Processor Plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Processor Plans

Hiya, I'm new to the forum and yet to make my biodiesel processor.

I want to find a schematic drawing of a well tested biodiesel processor for home use, I have found lots of photos on the web but because I will use tanks and pumps etc. which differ slightly from those used by others I only want a drawing of what to build then I will adapt the design to suit my materials and space.

Also how important is washing the biodiesel ?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Pete

Re: Processor Plans

Two Different thoughts

Comment

Very helpful that, thanks !
      Pete

Comment

Yes, very funny, but does anyone have any pointers for Pete for some real plans?
        Robert.
        Site Admin.

Comment

I think what Tilly's trying to say is that he gets asked that same old question over and over again so he feels like a perpetual motion machine! Am I right Tilly?

I'm in the middle of my appleseed build, and have just looked at what others have done and adapted their ideas for my own use.

You can start by checking out the basic Appleseed (and washtank) plans and photos here, more photos here and videos here. If you still need help, you can buy Appleseed plans here, although you shouldn't need them as the basic design is pretty simple.

It's really just a case of adapting the basic design according to what you can find. First of all get yourself a hot water tank from a scrapyard, then you can get all the plumbing fittings and pump etc to fit.

Once you've made a start you will probably have some questions, so come back and search the forums first, then ask away.

Also as I'm sure you are aware this is an Aussie based forum, so you won't get much help for UK specific enquiries.
          Sean

Comment

Hello Pangit

Actually I do not think there is an answer.
            I have seen many designs which seem to work well. It depends on so many things including what you have available and what talents you have.

Tilly

Comment

Heres a simple drawing of the hot water tank variety and a wash tank.

Washing is a personal choice and may depend on the vehicle you intend to use it in.

There are many different methods, do a search for 'waterless washing' or 'washing in the reactor vessel'

Comment

Originally posted by pangit
                I think what Tilly's trying to say is that he gets asked that same old question over and over again so he feels like a perpetual motion machine! Am I right Tilly?

I'm in the middle of my appleseed build, and have just looked at what others have done and adapted their ideas for my own use.

You can start by checking out the basic Appleseed (and washtank) plans and photos here, more photos here and videos here. If you still need help, you can buy Appleseed plans here, although you shouldn't need them as the basic design is pretty simple.

It's really just a case of adapting the basic design according to what you can find. First of all get yourself a hot water tank from a scrapyard, then you can get all the plumbing fittings and pump etc to fit.

Once you've made a start you will probably have some questions, so come back and search the forums first, then ask away.

Also as I'm sure you are aware this is an Aussie based forum, so you won't get much help for UK specific enquiries.
                Thanks Pangit, the drawing is exactly what I wanted.

How corrosive is the mixture once the methoxide is added ? I'm wondering how careful I need to be with the pump I buy, I can get one over here which is rated to be safe with corrosive chemicals but it's obviously very expensive compared to the same thing without the guarantee (£450) I think that's around 1,200 bucks in Oz.

Also one last thing, where do you find the best regular sources of WVO ?
                Pete

Comment

Re: basic 'Appleseed'

Does 'Appleseed' refer to the process or does it refer to using a water heater as the basic equipment?
                  G

Comment

The second one. Appleseed just a nickname for a processor based around a hot water tank. No idea why.

How corrosive is the mixture once the methoxide is added ? I'm wondering how careful I need to be with the pump I buy.......
                    It is corrosive, which is why people recommend using black iron pipe fittings instead of galvanised. It will also deteriorate the plastic tubing over time, but that can be replaced cheaply. There's no point in buying an expensive pump, as you can pick up the made in China ones dirt cheap on Ebay (around AU$50) and replace it when it dies. I haven't heard of others having to do that, as even the cheap ones usually have a brass impeller and I don't think that corrodes much. The ball valves are usually brass anyway, and they seem to do OK.

Also one last thing, where do you find the best regular sources of WVO ?
                    People say Chinese or Thai restaurants have the best quality WVO. But try anything in your local area.
                    Sean

Comment

Working...
                    X