Wash water oil trap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wash water oil trap

Reading some of the other threads about disposing of wash water I thought I would show an idea to reduce the amount of biodiesel going out with the water.
    I drain my water onto a paddock and was getting small dead patches of grass. By using the oil trap I have greatly reduced the problem and it surprised me how much bio collects in the drum.

I use a 20 litre drum with the top cut out, 3/4 inch poly fittings for all plumbing with some silicone for sealing.
    The wash water enters at the top, any oil floats on the water to the top allowing water to pass out the bottom outlet rise up the pipe and flow away. The vertical drainpipe is vented to stop siphoning.When enough bio accumulates down to the level of the tap I drain it out and put it in the next batch for washing. The plate in the bottom helps stop mixing.
    It works well because most of the wash water is oil free and only the last part has a lot of oil in it. It then has more time to seperate in the trap before the next batch of wash water.
    I don't think we want to get a bad reputation for putting oil down the sewer or elsewhere even if in what may seem small amounts.
    Hope this helps
    A diagram is attached.

Re: Wash water oil trap

Looks great, do you have a photo?
    Sean

Comment

What a great idea!!

I too have "crop circles".

I'm off to make one of these.

Comment

Here is a photo, you can see the oil on top of the water in the container. A simple idea that allows you to drain that bit extra wash water with out fear of polluting the ground or drain with fuel.
        bj4408

Comment

Thanks for the photo.

Where do you get skin fittings in PVC?

Comment

chev 28
            To attach the fittings through the container I use a tap reducer (1 to 3/4) as a nut on the inside. They usually come as part of a garden hose with fittings and most of the time get tossed in the spare parts box. Use some silicone to seal when you do it up.
            Biodiesel seems to have no effect on black poly fittings but don't use black hose washers, get the grey ones.

Comment

Does this work continuously so you are filling and draining at the same time, or do you leave it to settle before draining the water?

Also, does it capture any biodiesel when you start draining your wash tank, or only at the end? I would think it is only necessary to use it when you are draining the last few litres of wash water when the biodiesel starts coming through.

I like it though, I might just have to make one.
              Sean

Comment

Pangit
                I run all my wash water through the trap. You are correct that there is only biodiesel to catch at the end, that is why the plate is in the trap to reduce the amount of mixing and put your wash tank drain hose so it doesn't splash or stir up the trapped bio to much.
                It wont trap 100% of the bio but you will be surprised how much settles out. It allows you to drain more water from your wash tank without the worry of polluting.
                bj4408

Comment

brilliant concept, just a couple of questions. What material would you use for the plate. the other question, the fitting to the left of the picture where the water escapes, is that open at the very top for venting or is it sealed, i also imagine it is secured at the top for rigidness. It is not feeding form the container at top as well as on the bottom is it.

Cheers

Comment

Hi The Fuzz
                    The flat plate can be anything, I used an old floor tile sitting on a brick, whatever fits.
                    I used a saddle at the top vent to hold it all in place. The overflow has to be open otherwise it would syphon out and has to draw from bottom of drum only.
                    Adjust the flow from your wash tank so that your oil trap doesn't overflow. This flow rate will vary depending on your oil traps outlet pipe size and storage capacity above its fluid level at rest.
                    Hope that last part makes sense.
                    bj4408

Comment

Working...
                    X