Attaching fittings to poly tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attaching fittings to poly tanks

How do you attach fittings so that the bio won't leak?

Re: Attaching fittings to poly tanks

This might sound obvious but you use PVC tank flange fittings from a watertank shop. There are also brass flange fittings sometimes called "skin fittings".

Comment

Originally posted by Chev28
      This might sound obvious but you use PVC tank flange fittings from a watertank shop. There are also brass flange fittings sometimes called "skin fittings".
      Won't the BD eat the PVC fittings?

Comment

From what I have read, no. They might be affected by extreme heat but 60 degrees shouldn't affect them.

Check out what water tank fittings are made from anyway.

Comment

PVC is fine with bio at room temp but an absolute no no at temperatures where bio is made. They are only good at room temp as they soften and sag under temperatures like 50 or 60.

Use it in a cool wash tank and for distribution but not in the reactor.

Matt
          Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt
            they soften and sag under temperatures like 50 or 60.

Matt
            Are you talking about fittings or pipe here?

Comment

I have found poly fittings OK. Never used the hose but plumbers use it.

Comment

All comes down to the type of hose and fittings that you use and what they were designed for in the first place.

If you use the cheap block garden type poly and PVC fittings then you will have trouble with the pipe at 60deg C and might have trouble with the fittings under some conditions.

If however you go to the other end of the scale and use the Poly pipe that the Plumbers use in House's which they can now run Hot Water straight from the hot water system to showers and tapes then you won't have any problems with the heat. Will the BD cause you problems well I am sure only time will tell, but I would not have thought so.

It comes down to price most of the time and as people always say YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR most of the time that is anyway unless you find something cheap really special

Have fun it is all an experiment to discover what is out there and you will need to join in so that you can come along on the ride
                Dave

Comment

Working...
                X