X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert's Independent biodiesel tests

Mineral Diesel vs. ABG Biodiesel vs. BIA Biodiesel

Introduction

These tests were undertaken to attempt to understand why my primary electric fuel pump failed and why my secondary pump seems to work erratically when running on B100. I thought that by doing this, I might be able to offer the community some real experience/data. I also hoped to find the cause of this behaviour so I could try and eliminate the problems in my vehicle.
    Note: These tests are primitive, but as accurate and objective as I could make them. I have done this to try and find why my fuel pumps have seemed to behave differently with biodiesel to mineral diesel. Some credit must go to Tilly in the infopop forums for his "Dr Pepper Viscosimeter".

Objective

To determine if biodiesel from either of the 2 commercial producers in NSW is more viscous than mineral diesel. Additionally, I would like to determine if the cloud and gel point of these batches of biodiesel is any different to the current mineral diesel. This is being done to attempt to understand why the biodiesel appeared to cause my electric fuel pumps to fail.

Process

Obtain 3 samples in identical quantities.

1. Mineral diesel, as taken from a BP bowser in December (summer diesel)
    2. Biodiesel as supplied from Australian Biodiesel Group, which has been sitting in a steel drum for just over a month (and has diesel conditioner added to it about 3 weeks prior). This was also the fuel used when my pumps developed the problems.
    3. Biodiesel as supplied by Biodiesel Industries Australia in Rutherford, which was taken from a drum filled from their plant only days before. I have not yet put any of this in my vehicle.

Measure the temperature of each sample before pouring them through a device designed to restrict their flow and measuring the time taken. This should give a crude, but accurate indication of viscosity.

All samples are at same temp before viscosity test.

Secondly, put each sample in the fridge with a temperature probe in one of them and note the point at which each sample becomes cloudy and the point at which they gel.

Samples are put in the fridge with the probe in one to measure the temp.

Pre-test observations

Firstly, a visual inspection showed that the ABG sample was slightly cloudier than the BIA sample at ambient temp (27°C). However there may be other considerations here: the drum that the ABG sample came from has already been exposed to air a few times as various quantities have been pumped from it; biocide/diesel conditioner has been added to it; the pipe used on the pump which was immersed in it has a coating which oxidised on exposure to the biodiesel – possibly some of this stayed in the drum once the pipe was removed; the drum used may have contained some traces of engine oil in the bottom before it was first filled (the other drum with the ABI sample had already had a load of ABG biodiesel first, so less likely to contain old contaminants).

The ABG sample is slightly darker and more opaque.

The colour of the samples varied slightly, as did their translucence (as noted above). The ABG sample appeared a little darker. The mineral diesel sample was almost clear.

Note the colour difference between the ABG, Mineral and BIA samples

Viscosity test

A soft drink bottle was washed thoroughly and cut open. A small hole was drilled in the lid and then burrs removed to avoid turbulence. The top section was inverted and placed over the bottom section. The samples were each poured into the top section while the hole was plugged. A stop watch timed from the moment the hole was released until the flow stopped and the sample had passed through to the container below. These times were recorded for each sample before each sample was put in the fridge for the next test.

The "Viscosimeter"

Cloud Point/Gel Point Test

All three samples were lined up on a clear shelf in the fridge, with the temperature probe in the middle sample. It is possible that conditions inside the fridge may have made the outer samples colder first, though I think this would be negligible, so I only bothered to measure the middle sample. The door was opened a crack every 10 minutes or so to observe the translucency of the samples and the temperature of the probe.

At 4°C, the BIA sample is obviously gelled.

A closer look at the gelled sample.

The fridge would not go lower than 1°C and the freezer had no light in it, so I decided to stop the tests there. Any observations under this would not really be useful in this current Sydney summer climate.

The 2 remaining samples have still not clouded at 1°C

Results

Viscosity – time taken for each sample to flow through hole (at 27°C)

BIA – 1:59
    ABG – 2:04
    Dino – 1:57

Same test done after samples at 3°C

ABG – 2:21
    Dino – 2:02

Cloud Point

BIA - 8°C
    ABG – <1°C
    Dino – <1°C

Gel Point

BIA – 5°C
    ABG - <1°C
    Dino - <1°C

Conclusions

While the cloud point/gel point was much higher on the BIA sample, this make little difference for the time of year that the fuel was made for. Additionally, these points may have been lowered in the ABG sample due to the diesel conditioner which had been added to the drum. I don’t feel that any of this would have had any effect on the fuel pumps, as the temperature at the time the problems occurred was far above the cloud/gel point for all of these samples.
    The viscosity difference seems so small to be declared negligible at normal temperatures (about 3.5%) between the ABG and mineral samples. If viscosity increases as temperature decreases (it would seem slightly more with biodiesel), then surely winter with the mineral samples would also have put the same sorts of strain on my pumps? Why did they not fail then? I guess that our mineral diesel is well winterised to cope with such things, so possibly my pumps have never seen gelled fuel before.
    The electric pumps that failed could not have been so weak to have burned out at the first sign on resistance (although the pump that did burn out was known to have been problematic earlier.) I would guess that mineral diesel gunk that got flushed from the cleaning action of biodiesel must have got stuck in the pumps first (as both the primary and secondary pumps were before the filter in my vehicle.) This killed my primary pump quickly, as it was already known to be faulty and did not need much to burn out. My secondary pump still seems to run better on B50 and erratically on B100 and this is a mystery which I have still not managed to solve with these experiments.
    A specific gravity test would also be appropriate, but I have not the equipment to do this presently.

How can this result benefit other users? In vehicles such as mine, the 2 pumps before the filter is a real weakness. What can people with vehicles like mine do to prevent problems like this from happening to them? Perhaps there are some additives that can be put with dino diesel for a few tanks before using bio. Another option would be to remove the pumps and tank and ensure that the fuel system is completely clean before using biodiesel. Either way, this will deter most new users, so a better answer needs to be found.

The person who can give me the best answer as to why my secondary pump still seems to have problems on biodiesel, but returns to normal operation when mixed down to B50 wins my viscosimeter
    Robert
    Administrator
    Last edited by Robert; 5 December 2005, 10:17 AM.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Re: Robert's Independent biodiesel tests

In a desperate attempt to win a Viscosimeter ( ), here's my 2 cents worth.

In Immersed fuel pumps, the fuel that flows through the pump also cools and lubricates the pump. I don't imagine that lubrication is the issue, but could the fat based fuel have different cooling abilities to dino-diesel, or even electrical conductivity differences? Another possibility is the effect that the ABG fuel had on your hand pump pick-up pipe. Could the chemical make up of the ABG fuel have somehow interacted with the windings inside the immersed pump?
    Mazda's Secret Service motto: "Tell 'em nothing, charge 'em double".

Comment

Good point. The electrical conductivity has been suggested to me before, and I've stuck my multimeter in the biodiesel with the pins 1mm apart and I can measure no conductivity at all (same with mineral diesel). The cooling effect has also been suggested to me, but I don't really know how I could measure this.
      The corrosion issue is an interesting one. I know that biodiesel also eats some paint. I might need to do some tests on that pipe again with the BIA sample and see what it does. Unfortunately, I gave the dead pump to someone to try to find me a replacement (which they could not). They have since thrown the dead one away, so I have no real means of doing an autopsy on it now.
      Robert.
      Site Admin.

Comment

Good point Gunner, wonder if the solvent properties of bio has disolved the shelac insulation on the windings, that would cause the motor to burn out for sure. A measure of the electrical resistance through the motor could confirm this.
        Looks like you are in the running for the prize so far!!
        Peter

Comment

I measured the resistance between the 2 terminals when I first tested it, before I sent it away - it showed open circuit.
          Robert.
          Site Admin.

Comment

Corrosion test

Here's the start of my pipe test:

This is the same pipe that showed corrosion before when it was left in a drum of ABG biodiesel. This test won't prove that any parts inside the pump suffered from corrosion, but it will at least show us any differences in the corrosiveness of each of these samples on this pipe.

3 clean strips of rag have been placed on the pipe and each has been soaked in each of the 3 sample fuels. I will leave them like this for about 6 hours, then inspect underneath the rags. If no, or little effect is observed, I'll leave it for longer. This should show the pipe's coating start to blister or dissolve under any rags.
            Robert
            Administrator
            Last edited by Robert; 5 December 2005, 12:07 PM.
            Robert.
            Site Admin.

Comment

Well my "corrosion" tests have showed diddly squat. There is no evidence of the gunk that I saw before. I left it for days (and kept wetting the rags as they would dry out), but got no result, so I put the pipe back in the ABG sample, the same one that caused the sludge before. It's been in there for a couple of days now but shows no sludge. I'd have to conclude that the sludge was an algal growth and it must have been from before I added the biocide to the drum.
              This might also explain the darker, cloudier ABG sample. Perhaps the dead algal growth is still suspended in the mix.

On another note, I pulled apart the dead fuel pump. All clear inside, no sign of blockage or corrosion anywhere. I could see no reason why the pump should not be working, though I've yet to test the motor properly. It's obviously electrically dead and I can find no cause to blame biodiesel for this. I'll do some more thorough tests on this soon and post them here.
              Robert.
              Site Admin.

Comment

Hi Robert

Sorry to hear you are still having problems. Looking through some of my comments I noted from Forums around the globe, it seems that the problem you are having has happened many times to others. Many who tried large % of BD from the start. They later followed the principle of starting with low % BD to PD then moving upwards to the level at which the vehicle worked reliably. Those who increased slowly had problems for a while at running level that seemed to to improve over a period of time. Bd is certainly a powerfull cleaning agent , and we have little idea what the motor industry coatings are in our vehicles. Another thought I hold (tongue in cheek) is that many people (in forums, mainly US) in our DIY situations who have tried Commercial BD have made comments that the quality does not perform as good as a home brew. Commerce is commerce!!! I dont like making these type of comments, especially as they are good guys! but I wonder how you would go with a dose of Home Brew. . Hope things are sorted soon. Great efforts you are making, well done! keep it up.

Rgds

Dillyman

Comment

Working...
                X