X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holden Astra CDTi

Hi All

I'm considering buying a Holden Astra CDTi, Well the Missus is anyway

Does anyone out there have any first hand info on the CDTi, owners etc...
    and if so do you know of any lemons or common problems with the vehicle ??

I did a web search and found a few good tests but was looking for more personal experience with the vehicle.

I believe the vehicle has a Fiat built motor, that Is what the NRMA.com.au web site claims, but saw something on TV that said it had a vauxall motor, which is it ?? I can't find the info, and of course has anyone any information on running the CDTi on Biodiesel ??

the dealer I was talking to didn't even know what biodiesel is !!

Thank you all in advance, any help would be much appreciated.

The Fat Man

Re: Holden Astra CDTi

Originally posted by Fat Man
    Hi All

I'm considering buying a Holden Astra CDTi, Well the Missus is anyway
    I believe the vehicle has a Fiat built motor, that Is what the NRMA.com.au web site claims, but saw something on TV that said it had a vauxall motor, which is it ?? ...
    As a GM vehicle built in Europe it would seem strange to have a Fiat motor, but I guess anything is possible - it is more likely that the whole car is Opel as that is the European GM brand. Vauxhall is in the UK what Opel is in Germany is what Holden is in Australia - the "local" brand of GM. Until the recent decision to brand Daewoos as Barinas, Holden Barinas came from an Opel factory in Spain.

..Neil
    ..Neil

VW Touareg R5 TDI

Comment

Hi Neil

Thanks for the heads up

it is more likely that the whole car is Opel as that is the European GM brand.

Your right about the above, not knowing much about Holdens I forgot the dealer I saw actually said It was German Built

I also checked the "GMInsideNews Forum" last night as well and the reply was similar, so you both have given me a couple of places to start from.

Much Appreciated

Fat Man

Comment

Hmm well thats a pain. I thought it might have an Izuzu motor in it like the Gemini's used to have. Oh well puts that idea asside for the moment.

I am also looking at replacing one of my families cars with the astra but will wait and see what the results are and if any more info can be gained for BD use in them.

might still be the pug or another EU car yet as they have a good record for BD use
        Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Jacka
          Hmm well thats a pain. I thought it might have an Izuzu motor in it like the Gemini's used to have. Oh well puts that idea asside for the moment.

I am also looking at replacing one of my families cars with the astra but will wait and see what the results are and if any more info can be gained for BD use in them.

might still be the pug or another EU car yet as they have a good record for BD use
          Hi Jack

After further checking I found out that it is in fact an Opel engine, haven't found any bad reports about the vehicle so far, one report said that when on an expressway the vehicles fuel consumption dropped to as low as 3.7l / 100k
          , at that rate I could drive to work and back for $1.50 !! using BD at 25c /ltr
          , also I don't hold anything the Holden dealer said as accurate or reliable, this guy was a waste of space !!

Also I read a story on an owner of an old Izuzu that had traveled over 540,000 klm on the original engine, I wonder if the Astra would do that ?

Cheers
          The Fat Man

Comment

Hi Jack

After further checking I found out that it is in fact an Opel engine, haven't found any bad reports about the vehicle so far, one report said that when on an expressway the vehicles fuel consumption dropped to as low as 3.7l / 100k
            , also I don't hold anything the Holden dealer said as accurate or reliable, this guy was a waste of space !!

Also I read a story on an owner of an old Izuzu that had traveled over 540,000 klm on the original engine, I wonder if the Astra would do that ?

Cheers
            The Fat Man

Hi Hi Just one thing Jacka just thought I would mention that there is an A incase you missed it

Yeah that is the biggest reason I like the izuzu engines the little gemini I had was still going strong on it's first engine at 340 000km and it was a little small 4cyl that would have been thrashed. wish I could have kept it but the body fell apart wish I could find another. Oh well.

But it is good news about the astra, might have to get me a test drive of one and see what my local holden dealer has to say about it
            Dave

Comment

An old bloke I knew out at Bourke 10 years ago had a gemini diesel, and he had 2 new ones in the shed he was saving for later.

Comment

Hi Fat man - my little Audi with the VW 2L motor will cruise the highway at about 5L per 100K - on BD I could drive from Bris to Melb for $20!!

Now that quote always raises a few eyebrows about both Diesel cars and BD!!

Cheers,
                Paul
                Brisbane
                80 series TDi with 100K on B100
                2005 Audi A3 TDi B20-B50 60K on BD
                1993 Daihatsu Rocky - B100 20K on BD - all good!

Comment

diesel gemi's you just can't kill em.i was hopeing to clock up a million kms on mine unfortunatly the odometer tossed it in at 650000.original engine second gearbox.

Comment

Don't I know it bush was just a shame that the frame and body on mine was so bad that it had to go if I find another I will snap it up quick
                    Dave

Comment

I have just taken delivery of an Astra CDTi Manual.

The cars are built in Belgium and Germany. The diesel design comes from a a consortium of GM (Opel), Fiat, Alfa and Saab. The turbo is a Garret variable-vane unit. The common-rail injection system is capable of multiple squirts in each cycle, each accurate to one cubic millimeter of volume. It produces 110 kW and 320 Nm of torque...it's an absolute weapon and the torque is incredible...and all this while averaging 5.5 l/100km

Ok about Biodiesel, speaking to the dealer, they said not to use Biodeisel, while I am 100% confident there would be no issue I am waiting for a letter direct from Holden on this issue...I am talking about commercial Biodiesel not home-brew.

digifish.
                      digifish
                      Last edited by digifish; 15 October 2006, 10:29 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

Hi All
                        Well she finally ordered it, Holden Astra CDTi, 6 Speed Manual, 1.9l Turbo

To say that it goes like the clappers is an understatment, test driving it and putting the boot in it went from 20kph to 90 kph in about a couple of seconds, I could feel my eye balls being pressed back into the sockets !! no bullshit !!

fuel ecomomy, according to the on board computer (Ha Ha) at 90kph in 6th it uses approx 3.5l per 100K

Picking it up next week.

anyone else out there with one ????

Regards
                        Fat Man

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Man View Post
                          Hi All
                          Originally posted by Fat Man View Post

anyone else out there with one ????

Regards
                          Fat Man
                          Yes me. Well I'm not new to this thread as I posted above in November.

I have had mine 5 months now and I loved it when I took delivery...and I love it even more now. The 1.9 manual CDTi is an absolute stonker!!!...and it's getting faster as the km add up on the engine (4700 km now).

Around town in the traffic it can be a bit of a chore to drive, like any manual car. But on anything other than peak-hour city traffic it's such rewarding car, it will accelerate up hills in 6th with 4 on-board and the air-con on…steep hills

This car is too good to be true…surely Holden will cancel it

I am never going back to petrol!

Average consumption is 5.8 for me.

digifish
                          digifish
                          Last edited by digifish; 16 January 2007, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Hey Digifish

Good to hear all that, Most of our traveling is on highways and expressways etc..

I will be most interested in seeing the letter from GMH, are you going to post a copy for all to see ??

" This car is too good to be true…surely Holden will cancel it "
                            Come on Digifish, don't temp them !!!

the largest power output is between 2000 - 3000 rpm, that's where it really flies

Can't wait to take delivery of the beast and go on Holiday somewhere with lots of corners.

There is a large hill on the approach to the mountains, I have to turn the AC off to maintain speed in my Hilux, otherwise it drops about 20k by the time you reach the top, the Astra wont even know there is a hill there

I'll keep you all appraised of it's performance etc...

Fat Man

Comment

Hi all.
                              What a great website and forum I have found.
                              I was actually looking for info on a new astra diesel and found this site.
                              I have sent a few emails to the above members re astra manual and was
                              hoping other members have more info on the fuel economy of the auto.
                              Holden have quoted 7.4 for the auto. and 6 for the manual.
                              It seems strange when VW only have a difference 0f 0.3 between the auto
                              and manual. But this may have something to do with VW having a DGS box.
                              I would have thought the astra manual would be better on fuel than the VW
                              as the astra is slightly lighter.
                              Thanks neil.

Comment

Working...
                              X