heat exchangers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heat exchangers

Hi I must admit I feel bad about my first post on this forum. I don’t really know anything about Biodiesel or SVO.

However I have had a few people contact me about plate heat exchangers that I sell from all over the world, from coconut oil in Timor to Mauritius veg oil. I sell the heat exchangers for cooling hot/boiling wort (beer). Using a perfectly good piece of brewing equipment for heating SVO I must admit has never crossed my mind, but after a couple customers buying them for this purpose I must admit I want to know more. Thankfully one of them (Gary) was kind enough to point me to your website.

Now I think I have an excuse to buy a 4x4 diesel now, I just need to work it out if I can do it for R&D and use it as a tax deduction.

I don’t know if my heat exchanger is exactly what you are looking for but you are always welcome to check it out. I call it the ChillOut, because it was meant to chill boiling wort, but it works both ways. Maybe I should release a model called the VegOut for all SVO users.
    http://www.mashmaster.com.au

Re: heat exchangers

Why (unless you have a large scale plant) would you bother going to the additional complexity of running a separate heating fluid circuit with associated hardware and loss costs?

Comment

I believe the heat exchanger would likely be used on a vehicle for heating the fuel as in an SVO system rather than on a processor. Those interested in a Solar heating system may be interested in using the heat exchanger on their processor setups.

Comment

I like plate heat exchangers; they often have many advantages BUT....... a sealed, non physically cleanable unit such as the one I came across on the website listed would not be my first choice for a product prone to waxing and sludging!

Do you then provide a separate flushing circuit?

Comment

There are two flows, one for each liquid, your case I assume hot radiator fluid and vege oil, each flow runs along 10 parallel plates.

Comment

How do you clean them?

Comment

Brissy, I've recently installed one of your very nice bi-metal thermometers in my new biodiesel processor. Works great!

So you have more than one product that is of use to us biodieselers!

As for the heat exchanger, it looks very similar to this one:
              which was used by one of the forum members for an SVO conversion (see full thread here)

Perhaps Tony or someone might be able to comment on the suitability of yours for an SVO conversion.
              Sean

Comment

Well I have Just installed one on my 80 Series Landcruiser for winter.
                My 80 has 2 fuel tanks the main 95litres and the sub 50litres. I have for the past few years had to add in some Dino diesel to winterise the bio for the Canberra conditions and a couple weeks ago when we got a couple frosts I raced off and put 40litres in the main and 20litres in the sub bloody hell $101.00. I have never made bio before to save money but bugger that. So I spent approx $200.00 for Heat exchanger fittings/hoses etc and I figure that B50 in the sub should last me the winter.
                Looks like it only takes a couple minutes to get warmth to the exchanger and this morning after only a couple minutes idling drove off like she was well warmed... So early days but very happy and it should pay for it's self in a couple months.. :-)

KiwiPeteACT/Landcruiser/Heat Exchanger - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
                HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
                Canberra

Comment

Hi, I am fairly new to using / making biodiesel, but have installed a 20 plate heat exchanger to my 05 Rodeo 4x4 ITD to help in the cold mornings that we are getting.

Like hdj80 says it only takes a few minuits to get it warmed up at an idle and of you go. Just re routed the heater hose through it on one side and the fuel hose just before the filter through it on the other side.

Got my heat exchanger on Ebay, all good.

cheers 05

Comment

Plate heat exchangers work wonders for heating fuel using coolant. They are very efficient and although fouling factors can decrease efficiency over use, it is not all that necessary to clean them. If your fuel is clean enough, there should be no worries. But, there are many ways to clean. One would be backflushing. Just attach in a fluid that's got some cleaning agents in it and flush it out in the opposite direction that the fluid was flowing.

Comment

Working...
                    X