Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY solar hot water (we need an off-topic forum!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY solar hot water (we need an off-topic forum!)

First of all can I suggest to Robert that he creates a new sub-forum here called something like "Off topic/non Biofuels discussion", for general chat and questions that have nothing to do with biofuels. What do others think?

I'm posting this topic here because I reckon people who are in to biodiesel may also be in to other sustainable living issues, so may be able to point me in the right direction.

I've wanted to convert my water heater to solar ever since moving in to my current house, but have been put off by the high price of professional systems (around $3000 even with the rebate). However looking around the web I've seen some old articles (in the US mainly,
    such as this one here) on how to build your own basic passive solar water heater (sometimes called Batch or Breadbox water heaters).

These are basically an old hot water tank, painted black in an insulated box with glass front, and stuck on your roof or at ground level, plumbed in parallel to your existing hot water tank. No pumps, no controllers or special valves to go wrong. And dirt cheap! Now for anyone who'se built an appleseed reactor it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to build one of these!

However I haven't heard of anyone in Australia building one. Has anyone seen any discussion of these on the web on Aussie based forums? The main questions I want answered are what would the plumbing regulations allow for in this country? It would be connected directly to town water so I expect would need to have final connection/certification by a registered plumber. But it's possible it would be completely illegal. Also it would be good to hear how effective they are in our climate - I would imagine pretty effective.
    Sean

Re: DIY solar hot water (we need an off-topic forum!)

This stuff comes up all the time at http://www.ata.org.au/

Try their back issues or give them a call for the article you need. There was an article called "The Ultimate DIY Solar Hot Water Heater" at page 40 of Issue 79 which might be what you are after.

Comment

Pangit, you are right, we need an off-topic area. I will add it to the long list and it will happen one day.
      Robert.
      Site Admin.

Comment

Actually, this is the same design as in the ATA article.

http://www.voltscommissar.net/K4/kernkraft.htm

Comment

Yes I've seen those plans before, but considering you have to buy flat panel collectors that pushes the price up to nearly $2000! That's almost as much as a full commercial system, and well over my budget. And it's complicated, requiring a pump and controller.

The beauty of the Batch water heater is that it's cheap and simple, using mainly scrap parts and mains water pressure, no pumps. It may not be as efficient but it's much more cost effective.

That's why I'm surprised there aren't more people out there who've built one (or at least posted something online!)
          Sean

Comment

Originally posted by pangit
            that pushes the price up to nearly $2000! That's almost as much as a full commercial system
            I wish I could find a commercial system for $2000!

Comment

Actually that was Oct 2000 prices. I'm sure it's more now!
              Sean

Comment

Used solar hot water systems are ofter replaced in total, where the problem may be just a leaky tank or panel. It is possible to buy secondhand panels and tanks for a fraction of the new price (no warranty) and you can install them up yourself (not sure of legality in any part of Oz).
                If you have an existing HWS, you could add panels to convert it to a solar HWS. You would need to upgrade the pressure/temperature relief valve to cater for the increased energy input.
                Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Try the ATA anyway, they may open your mind as to what is possible.
                  Chev28
                  Last edited by Chev28; 14 September 2006, 06:14 AM.

Comment

I have installed 2 solarhart units. The first bought new over 20 years ago and installed myself whilst the second I bought 10 years ago second hand. Both are still working. They are extremely well made to use and cope with WA water which is less than ideal. With clean tank water and they will last a long time. To recharge with hart guard I replaced the proprietary fitting with old Titta brass fittings. The thread is almost the same. One is tappered while the other is not. I fitted a gate valve and use a stirrup pump to fill the panels. I try to check the panels every Spring to make sure they are full. The panels should face North at the same angle as Latitude. ie 38 degrees for Melbourne.

One sytems is connected by 25mm copper pipe to a heat exchanger fitted to the rear of my wood fire so during the winter it gets some heat from my interior heater. Set up is not quite legal as it is running at pressure.
                    Last edited by smokey2; 3 October 2006, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Secondhand solar parts are around. I have 5 pannels waiting for me to find a way to use them. I just needed an easy to follow plan is all.

Comment

Any Solar Hot water heater I would be interested in would be fired with veg Oil !

Solar energy makes the plants grow, plants make oil, oil is burned to extract solar energy input from it.
                        Least a veg oil fired heater could be relied on to give you a hot shower on a cloudy day and you wouldn't have to wait for the next sunny day for it to heat up again if your hot water ran out.

Comment

There is a discussion elsewere David about burners and BD or Veg Oil. would love to know if you have any info in this regard as way of practical experiance that you could share
                          Dave

Comment

OK, done. We now have an off-topic area.
                            Robert.
                            Site Admin.

Comment

Nice one Robert. The forum's looking good now!
                              Sean

Comment

Working...
                              X