remote heating design.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remote heating design.

Because my processor is a very thick 200L poly drum, I want to use a remote electric immersion heater inside a cylinder through which is pumped the WVO.

1. Would this be better positioned before the pump or after? ( I would opt for 'before the pump' as tI expect there will be less pressure to contend with.)
    2. Anybody built one or bought one?
    3. Are designs available?
    G
    gwalker
    Last edited by gwalker; 20 September 2006, 12:50 PM.

Re: remote heating design.

gwalker,
    While this is feasible, I believe that you will have much less of a problem and be more reliable using a small electric or solar Hot Water Tank and pumping hot water thru pipes immersed in the oil.
    1. The hot water tank will have an electric element and thermostat which can be set to a suitable temperature.
    2. The water will carry much more heat than the oil and thus will heat the oil in the processor more effectively than pumping the oil thru a heated chamber.
    3. The electric element will last longer as there will bve no build up of sediment and charred oil on the element.
    4. Electric pumps, designed to pump water, are readily available but not so readily available in designs suitable for vegetable oil.
    5. You will have a source of hot water in your work area.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Put the heater on the discharge side of the pump. Most pumps are more tolerant of increased discharge head than suction head increases.

Originally posted by Tony
      The water will carry much nore heat than the oil and thus will heat the oil in the processor more effectively than pumping the oil through a heated chamber
      I disagree...

Comment

Hmmm, my experience is that heat and plastic dont play well together, at around 70-80 degrees (depending on type of plastic)your drum will become soft. 50 degrees for the reactor should be OK. I had the same idea of pumping the oil through a heating chamber, but dismissed it due to the added complexity of fabrication. I had intended to pass the oil over the heater under pressure (read heater on output of pump) and introduce a slight bottle neck on the outside of the heating chamber (maybe 1" input 5/8" output). My theory was that the heater would transfer heat more effectivly as there was a smaller amount of it in contact with the element. To offset this though, you dont have a heater in the tank maintaining the thermal mass.

My two cents worth

Adam
        Rgds

Adam

"Revolution never comes with a warning!"

Comment

I wonder how all the US poly cone based systems heat the oil?

Comment

Hi There
            If you look at the spec's of the yankee as well as the European plastic reactors they are rarely heated, if they do it is limited to about 40 c just to help the reaction not to dry out the oil
            NL Bio King in europe has stoped selling the plastic reactors as some people increased the temp to the point where they melted or distorted the reactors Can you imagine the mess one has to clean up !
            Cheers
            Chris
            Cheers
            Chris
            Never give up :)

Comment

Chris, Thanks for this explanation. Makes sense!
              G

Comment

Working...
              X