What makes for Low FFA Oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes for Low FFA Oil?

I am getting WVO from a couple of regular sources.
    The oil from one, a restaurant, gives me black stinking stuff that has a lot of burnt crispy bits in the bottom with a small amount of water “ dissolved” in it.
    The other place, a fish and chip shop, gives me oil that almost looks like new. It is fairly clear, smells pleasant and is a light golden color with little particles and no water at all.
    Both oils are very liquid with no fats settling on the bottom of the tins I get it in.

The Black stuff from the restaurant titrates at about 2.
    The clean pleasant stuff from the chip shop titrates at 9-10.

Why?

The fish shop seems to fry very little if any pre cooked or manufactured food and clearly their oil is changed a lot sooner than what the restaurant change theirs. They have been using Canola oil. I don’t know what the restaurant cook in their oil, it is an Italian place and I haven’t seen what the oil type is they are using.

A fellow BD’er has also been getting some black, smelly oil from another source and his titrates low as well.
    I have read that the more oil is used, the higher it titrates and the cleaner it is the better. Obviously there are significant other factors at work in what makes an oil titrate High or low and I wondering if anyone knows for sure what these actual factors are?
    Another thing I am wondering about, Do all new oils titrate the same or there abouts?
    Is titration value in any way dependent on the type or brand of oil used in the first place?

Lastly, when looking for sources of oil, are there any factors to look for that will increase the possibility of finding Low FFA oil? IE, type of food cooked, type of oil used, do things like salt or sugar have an influence. etc.

I have read that Chinese places have the best oil but is this true of Chinese restaurants in Australia and what they cook or more relevant to the US only?

In any case, I’ve yet to find a Chinese Restaurant that seems to dispose of any oil.

Re: What makes for Low FFA Oil?

Temperature and element size are paramount in deep fryers...

1. Temperature promotes oxidation / degradation.

2. If the elements are undersized (too little surface area for power ratio) oxidation and degradation will occur due to high localised temperature.

Comment

Re: What makes for Low FFA Oil?

Some foods also colour the oil. Soy Sauce ,the Red from the chinese BBQ pork, etc. If there is sugar or salt in the oil, it may also affect the colour of the oil.
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Working...
      X