to esterification. The heavy bits would drop out with the glycerin and the used engine oil would end up blended into the biodiesel. There was also some concerns about various pollutants left in the used engine oil being released into the atmosphere.

There were various blends, such as 10-20% used engine oil. I tried some of the techniques, but I couldn't get the black soot to drop out of the biodiesel/fuel and stay in the glycerin. I suspect that it had to do with the long-life additives in the oil. The soot would drop to the bottom of the biodiesel upon setting, but would quickly remix into the biodiesel upon a bit of turbulence. The fuel was a very black colour. Perhaps the particles that stayed in the biodiesel were too small to cause any problems, in any case they went through the fuel filter without any problems.

I did notice one thing - if I had a blend of 80-90% biodiesel and the rest of the blend was used engine oil, it had more power than B100.

Comment

I beleive there is a company in Brooklyn/Nth Altona, Melbourne, near the Crematorium for the locals, that recycles used engine oil and produce a fuel. I am not sure what the spec is and whether it is suitable for cars or boilers, but it is being done.

As for putting used engine oil through fuel pumps and injectors???

There are alot of "things" floating around in used engine oil; carbon, wear-metal and a variety of additives. Some will be filterable, some wont, some may wash out if addeed to wvo prior to processing.

I wouldn't put used engine oil into my fuel, it probably would add a bit of grunt to Biodiesel but it wouldn't be worth the risk.

cheers

Steve.

Comment

Hi All
                The mob refer to by Steve does do that they "produce" the oil from sump oil collected from motor service places
                They sell a burner to deal with the waste oil which is mainly used in hot house flower as well as vegetable growing around victoria
                They do not promote the fuel for engine use but they will say that they know of people that do use it as fuel as I do know some people that use it as well
                The process they use is a filtering process as well as the addition of certain "light" fractions of oil so as to reduce viscosity
                The biggest problem of course is that the engine oil has additives to increase is viscosity when it is hot such as found in "Multigrade" oils
                Very hard to remove
                Cheers
                Chris
                Cheers
                Chris
                Never give up :)

Comment

Sump oil is recycled in a variety of products including ... sump oil. That is what's on offer for $5x4L at the supermarket.
                  Waste oil can be used as a diesel "extender" just like SVO can be. Probably 10% is about the limit if you want keep your injectors clean, however it needs to be properly filtered first and that can only be achieved satisfactorily with a heavy industrial grade centrifuge to eliminate all the solid particles of carbon. Not a cheap set up.http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Alfa-Laval-10...QQcmdZViewItem
                  There could be a cheaper alternative, that is to buy from a wrecker a centrifuge off a big old truck or stationary engine and mount it in line with an electric pump and a couple of good oil filters.
                  http://www.dieselproducts.com/spinner/sp_works.html
                  If you can stomack the clean up of muck you will get in abundance out of your sump oil, you can happily burn it in your diesel engine if you use discretion, at a guess less than 10%.
                  When sump oil can be diluted with kero and used in higher doses, I wouldn't go there, unless you drive a 1957 GMC 18 wheeler truck or a boat or generator with a Lincoln 'one lunger'
                  Last edited by Guest; 10 September 2006, 01:49 PM.

Comment

This however is much more interesting

http://www.globalfinest.com/tech/

We can get together and install one. 500/L x h will keep most cars stocked with fuel for some time.

Comment

This is the plant

Converts Used Motor Oils, Transformer Oil, Crude Oil, Flushing Oil, Oil sludges, Bilge Oil, Polyethylene, Polypropylene, PVC & Polystyrene into EN590 Diesel.

With the price of oil now at around $100, waste oil collectors, owners of normally unproductive oil wells etc should surely be interested in it.

Plastics, Oil into Diesel, BioDiesel, Depolymerization

Comment

it can definatly be done. I do some work for an oil refiner just out of newcastle that processes all sorts of waste oil into clean lubrication oils and i know one fo there products is diesel. main process is distilling it in i think a pot still
                        God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow,sun without rain, but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way <><

Comment

As Tilly said before, the answer to the question which is the subject of this thread, "Biodiesel from waste mineral oil?" Is NO.

While a fuel can be made from used engine oil, it is definitely NOT Biodiesel.
                          Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                          '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                          '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                          '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                          '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                          '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                          '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                          '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                          '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                          '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                          '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                          '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                          '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                          Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Hey, Marc1 is back
                            Have you got another new way to make biodiesel you were going to share with us until someone upsets you and you post another childish attack on everything that moves?
                            Originally posted by Marc1
                            The answer of course is YES, regardless of what Tilly said.
                            What was it I said it is regardless of?

Comment

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
                              As Tilly said before, the answer to the question which is the subject of this thread, "Biodiesel from waste mineral oil?" Is NO.

While a fuel can be made from used engine oil, it is definitely NOT Biodiesel.
                              Ref your above quote
                              Derrrrrrr

Comment

Working...
                              X