How do your friends treat you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do your friends treat you?

I've noticed people 'treating me differently' since I've started producing biodiesel. I've heard through the grapevine that some of my relatives are quite jealous that I'm making the stuff for one reason or another, and I think it even changes the way my fellow petrodiesel driving friends relate to me.

Has anyone else noticed changes in the behaviour of people around them since they've been producing biodiesel?

My sister is doing a story for her media course and was looking for something to write on. I suggested that she shouldn't write about backyard biodiesel production itself, but about how the relationships of the backyard brewer changes (if there are any changes at all).

I know this is a bit wayward and requires a bit of interpretation, but if anyone has anything to contribute at all, I'd be most grateful.

Best regards, Steve.

Re: How do your friends treat you?

Most people want to know how much you save, how hard it's to make and that smell.
    Cheers
    Maxwell

Comment

Five or six years ago you would have been considered as some sort of fringe dweller that obviously needed a life, now with the price of fuel going up and some media exposure people want to take the time to squeeze the 'secret' out of you.

If we have rationing of fuel, you can expect a lot of new found friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Syd
        If we have rationing of fuel, you can expect a lot of new found friends.
        That is seriously going to come all we need is full scale war in the middle east and we will be short on supply and the price will JUMP.

The main reason for replacing all my other families cars with Diesel's so when this time comes we will be OK in the most part
        Dave

Comment

Not a lot I do surprises my friends anymore.
          They have called me " Tim the Tool Man" for about the last 15 years.
          I always have about 5 DIY projects going at any given time and after things like designing my own rocket engines, Hot rodded lawn mowers, High powered flame throwing burners, building all manner of machines and contraptions and sticking an engine on everything possible, telling them about Bio barely raises an eyebrow. While my friends have had some laughs and " I don't believe it" moments with many of my projects, the thing they all have to admit is what I build works, and usually works better than they would have ever belived or my wife would have wanted.

Because a lot of my projects have looked pretty junkyard despite working well, In building my processor I have decided to try and make the thing look as professional and impressive as possible. I figure this will make it all a lot more creditable with them and save some jokes at my expense.
          I'm also taking extra care to be as neat and clean as possible when mucking round with the oil and storing it so it don't give the cook anything else to go crook at me for.

Most of my friends have company cars worth between $70-100K so I don't think they will ever be jealous of any Diesel car I will end up buying in the forseeable future and as they don't pay for fuel anyway, I think it will just be another of my amusing projects to them. If I can save money running my car on old cooking oil, once they see it works I think it will be a case of
          "Good on ya" And " Is this something else you learned about off the internet?"

My wife and kids have taken a supportive interest in Bio and are keen for us to get a diesel and save money on fuel. Rather than it just being another one of my hair brained projects, they all see the value and benifits in it.

I guess if people have never been seen by their friends as doing anything unusual or unconventional, getting involved in something relatively unheard of like Bio would get them wondering. I can't offer much advise if you find your friends or family are treating you differently because I just can't imagine why it would matter what sort of fuel you are putting in your car as to what sort of a person you are. If you ran your car on the blood of small fluffy animals and children, that might be different but other than that......

I don't have any relatives as such but have come to the conclusion from friends that do, in a lot of cases, family are people that cause you a lot of grief and give you a lot of **** that your friends would never put you through.
          If your friends are treating you differently, perhaps you need to make more friends with other Biodieselers

Comment

Most of my friends already think I'm a bit mad. Most of the poeple I work with tend to be politically right aligned, so the first question that they ask is "how much do you save doing that?", as they find any other reason incongruous and impossible to understand.
            Some of my more left aligned friends like the idea for environmental reasons, but they still think it sounds a little "out there".
            Robert.
            Site Admin.

Comment

yeah. funny that, peoples attitude to other peoples money. and being anything different to what they are.
              About 20yrs ago i had a workplace injury---spinal fussion opp.--moderate payout
              i didnt talk much about the payout opposite if anything ,but i soon learned to not say a bloody word about it, as people were always angry about it.
              i had either settled for too liitle and was an idiot or there was some resentment to me getting money that they had not.
              cant win
              just make biodiesel and be happy wiyhin yourself
              cheers

Comment

Here is a curly one. If you were to ask a group of individuals do you scrunch or fold your toilet paper, you would in fact get three groups. Those who say scrunch, those who say fold, and another group who go “whatdaya mean there is another way” and get a bit defensive, while they consider the merits of their wiping choice, ponder the other method, and probably will be relieved if you say “tell me tomorrow” so they can get time to experiment make some comparisons and be happy with their choice.

Biodiesel and SVO are similar. Many people don’t realise there is another way. Often people get defensive when they realise there are choices they haven’t considered, and often get “anti” the other choice, in much the same way as adolescents hate anyone who dosent like what they like (ford/ holden, straight/ gay cricket/ tennis). When they get older, make a choice and are happy with it, they get a bit more tolerant of a different choice because they are happy with theirs.

I don’t know if there are any people who now pay for fuel after making Biodiesel, but if there is, chances are they are happy buying it. They will have made some discoveries, considered the alternatives, and be happy with their choice. Of course this process is hard if you don’t know anything about the alternative. I made Biodiesel for the first time on he weekend, and I am happier in my choice to do UCO. I have confirmed my suspicions, it was as I expected, so am happy I am doing what is right for me.

Perhaps this is why there is a lot more Biodiesel on TV lately? So people can consider the alternative, and probably come to a similar conclusion to “the chasers war on Biodiesel”?

Probably if you do encounter hostility, first explain all the reasons why you would not want to make Biodiesel or run a car on UCO. This will probably make them feel comfortable, then explain why you do so they can see why you wish to (and for good measure also throw in what you missed from “the challenge”, ”environment” and “not supporting oil companies and their dealings”.)
                Captain Echidna
                Last edited by Captain Echidna; 12 September 2006, 09:52 PM.
                cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

in the clear corner of their mind mates take you for the loonatic one is..... ...u are...hehehe....
                  Which is about a cool human physcology.We can only do it together...

Love and smiles and most importantly shareing is care is what you are doing....so yes mates say what they want to...they are mates....they know you....

cheers
                  sauman
                  we can only do it together
                  long live the kingdom of mates...not a kingdom just a garden...called paradise.....heck....you never never know...till u never never go....

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Echidna
                    Here is a curly one. If you were to ask a group of individuals do you scrunch or fold your toilet paper, you would in fact get three groups. Those who say scrunch, those who say fold, and another group who go “whatdaya mean there is another way” and get a bit defensive, while they consider the merits of their wiping choice, ponder the other method, and probably will be relieved if you say “tell me tomorrow” so they can get time to experiment make some comparisons and be happy with their choice.
                    So what about the 4th group that do both and know it!
                    Dave

Comment

Someone who knows my mother in law and who knew third hand of what I do actually said I was ahead of my time after viewing the Landline programme last Sunday.

Something positive for all us!

Matt
                      Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

That episode of Landline was good. Best of luck to the bloke! I figure that he has to be employing at least 5 or 6 people in his small town. There's himself, his wife the biochemist (or whatever), the bloke who runs around in the truck collecting the oil, and now they are looking to pre-process their waste before putting it into the sewage system.

Whilst he can't meet the demand of the small town, at least it is one less truck bringing diesel in from miles away. How silly is it to import fuel when it could be made locally!!

Regards to all and thanks for your responses so far!

Cheers, Steve.

Comment

Working...
                        X