X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making soap

Liquid soap is made with KOH + oil.

Bar soap is made with NaOH + oil.

Cream soaps use both KOH and NaOH (and oil!)

Seems to me you guys have everything you need to make soap! The process is way easier then making biodiesel, and there are lots of tutorials online.

If you are going to try it, I'd suggest starting with bar soap - look up cp soap or cold process soap.

Liquid soap and cream soap is a little more complicated and time consuming, so start with bar soap.

Glycerine? Yes - that is used in soap. But I've seen what you guys call glycerine and it's NOT what I use! LOL Mine is clear like water. If you can get yours clear like water, let me know and I'll PAY you for it! LOL!

Re: Making soap

Yes, Eliza, it has been covered lots of times. Have a look at my post in this link for the last comments on the process, and search around the site for more:
    http://www.biofuelsforum.com/making_...ycerine-6.html

Comment

Sorry, someone suggested I post it here.

Comment

Eliza

I did. thankyou for giving some insight. Yorta , I hadn't searched too far back so I missed it.

It's always good to see new people getting in the forum.

On that note my Glycerol is dark red. obviously too yuk for good soap but once I finally get my processor running properly, I'll start to work with the leftover for some bar soap. Look forward to any more post's on soap making.

Michael
        97 Jeep XJ Cherokee on B100. 0 km's on B100 and counting !!!! (Sold)
        2002 Merc ML270 now on B100. (Sold)
        2006 Ssangyong Musso 2.9 t idi (Sold)
        2015 NP300 Navara ( Sold )
        2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Stainless processor with blue water pump.
        Tetragonula Hockingsi

Take the Leap and grow wings on the way down

Comment

Michael,

If you want some glycerine mate just say the word. I will be getting rid of about 150 litres this weekend.

Comment

SUZUDDIS,
            you said you glycerol is red,what feed stock are you using?

My glycerol is dark brown/black,mostly black.
            I use Lard (Titrates @ 12g/L) and oil cannola I think (Titrates @ 2g/L)
            96 Dual Cab Rodeo B100% since Jan 2011

Comment

Oscum

I use canola oil from the local shop. I think he gets his money's worth from it though. Yes it is dark coloured and goes dark red when I settle it off. the Bio is red when I initially get it out then after settling it turns a golden honey colour. Mine titrates to 9.5 12 is high. wouldn't you be better acid processing ?

Cade

Yeah wouldn't mind taking some off your hands. probably would be 20 litres though. want it to clean up some things.

Michael
              97 Jeep XJ Cherokee on B100. 0 km's on B100 and counting !!!! (Sold)
              2002 Merc ML270 now on B100. (Sold)
              2006 Ssangyong Musso 2.9 t idi (Sold)
              2015 NP300 Navara ( Sold )
              2018 NP300 Navara ( B5 )

Stainless processor with blue water pump.
              Tetragonula Hockingsi

Take the Leap and grow wings on the way down

Comment

Yeah I would be better of using acid but finding it hard to buy sulfuric acid (> 90%) in Toowoomba.
                96 Dual Cab Rodeo B100% since Jan 2011

Comment

No problems Michael, I'll put a side a drum of runny stuff for you. Come around and pick it up when ever you want. give me a bell first though.

Comment

Originally posted by ALudlum4750

but it would be interesting to learn to make a soap as useful as Tide for washing dirty clothes. !
                    No. The soap made this way is not good for waqshing cloths unless by hand.

The reason is it does not contain any emolisifiers and the other secret things added to 'normal' laundry detergents. The job of the soap is to remove the dirt from the clothing. The job of the other secret ingrediants is to then keep that dirt in the water and stop it getting back on the clothing.

If you have ever lived where you have 'hard' water you will know all about the soap line around the bath tub at the high tide mark. Same thing will happen in the washing machine and when it pumps out this scum will redeposit on the clothing.

But there is a good side. This soap is good for washing almost everything else. Dishes, floors, cars, shower, yourself, your hair provided you don't colour or perm it.

Comment

There are hundreds of websites relating to making soap. Do a search for "Making soap from scratch" or "making cp soap" (cp stands for "cold process")

Good luck

Eliza

Comment

Working...
                      X