Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Landrover Freelander issue with B10 in Spain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landrover Freelander issue with B10 in Spain.

Hi,

This is my first post and first of all I want to express my gratitude to all the people that makes possible this forum. It's time for a better world !!

I live in Spain and we don't have biodiesel available in a generic way. We only have some suppliers that sell dino diesel with an small percentage of biodiesel ( 10% or 20% in some cases ). Also, practically all repair services and even manufacturers don't recommend the use of biodiesel.

I own a LR Freelander TD4 2001, and I've been using B10 during last year without problems until now. Recently my car started with problems at startup. Not always, sometimes in a cold start in the morning, sometimes after 2 hours of driving, etc. I've discarded immediately battery and startup engine problems. After my first visit to the official service they replaced a sensor in the engine ( camshaft sensor ?? In spanish, 'sensor del árbol de levas' ) and the car ran fine for 2 weeks before to appear again the startup issue.

Yesterday the car decided to not start anymore, so today, in the Landrover repair service the guy asked me if the car used biodiesel, and I've answered 'yes'. Answer from the service: biodiesel is not supported in any percentage in your car, don't use it because it will damage your injection system, your engine uses 'common rail' technology and it doesn't like biodiesel. You will start having problems with filters and after some time injectors will be damaged and possibly the pump will also be damaged.

After reviewing the car, the repair guy told me: injectors are still OK and working properly, you had a completely obstructed fuel filter, we've just changed it.

My question here is: I go to repair service to have regular inspections in my Freelander every 10.000 KMs, last one was in June 2006. Is it possible that the fuel filter had been obstructed just in 2 months ?? or simply they don't check/change it in regular inspections ??

Is there any difference in Spanish Freelanders that prevent the use of biodiesel or is simply ignorance ??

Any comments will be appreciated !!!

Regards,
    Joan B. Altadill

Re: Landrover Freelander issue with B10 in Spain.

Hi Joan,

Welcome to the forums. As you will see, I have the same car as you do.

I do believe that the problems you are having with your mechanics is mostly related to ignorance on their part. I have had many problems with Land Rover parts and service and this was long before I ever used any biodiesel!

It is a very easy excuse for them to blame biodiesel, as to them it is the "new kid on the block" and an easy scape goat.

I have had problems with a clogged fuel filter when I first started to use biodiesel, but that was only because of the years of sludge that the petro diesel had left behind that the biodiesel had cleaned out and flushed down the lines to the fuel filter.

On the TD4, the recommended change for the fuel filter is only every 100,000Kms and it is not really something that they can inspect and put back if it is OK. I would not be surprised if your filter was probably due for a change anyway (most people change them every 20,000kms).

I'm a bit limited in time at the moment, or I'd write more, but I will try to check back in a few days and offer some more help.

Lastly, the quality of biodiesel can vary. Land Rover may be wary of biodiesel as they are afraid that the commercially made stuff does not meet spec. Without knowing too much about the commercial Spanish biodiesel, I can't really comment.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Comment

Most places don't checked the fuel filters unless they are due for change or there is a fuel problem. Your vehicle would be in this category. Most of us Landy drivers over here carry a spare fuel filter for remote travel as they can clog suddenly when bad fuel is used or they just clog over time and you don't notice till this happens.
      I havn't tried bio yet but I am aware that Land Rover don't recommend it. I will be discussing the use of Bio with the guys cleaning my injectors this week (don't expect them to be very positive). I have heard of a couple of TD5's that have been running bio for a long time and their only problems have been filters.

Comment

On the filter issue - you will only have to change your filters until your tank and fuel lines are clean of the sludge that the dino diesel leaves behind. Once this has been done, the only time you will need to change your filters (apart from the regular service intervals) is if you have bad fuel.
        I changed my filter once after my first few tanks of B100 biodiesel as the car got slower and slower until it stopped, as the fuel could not get to the injectors due to a blocked filter.
        Once it was changed, the car ran perfectly again.
        Additionally, I did not like the Land rover design of putting the fuel filter after the secondary lifter pump instead of before. I felt that if any crap were to get stuck, it should happen in the filter before the pump, not after it, potentially leaving the pump susceptible to getting blocked. So, I fitted an extra filter to mine (a glass bowl CAV filter) which went before this pump. This precaution is a good idea for either biodiesel or petroleum distillate, as it is cheaper and easier to change than the factory fitted filter and it adds some extra peace of mind.
        Robert.
        Site Admin.

Comment

Hi,

At last after replacing the fuel filter the issue occurred once, from now I only use dino diesel again which runs fine.

My impression is that the B10 that is available in Spain is not good fuel. I know that is made from recycled oil from kitchens and restaurants, so probably contains a lot of particles or even water. I don't know... Also it's probable that the dino part of the B10 was of bad quality... We know that fuel sold in supermarkets in Spain is of very bad quality.

I suppose that the fact of the filter being after the pump is decisive for bad fuel. I would ask to my repair service to install and additional one before the pump.

It's a shame that the only available bio fuel in Spain could not grant a decent quality, in our actual world which only wastes energy. I don't know why does not exist a regulation about this.

Regards,
          Joan

Comment

Hi Joan,

Originally posted by joanba
            It's a shame that the only available bio fuel in Spain could not grant a decent quality
            I'm not a biodiesel user but my understanding is that there isn't necessarily anything wrong with biodiesel that blocks your fuel filter. It is supposed to do that until your fuel lines and tank are free from petro-diesel deposits.

Comment

Hi
              If you use a product called Fuel Set in your tank for cleaning the fuel and the filters you will not have any more problems with mixing your fuel. It will disolve the residues in the tank, absorb any free water and pass through the fuel system cleaning the filters and injectors as it passes and keep everything running smoothly and efficiently.

Comment

Working...
              X