Adapting an oil radiator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adapting an oil radiator

Has anybody played with the idea of adapting an oil radiator for heating the oil. New oil radiators are cheap and used ones are always being thrown out. Many have built in thermostats.
    G

Re: Adapting an oil radiator

Originally posted by gwalker
    Has anybody played with the idea of adapting an oil radiator for heating the oil. New oil radiators are cheap and used ones are always being thrown out. Many have built in thermostats.
    G
    Hi there
    Be careful with those things They are a sealed unit they heat up the space via convection
    The heating element is at the bottom, the oil is heated up it raises to the top As it looses is heat it falls down to the bottom so it is heated again and so on
    If you are going to use one make sure that it is completely open to the atmosphere so as to prevent an explosion from the water contained in the oil, steam is very powerful
    I would have thought that one of those things would be better put to use as an air cooled condenser to recover the methanol from the glycerin as well as the biodiesel
    Just a thought
    Cheers
    Chris
    Cheers
    Chris
    Never give up :)

Comment

I would very careful draining the oil out of them it may be very toxic stuff.

Comment

Hi
        If the unit is manufactured prior to 1974 that would be the case, very toxic The oil used those days was PCB very bad stuff
        Any thing made after that is mineral oil, dino stuff, no PCB's in it
        I doubt that the units thrown out are the latest models though
        So be cautious Better still leave them alone for heating oil
        However I do see a cheap condenser made out of them to recover methanol
        Cheers
        Chris
        Cheers
        Chris
        Never give up :)

Comment

Working...
        X